• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW Awards for 6th-13th May

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I'm personally gutted I've never won the Saj (or to the best of my knowledge). For all my ranting in OT (has become CW famous tbh), my rants haven't been able to get me the gong.

Really grinds my gears. No it sickens me :@
Saj is a RARE award. Only 11 have been given so far. Its also one of the only two awards that has never been won twice by the same poster.

You have to strive harder for this one. :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Also wrt to Richard, I hope you don't take offense but it's really weird how whenever you find out someone's real name, from what I've noticed, you automatically stop using their forum name and start using their first names, regardless of whether or not they're commonly referred to that on the forum. Like everyone calls vic_orthdox Jack or AussieDomminance Rodgie, but why do you start calling me Zac or Adharcric Akhil when practially no-one on the forums ever refer to us/him in that manner? Like I don't care that much, but it is really quirky and a little bit cringeworthy I might add. I don't like to jump on any bash Richard bandwagon that seems to happen here every so often, but it's just something that has been annoying me for a while.
TBH, I found-out you were called Zac Gelman not long after I reappeared in January. With you, it's simply the fact that "pasag" was just you running your fingers over the keyboard, and because of that I feel extremely weird calling you something which I know is nothing more than a random set of letters. And TBH, I hardly ever see anyone call you "pasag", and it makes me think "haha" whenever I do.

As regards Akhil, I did used to call him adhar (CBA writing "adharcric" every time) but then I found-out that it was simply an initial followed by surname - which would be like me calling myself rdickinson - which also strikes me as very weird, even if adhar flows the way rdickinson doesn't.

Wherever I know someone's real name, purely and simply, I use it (unless they've specifically asked me not to) and given that I've been here a fair while and read most posts I know virtually everyone's real name unless they've chosen not to disclose it. There are enough of us, in any case (the boss, Neil, me, Craig, Pratyush, Sudeep even if he virtually never posts any more, Marc, SJS, Simon these days even if he virtually never posts any more, Jono, Tom Halsey, Jamee, Brumby, Matteh, PY in initials at least, Tim The Kiwi, Andy Cloete, Adam Collins, etc.) whose posting-IDs are simply our real names, and there are people like Fuller, Smith, Liam Camps, Kyle, Cameron, Bennett, Patrick, Dav, Colin even if he hardly posts at the moment, Xavier, Matt Pitt, Towns, Tarick, etc. who virtually never get referred to by their posting-IDs and almost exclusively by their real names. There are a few who get referred to by both (Hingston\Lang, Andrew Garven\age, Reuben\lord, Manan\ss, Moerk\Vimes, Brendan\Blewy, Thami\chaminda_00, Henry\sledger [and he's one of very few whose name I know but still think of him by his posting-ID], Jesse\Slow Love™, Kurt\nibbs, etc.). But very rare are those who're referred to by posting-ID almost exclusively (le, tec, Scaly piscine - though not by me - Voltman, C_C if he comes back, JASON).

It really does amaze me that it's anything anyone really takes much note of! :mellow: I could - and did not so long ago - name near enough every remotely regular poster by name. And I'd imagine near enough everyone wouldn't mind, or think "why's he referring to me by my name not my posting-ID?"

As for the "new posters don't know who we're on about" - I actually genuinely do have some experience of that, given the number of absences I've had. Usually, and more than ever on the most recent occasion given that I'd been away for over 7 months, there are people who at first I don't know who are being referred to. But I almost instantly pick it up. I'm amazed it's a big problem to some.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
Wherever I know someone's real name, purely and simply, I use it....
I know, my question is why? Obviously it's your right to post however you want and I'm trying not to be too critical, but that's a fairly strange practice you've acquired. There is the way people are known on CW by most and you seem to totally reject that. Noone calls Slow Love, Jesse or Sledger, Henry. It seems like you've shunned all the forum norms to instead use your own set of rules. IMO, you take everything to extremes, you don't have to refer to every single person with their real name, some moderation might be required, imo.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I know, my question is why? Obviously it's your right to post however you want and I'm trying not to be too critical, but that's a fairly strange practice you've acquired. There is the way people are known on CW by most and you seem to totally reject that. Noone calls Slow Love, Jesse or Sledger, Henry. It seems like you've shunned all the forum norms to instead use your own set of rules. IMO, you take everything to extremes, you don't have to refer to every single person with their real name, some moderation might be required, imo.
If someone objects to it I'd be quite happy to.

