• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Crowds

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Andy, some people continue to post same drivel over and over again, despite given several reasons why Indian fans may not want to watch a neutral game from the stands. Stuff like "Always get the feeling that Indians don't like following sport, they just like following India" and continuous references to "1 Billion population " is just annoying.

I can provide many more valid reasons why Indian fans don't flock the stadium for neutral matches but I am sure I am not going to get anything more mature than the "Yep, that sure did convince me" type response.
It's a response which was measured to the maturity levels of the post it was relating too.

Mate, you're not the only one in the world who as been/lived in India. I have many Indian friends who I have discussed this issue with and for all intents and purposes they agree with me, because believe it or not, they're not too pig headed to see that it isnt a personal attack on them or their countriy. Sort your **** out.

If you think India deserves their cricket obsessed reputation, good for you. Don't act like a tool about it though. Your debating style is very poor and needlessly childish.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I find this thread so offensive. There is so much cultural and socio - economic context behind something like this, discussing which is not only distasteful but also out of scope of this forum. I don't understand why mods haven't closed this thread yet.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
It's a response which was measured to the maturity levels of the post it was relating too.

Mate, you're not the only one in the world who as been/lived in India. I have many Indian friends who I have discussed this issue with and for all intents and purposes they agree with me, because believe it or not, they're not too pig headed to see that it isnt a personal attack on them or their countriy. Sort your **** out.

If you think India deserves their cricket obsessed reputation, good for you. Don't act like a tool about it though. Your debating style is very poor and needlessly childish.
You are quick to pick faults in my debate style and quicker to paint 1 billion indian fans in the same brush based on your discussion with a handful of Indian friends. I have explained in many times in this thread and each time you have ignored it in a stubborn fashion and instead chosen to attack me. Not that it makes any difference to me.

About your friends, They may agree with you because that is perhaps their opinion as well but it still does not make your sweeping statement "Always get the feeling that Indians don't like following sport, they just like following India" anymore valid. I am sure there are many Indians who particularly like following Indian sportsmen and I am sure there are equal no. (if not more) who like to follow sports regardless of which country they are from.

Last edited:

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You are quick to pick faults in my debate style and quicker to paint 1 billion indian fans in the same brush based on your discussion with a handful of Indian friends. I have explained in many times in this thread and each time you have ignored it in a stubborn fashion and instead chosen to attack me. Not that it makes any difference to me.

About your friends, They may agree with you because that is perhaps their opinion as well but it still does not make your sweeping statement "Always get the feeling that Indians don't like following sport, they just like following India" anymore valid. I am sure there are many Indians who particularly like following Indian sportsmen and I am sure there are equal no. (if not more) who like to follow sports regardless of which country they are from.
I like crème brûlée, doesn't mean I'm obsessed with it.

Bun

Banned
Another record? 68 million watched World Cup final - The Times of India

Team India's victory at Wankhede will not only go down in history as one of the greatest cricketing victories for the country, but also as one of the most viewed sporting events on television ever.

An unprecedented 67.6 million people watched the gripping final that had most Indians at the edge of their seats. The number of viewers on Saturday—according to the data collated by audience measurement agency aMap—has surpassed the Indo-Pak semi-final that was perhaps the most anticipated match of the tournament for the subcontinent audience. The number of viewers for the semi-final was 67.3 million. The other semifinal—Sri Lanka vs New Zealand—paled in comparison with only 32 million viewers.

Incidentally, TRP viewership for India matches leaped from 3.7 before the quarterfinals to 6.4. About 53 million watched the India vs Australia clash in the quarter-finals. aMap vice-president Jinita Shah said, "Yesterday's viewership broke all records. Every Indian was glued on to TV to see the big win. Viewership increased almost four times on Saturday.'' According to aMap, 64% of cable and satellite homes watched the Men in Blue clinch the World Cup. The average viewership rating for the final was 13.6, which peaked at 21.4 during the end of the match—higher than the high-voltage Indo-Pak encounter at Mohali. However, most industry watchers will wait for the TAM ratings that most media agencies subscribe to for a full analysis.

The aMap data, though, is an indication of the unprecedented viewership that the final clocked. The average time spent recorded on the match was an impressive 187 minutes.

"The World Cup finals will break all records possible as far as cricket viewership or any other programme in recent times is concerned. Peaks could touch ratings of 40 and average would be higher than 30. Considering India won and it happened in India while the contests were well fought, this World Cup has given the sponsors the biggest returns compared to other years," said Ajit Varghese, MD of Maxus, which bought media for brands like Vodafone, Fiat, Nokia and Hero Honda among others.

68 million = 3+ times Australian population and more than that of United Kingdom:shock:

Last edited:

Bun

Banned
And I think all the knockouts were houseful as well. Brilliant exhibition for a world tournament imho

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
68 million = 3+ times Australian population and more than that of United Kingdom:shock:
And also about 5% of the Indian population.

2005 Ashes finale saw about 12-13% of the UK population watching on a workday.

Bun

Banned

which brings 2 things to my mind:

1. TV penetration is pretty low in India despite all the increase in income and all etc. Which also puts to test the theory that all Indians are cricket mad.
2. If just 5% at peak can generate so much of cricketing revenue, imagine in the coming years when that % rises to say 15-20!

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member

5 % of overall Indian population is not the correct way to measure that, if you count the households that have a television, it will be a lot higher.

According to ITV, India has about only 138 Million homes have Cable & Satellite. and if 68 million watched, that's an amazing feat and I am not sure any other sporting tournament in the world can match that in terms of %.

jeevan

International 12th Man
I like crème brûlée, doesn't mean I'm obsessed with it.
We may or may not be obsessed with "creme brulee". We may even suck at making it. But if we own 70% of the market for it, then the point is:

If you only care about cold hard numbers, the amount of revenue that India sources is the only one that really matters at the business of cricket. The number of Indian fans, the depth of their interest or knowledge, the quality of Sanz's arguments are all quite secondary to this by orders of magnitude. Harsh, but so is life.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
5 % of overall Indian population is not the correct way to measure that, if you count the households that have a television, it will be a lot higher.

According to ITV, India has about only 138 Million homes have Cable & Satellite. and if 68 million watched, that's an amazing feat and I am not sure any other sporting tournament in the world can match that in terms of %.
To be honest, if you're going by that then it's been matched and surpassed in the past by most England football matches in major tournaments.

centurymaker

International Captain

6+ people per house

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Well 68m watching in 138m homes is roughly the same proportion as 11m watching in 20m homes in England (assuming all homes have a TV set) - England-USA in the last World Cup got nearly 20m viewers.