• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW's 50 Best ODI Cricketers of all time - 2017 Edition

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Nufan, you have missed Gordon Greenidge who has been nominated once. Here's my second nomination for him. Will keep rest of the noms for later.

1. Gordon Greenidge

J_C

U19 Captain
Nick Knight
Hansie Cronje
Inzamam-ul-Haq
Greg Chappell
Dennis Lillee
Carl Hooper
Yuvraj Singh
Matt Hayden
Michael Holding
Brett Lee
Roger Twose

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Personally can't stand the bloke, but if ODI nothing-achievers like Flintoff and Fairbrother can rate a mention, then Dean Jones deserves to be nominated and seconded 15 times over.

tobe_ornot2

Banned
No offence guys but some nominations are so silly e.g. Williamson and Buttler...really? Did some of you just start watching cricket in 2015 lol

Anyway let me get things back on track -

I second Afridi, Amla, Hayden and Pietersen.

I propose - Shoiab Akhtar, Michael Hussey, Daniel Vettori, Brendan McCullum, Saeed Ajmal, Mr International (Chris Gayle) and Shaun Pollock.

I'm shocked Gayle, Akhtar and Pollock have not yet been mentioned. I hope this is merely an oversight rather than some crafty voting or reflective of the level of cricketing knowledge folks have.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just asking but what's the purpose of nominations though? Wouldn't it just be better if everyone sent in a list of their personal top 50 players?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Just asking but what's the purpose of nominations though? Wouldn't it just be better if everyone sent in a list of their personal top 50 players?
The reason for nominations is to limit the number of people who exclude a player or two from their list because they forgot about a particular Cricketer. Nothing worse than reading someone say x player would have been higher if I didn't forget him.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I'm shocked Gayle, Akhtar and Pollock have not yet been mentioned. I hope this is merely an oversight rather than some crafty voting or reflective of the level of cricketing knowledge folks have.
All 3 have been mentioned. In fact Shaun Pollock has already qualified.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I'm going to use my second last pick on Miandad

Nominated - need 1 more pick
Ajmal, Saeed
Al Hasan, Shakib
Amarnath, Mohinder
Anderson, James
Astle, Nathan
Boon, David
Botham, Ian
Boycott, Geoff
Bracken, Nathan
Buttler, Jos
Cairns, Chris
Collingwood, Paul
de Kock, Quinton
Dilshan, Tillakaratne
Greatbatch, Mark
Gough, Darren
Gower, David
Harvey, Ian
Haynes, Desmond
Hick, Graeme
Hooper, Carl
Iqbal, Tamin
Jadeja, Ravi
Knight, Nick
Malinga, Lasith
Marshall, Malcolm
Martyn, Damien
McCullum, Brendan
McMillan, Brian
Miandad, Javed
Morgan, Eoin
Ntini, Makhaya
Rabada, Kagiso
Razzaq, Abdul
Rice, Clive
Sehwag, Virender
Sharma, Rohit
Sohail, Aamer
Steyn, Dale
Taylor, Ross
Trescothick, Marcus
Vaas, Chaminda
Vettori, Daniel
Williamson, Kane

Qualified (62 so far)
Abbas, Zaheer
Afridi, Shahid
Akram, Wasim
Akhtar, Shoaib
Ambrose, Curtly
Amla, Hashim
Anwar, Saeed
Bevan, Michael
Bond, Shane
Chappell, Greg
Cronje, Hansie
de Silva, Aravinda
de Villiers, AB
Dev, Kapil
Dhoni, MS
Donald, Allan
Fairbrother, Neil
Flintoff, Andrew
Ganguly, Sourav
Garner, Joel
Gayle, Chris
Gilchrist, Adam
Greenidge, Gordon
Hadlee, Richard
Harris, Chris
Hayden, Matthew
Holding, Michael
Hussey, Michael
Jayasuriya, Sanath
Jones, Dean
Kallis, Jacques
Khan, Imran
Kohli, Virat
Klusener, Lance
Lamb, Allan
Lara, Brian
Lee, Brett
Lillee, Dennis
Lloyd, Clive
McGrath, Glenn
Muralitharan, Muttiah
Mushtaq, Saqlain
Pietersen, Kevin
Pollock, Shaun
Ponting, Ricky
Richards, Viv
Rhodes, Jonty
Roberts, Andy
Root, Joe
Sangakarra, Kumar
Singh, Yuvraj
Starc, Mitchell
Streak, Heath
Symonds, Andrew
Tendulkar, Sachin
Twose, Roger
ul-Haq, Inzamam
Warne, Shane
Warner, David
Watson, Shane
Waugh, Mark
Waugh, Steve
Younis, Waqar

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Cheers Daemon. I'm going to stop using Excel and deleting names from one list to the other. I notice that I had completely removed Saeed Anwar who has actually qualified.

cnerd123

likes this
I'll second the following:

Al Hasan, Shakib
Botham, Ian
Bracken, Nathan
Cairns, Chris
Dilshan, Tillakaratne
Greatbatch, Mark
Malinga, Lasith
Miandad, Javed
Razzaq, Abdul
Vaas, Chaminda
Vettori, Daniel

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
Seconding:

Anderson, James
Boon, David
Boycott, Geoff
Gower, David
Harvey, Ian
Hooper, Carl
Knight, Nick
Marshall, Malcolm
McCullum, Brendan
Rice, Clive
Steyn, Dale

tobe_ornot2

Banned
All 3 have been mentioned. In fact Shaun Pollock has already qualified.
Akhtar wasn't on your list or I must have missed him. Anyway this is not going to be a good list as most people are simply nominating any home player that comes to mind.

Many aussies and English here so we're getting some absolute crazy picks. Rice one of the best top 50 ODI cricketers? Boycott?

Jeez.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Boycott? knight??? Do you not understand what top 50 means? These have to be the best of the best.
I believe we're merely making nominations to form a list from which we'll be picking the top fifty. Try not being so confrontational, it's not the be all and end all.

bagapath

International Captain
Hopefully this will prevent someone putting down a joke choice as their no.1 giving him 25 points and bringing him to the top 50 by virtue of that alone. It has happened before with Douglas Jardine getting a top spot on someone's list and thus becoming a top 50 test cricketer.

tobe_ornot2

Banned
I believe we're merely making nominations to form a list from which we'll be picking the top fifty. Try not being so confrontational, it's not the be all and end all.
I'm simply sttaing, how is it ok to even nominate them beyond national bias? What if they end up with nominations while better ODI players don't? It's a flawed system and something to be looked at. No one is being confrontational.