I honestly don't know why it's a "practice I've acquired". It's just... the way it's happened. As I say - I tend to think of Henry - even though I talk to him on MSN ATT (and he varies between Dr Funkenstein and Henry on there) - as sledger, and I don't know why.

It's certainly not an attempt to shun norms. I honestly had never, ever remotely thought about it before now.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Right now, on a purely selfish level, I don't care if anyone else real names or not, because I'm basically farmilar with them all. However, until say, December last year, I knew very few of them and did indeed find it extremely annoying when I saw something like "As Gelman said.." or "I agree with Smith" for example.

It's quite possible that new/semi-regular members could feel excluded by it - or if not, certainly confused and annoyed if they didn't know who was being referred to. I'm quite often referred to as Rob / Robert / Rob Cribb / Robert Cribb, especially by Richard, and I don't mind in the slightest, but I would like all members to know that it actually is me when it's said so I've included it in my signature to avoid confusion.

I don't really care either way, TBH, but I can certainly see potential problems with it.

Matt79

Global Moderator
As for the "new posters don't know who we're on about" - I actually genuinely do have some experience of that, given the number of absences I've had. Usually, and more than ever on the most recent occasion given that I'd been away for over 7 months, there are people who at first I don't know who are being referred to. But I almost instantly pick it up. I'm amazed it's a big problem to some.
Except that you're a) very conversant with these kinds of forums, b) very familiar with CW, and c) spend a huge amount of time on the forum. So although you'll probably pick a lot of these things up after only a few 6 hour sessions after an absence, the average new guy who might only spend an hour or two tops is going to not know what you're talking about.

I'm probably at the other extreme from you. I'm very keen on maintaining a separation between my online "presence" and my real life, and therefore have deliberately never posted anything that would identify who I am, beyond my first name and city of residence. As such, I'm probably letting that attitude colour my reaction to the whole calling people by their real, full, names on the forum - if the people in question don't mind then who am I to object really? The question of whether your posts are going to make less sense to those outside the 20 or so very regular posters here is for you to decide whether you care about or not.

I should at that I'm probably being a touch hypocritical in that I'll use real first names sometimes in OT, but only for people like Jack, Fuller and Greg, who virtually everyone calls by name.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Right now, on a purely selfish level, I don't care if anyone else real names or not, because I'm basically farmilar with them all. However, until say, December last year, I knew very few of them and did indeed find it extremely annoying when I saw something like "As Gelman said.." or "I agree with Smith" for example.

It's quite possible that new/semi-regular members could feel excluded by it - or if not, certainly confused and annoyed if they didn't know who was being referred to. I'm quite often referred to as Rob / Robert / Rob Cribb / Robert Cribb, especially by Richard, and I don't mind in the slightest, but I would like all members to know that it actually is me when it's said so I've included it in my signature to avoid confusion.

I don't really care either way, TBH, but I can certainly see potential problems with it.
Great sig, Oliver mate :p

Ash_A55

U19 Captain
However, until say, December last year, I knew very few of them and did indeed find it extremely annoying when I saw something like "As Gelman said.." or "I agree with Smith" for example.

It's quite possible that new/semi-regular members could feel excluded by it - or if not, certainly confused and annoyed if they didn't know who was being referred to.
I agree totally, when i first joined people's forum names did not match up to the names people were calling each other. I was confused more often than not as to who was who.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Personally, it doesn't matter to me what you call me by. I do know who Gelman and Sean are, being absolute legends, but I have no idea who 'Jack' or 'Smith' are. And I have almost 10k posts (partly because I am not as active in OT as I am in CC)! If I was only on here few hours here and there, I wouldn't have any idea who ANYONE was.

I have to agree that calling people by their board names is much better for these types of threads.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Its actually a pretty interesting discussion as pretty much all sides have a valid point.

using forum names only

When Richard calls me Kev instead of Goughy, I have no issue with it. In fact when anyone uses it I dont mind at all and it does add a certain degree of familiarity that is comfortable. In the same regard, I have no issues with Goughy as it is obviously my forum name.

