• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketweb's most overhyped players.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Personally, I think Flintoff is more overhyped by the players who batted and bowled against him than the people on this forum.

Especially you aussies.
Reckon this is a very good point personally. The fact that he's meant to be a stand-up bloke would no doubt be a factor as well.

tooextracool

International Coach
Reckon those who have faced him/bowled to him would be a better judge of how good he is rather than us armchair critics, tbh. Would have to take their word for it.
Perhaps so, though I think with Flintoff because he bowled a heavy ball, was constantly at you and was quite likely to bruise you any over of the day anywhere in the world, I can see why people would hate batting against him.

However, his biggest problem was that he didn't bowl on the stumps often enough and consequently didnt get as many wickets as he could have. Hence, we have his end of career record.

Maximus0723

State Regular
There is also the fact that according to some, if a bad decision happens to a normal player, that's cricket. If it happens to Tendulkar it's a travesty of the highest order.
lol so true
but i guess it's not his fault. He probably the first person to say "meh, just part of the game".

So yea I agree Tendulkar is overhyped but he certainly isn't the most overhyped.

Ishant Sharma has been most overhyped Indian for quite some time.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Perhaps so, though I think with Flintoff because he bowled a heavy ball, was constantly at you and was quite likely to bruise you any over of the day anywhere in the world, I can see why people would hate batting against him.

However, his biggest problem was that he didn't bowl on the stumps often enough and consequently didnt get as many wickets as he could have. Hence, we have his end of career record.
I don't think numbers of wickets are the only considerations when judging a bowler. If Flintoff was able to unsettle batsman, build pressure and inspire those around him, then those are assets which should be counted in his favour.

And the best judges of those things are the people who played with him.

Certainly he's somewhat overhyped though.

Obviously Tendulkar is overhyped when some of his fans genuinely believe him to be divine, but he's still probably the second greatest batsman of all time, and greatest one of our generation.

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
I don't think numbers of wickets are the only considerations when judging a bowler. If Flintoff was able to unsettle batsman, build pressure and inspire those around him, then those are assets which should be counted in his favour.

And the best judges of those things are the people who played with him.

Certainly he's somewhat overhyped though.
Yeah all of that is true, I think most people will agree that he was a better bowler than his statistics indicated. But I think you'll find that even the most mediocre pace bowlers in test match cricket had a better SR than him and you cant completely ignore that.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
To be clear though, just because players are overhyped doesn't mean they aren't still exceptional.
Yeah people don't realise that overhyped and overrated isn't always a slight on the player. It just means that they're not necessarily as good as the media or fans make them out to be. They can still be good, hell they can still be great.

irottev

U19 Cricketer
Yeah people don't realise that overhyped and overrated isn't always a slight on the player. It just means that they're not necessarily as good as the media or fans make them out to be. They can still be good, hell they can still be great.
Exactly! Couldn't have said it better myself.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, it is definitely is a slight. If I say player X is overrated, I'm therefore implying that the achievements of player X are overrated.

Last edited: