• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CWC 23 Fat XI

DriveClub

International Regular
As a professional athlete in this day and age regardless of your skill level the least you can do is maintain your fitness. It's like the bare minimum. If you can't do that just do any other 9-5 job like the rest of us and grow a beer belly no one cares. Most of these players at least the ones playing for established teams receive really nice paychecks.

DriveClub

International Regular
Why are we fat-shaming these guys? They may be fat, but cricket isn't exactly a sport where you need to have lean muscle in order to be effective. Some of the best players in history have been fat.
It's their job to maintain their fitness that's what they're getting paid for. You would expect a maths teacher to know basic maths

DriveClub

International Regular
Their job is to play cricket.
Which requires them to be a professional and look after their fitness. Being unfit has so many disadvantages - you will be a **** fielder, high probability to get injured, not able to contribute through fatigue due to lack of stamina etc.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Updated Fat XI

1. Rohit
2. Johnny Bairstow
3. ODowd
4. Angelo Mathews
8. Ashwin
9. Van der Merwe
11. Lahiru Kumara

Another fattie Hasaranga misses out because he's not playing in this world cup. Sri lanka has quite a few fatties in their squad. They must hate dieting
You can take it easy and name the Pakistani xi instead of thinking so hard

Himannv

International Coach
And? They're still unprofessional if they can't maintain basic fitness. That's a bare minimum as a sportsperson
That's just really your opinion and has nothing to do with whether they meet actual requirements of the teams they play for.

Chin Music

State 12th Man
And? They're still unprofessional if they can't maintain basic fitness. That's a bare minimum as a sportsperson
I recall the Samit Patel issue for England quite a while ago. It wasn't popular with many Nottinghamshire fans, but when he showed up in an early 2009 county game shown on TV, you could see why England had dropped him from their ODI tour of Wndies. He really was very short of the standards that you might expect for a professional sportsman and was visibly blowing after running between the wickets. Sure, you don't expect non-pace bowlers* to necessarily have similar fitness standards to professional footballers (for example), but batters need to be able to run between wickets and have enough stamina to continue to do so throughout their innings. This is particularly important in the hot weather that you are likely to encounter in India. Also, I guess that teams will require high fielding standards and it makes no sense if it is compromised by not being as fit as you can reasonably expect. Of course, it might be a good bit harder for say Afghan and Netherlands representatives to be of the same fitness standards as the fully professional sides, but you can understand that.

* I think it is obvious that you need real fitness to bowl quick, especially the elite fast bowlers who are generating much above 140kph on a regular basis.

DriveClub

International Regular
That's just really your opinion and has nothing to do with whether they meet actual requirements of the teams they play for.
Not my opinion - that's the universal truth. Bad fitness will impact a players longevity and will not be able to contribute to the team as much as they should. They're doing a disservice to the team and themselves.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Angelo Mathews is not fat. Some jerseys can be misleading ..If you check his Instagram page the dude is in decent shape
If he is in good shape I've never seen such a slug in the field. When he was chasing that first ball in the England/SL match I was wondering who the heck it was to start with before realising it was Mathews being recalled. I'd wager my 70 year old father would give him a decent challenge in a 30 meter sprint.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Not my opinion - that's the universal truth. Bad fitness will impact a players longevity and will not be able to contribute to the team as much as they should. They're doing a disservice to the team and themselves.
Yeah, Australia should have kicked SK Warne to the curb with his love for the pies and ciggies.

If you can play you can play mate......if weight and fitness are impeding them they don't get picked.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
If he is in good shape I've never seen such a slug in the field. When he was chasing that first ball in the England/SL match I was wondering who the heck it was to start with before realising it was Mathews being recalled. I'd wager my 70 year old father would give him a decent challenge in a 30 meter sprint.
You can have messed up knees , bad hamstrings etc that can prevent you from being a fast runner ,I think a 36 year old player is not usually going to be rapid , besides he still bowls , can still hit a cricket ball miles , lifts weights in the gym ..i think he's doing all right .