As pasag points out, it can be confusing though and the use of RL names to a new member or outsider can quickly shift from familiarity into cliquey. It can make forum use difficult is you cant easily recognise what is being siad about someone.

As Matt79 mentions, people are not always comfortable with RL and online coming together. Similar to him, noone (apart from 2 I think) know my real surname. Thats not to say I want an air of mystery surrounding me but that it is nice to have that seperation.

Good discussion with all 3 sides having valid points.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Agree with Richard here, up to a point. I have no problems with people calling me by my first name (Sam), regardless of whether they know me or not, because I know that nobody in real life knows me as PhoenixFire, simply because I never tell anyone.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Its actually a pretty interesting discussion as pretty much all sides have a valid point.

using forum names only

When Richard calls me Kev instead of Goughy, I have no issue with it. In fact when anyone uses it I dont mind at all and it does add a certain degree of familiarity that is comfortable. In the same regard, I have no issues with Goughy as it is obviously my forum name.

As pasag points out, it can be confusing though and the use of RL names to a new member or outsider can quickly shift from familiarity into cliquey. It can make forum use difficult is you cant easily recognise what is being siad about someone.

As Matt79 mentions, people are not always comfortable with RL and online coming together. Similar to him, noone (apart from 2 I think) know my real surname. Thats not to say I want an air of mystery surrounding me but that it is nice to have that seperation.

Good discussion with all 3 sides having valid points.
Ah, so you're not actually called Kev Gough? That explains why your main-site ID is Kev Goughy. I'd often wondered that. :)

If people want a separation, anonymity, etc. - to add once more, I think I've already mentioned - it's not something I have the slightest issue over. Some people want that, and there are all sorts of reasons why they might. It's not a requirement of mine, and near enough everyone who posts with any regularity knows I'm Richard Dickinson.

I take what people are saying on board, too - it had honestly simply never remotely occurred to me how many people don't know who "Smith" or "Bennett", for instance, are - and from now on I'll try to leave brackets of forum-ID whenever I mention someone by non-forum-ID (unless, of course, it's "Neil Pickup").

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Except that you're a) very conversant with these kinds of forums, b) very familiar with CW, and c) spend a huge amount of time on the forum. So although you'll probably pick a lot of these things up after only a few 6 hour sessions after an absence, the average new guy who might only spend an hour or two tops is going to not know what you're talking about.
Oi! 6 hours?! That's nearly half a waking day! I'm on these forums a lot (and of course I spend some time doing work for the rest of the site in addition), but it's rarely if ever that long! :p
I'm probably at the other extreme from you. I'm very keen on maintaining a separation between my online "presence" and my real life, and therefore have deliberately never posted anything that would identify who I am, beyond my first name and city of residence. As such, I'm probably letting that attitude colour my reaction to the whole calling people by their real, full, names on the forum - if the people in question don't mind then who am I to object really? The question of whether your posts are going to make less sense to those outside the 20 or so very regular posters here is for you to decide whether you care about or not.
16toS, I think, is a of a very similar mindset. It's not something I could possibly comprehend - I don't want to be two separate people, though obviously there are parts of my personality that don't come out on CW, and people have said that to me upon speaking for the first few times on MSN - but obviously IF people do then as I say above, that's up to them.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Who knew the CW Awards for last week would lead to this interesting discussion. I've been quite fascinated reading the different points of view. Personally, I tend to use forum names when I address someone. I'm just not sure if they would mind me addressing them with their real name. I have no reason to think someone maybe offended by that, but why take a chance? I have generally not disclosed my real name to the CW community either, unless I happened to communicate via e-mail with someone. One reason is that I prefer to remain anonymous. The other is that I share my name with a rather prominent forum member and I feel it would be confusing if we both got referred by our real names. :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Another FRAZ, are you? :p

Disappointed you still haven't given your speech of thanks in your acceptance of this week's Saj. :(

EDIT:
Who knew the CW Awards for last week would lead to this interesting discussion.
and yes, very much so! :mellow: