• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW chooses the second greatest batsman ever redux, 100 men from 5 eras whittled to 1

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jacques Kallis
Mahela Jaywardene
Ricky Ponting
Matthew Hayden
Shiv Chanderpaul

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
This is moving way too fast.

Round 1, Heat 10 (of 11)

Michael Hussey
Thilan Samaraweera
Mohammad Yousuf
Kumar Sangakarra
Kevin Pietersen
Virender Sehwag
Younus Khan

Mishbah Ul-Haq
Graeme Smith
Michael Clarke

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This is moving way too fast.

Round 1, Heat 10 (of 11)

Michael Hussey
Thilan Samaraweera
Mohammad Yousuf
Kumar Sangakarra
Kevin Pietersen
Virender Sehwag
Younus Khan

Mishbah Ul-Haq
Graeme Smith
Michael Clarke

do you actually think that?

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Mohammad Yousuf
Kumar Sangakarra
Virender Sehwag
Younus Khan
Graeme Smith

Only just realised Sehwag's career average ended under 50.

Last edited:

Zinzan

do you actually think that?
Strange you'd doubt him. What exactly struck you as being so weird about his selections? I mean who did he miss?

Unless you were asking if he thinks the thread if moving too fast...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Strange you'd doubt him. What exactly struck you as being so weird about his selections? I mean who did he miss?

Unless you were asking if he thinks the thread if moving too fast...
Yeah I think he was referring to the too fast thing.

viriya

International Captain
Yes there's too little time per heat. If someone wants to vote in all heats then he can't love his sleep as much as I do.
Yea I also missed one because of sleep..

But I considered it my fault for picking a healthy sleep schedule over something that actually matters...

watson

Banned
Laxman over Mahela really shows the aussie bias in this thread. Not surprising.

The bias comes about because Jayawardene averaged 60 in Sri Lanka, but 40 Away from home. An Away average of 40 is actually pretty good, but put Mahela up against a decent bowling attack and his average plummets to 27.

So bias works both ways.

(But yeah, Jayawardene should be close to Laxman in the voting)

Which batsmen thrive against the best bowlers?

......It is no surprise that top batsmen perform strongly against weaker attacks. Some more so than others, though. For Brian Lara and Tendulkar the difference in their performance against stronger attacks and weaker attacks is about 7 runs per innings. For Mahela Jayawardene, it is about 22 runs. For Jacques Kallis, it is 20 runs. For Ponting, Border and Rahul Dravid, it is about 13 runs.

Blogs: Kartikeya Date: Which batsmen thrive against the best bowlers? | Cricket Blogs | ESPN Cricinfo

Last edited:

Burgey

Laxman over Mahela really shows the aussie bias in this thread. Not surprising.
Loved watching Jayawardene bat, but quite frankly, if it wasn't a test match being beamed in from Sri Lanka, the experience was often all too short.

Not so with Laxman.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Yea I also missed one because of sleep..

But I considered it my fault for picking a healthy sleep schedule over something that actually matters...
All the things that we do in life are because either 1. We want to sleep peacefully, or 2. We want to sleep with someone.