• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CricketWeb selects the ATG ODI XI

TheGreatest

U19 Cricketer
Pollock unfortunately never fulfilled his potential as a batter because he always came down the order. Had he batted at 6 then he would have scored like Ian Botham.

subshakerz

International Coach
Think I am under-rating Pollock's ODI batting. Have never seen him doing much with the bat except for that world series.
I think you may be. Averaging 30 at no.7 ain't no joke. I also think we are hyping up the importance of this batting position. Dhoni at 6 is the more important one who is the finisher while Pollock is backup, you just need Pollock to stay around until the end and hit a few lofty blows with Akram.

I just think the McGrath, Garner, Akram, Murali, Pollock bowling attack sounds so miserly that I don't see many teams scoring 300 or even 280.

subshakerz

International Coach
This is hilarious. Can Aus just have McGrath back please, then you guys can put in whoever you like instead. Aus can then just run the 03 or 07 WC sides against your chosen line up and towel them to kingdom come.
I also find it cool that Australia didn't get very reflected. Thought one of Gilly, Ponting or Warne would also sneak in.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
gilchrist + flintoff looks tempting solves the 5th bowler problem also

Gilchrist *
Sachin
Viv (c)
Kohli
ABD
Flintoff
Kluesner
Pollock
Akram
Garner
Murali/Warne

Better than any other ATG XI combos anyone can think of.

Could bat till 9. Still undecided on whether Warne batting could mke up for Murali's slightly better bowling.
Warne has no place in ODI ATG XI where there are two better spin options.

Dhoni's value is heavily underestimated here. He is one of the ATG ODI batters, a class above Gilchrist. Gilchrist, Jayasuriya, Shewag are comparable to each other, but not Dhoni.

Tendulkar
Jayasuriya / Watson
Richards
Kohli
ABDV
Dhoni*+
Klusener
Pollock / Garner
Akram
Murali
McGrath

would be my XI. Saying this XI cannot collapse is a misconception. A Second XI taking on this

Gilchrist
Dilshan
Ponting
Lara
Abbas
Bevan
Dev
Imran
Hadlee
Ambrose
Saqlain

with Imran, Hadlee, Ambrose and Saqlain bowling to them can very well be 5/17 in no time. So you need a versatile batsman who can pace the innings and hit big too. Dhoni is the ideal candidate.

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
Tendulkar
Jayasuriya / Watson
Richards
Kohli
ABDV
Dhoni*+
Klusener
Pollock / Garner
Akram
Murali
McGrath
Why not both Pollock and Garner? U can pick Dhoni or Gilchrist however u want but Garner and Pollock are locked in an ATG XI.

Also Sehwag is clearly a league below Gilchrist

Last edited:

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Warne has no place in ODI ATG XI where there are two better spin options.

Dhoni's value is heavily underestimated here. He is one of the ATG ODI batters, a class above Gilchrist. Gilchrist, Jayasuriya, Shewag are comparable to each other, but not Dhoni.

Tendulkar
Jayasuriya / Watson
Richards
Kohli
ABDV
Dhoni*+
Klusener
Pollock / Garner
Akram
Murali
McGrath

would be my XI. Saying this XI cannot collapse is a misconception. A Second XI taking on this

Gilchrist
Dilshan
Ponting
Lara
Abbas
Bevan
Dev
Imran
Hadlee
Ambrose
Saqlain

with Imran, Hadlee, Ambrose and Saqlain bowling to them can very well be 5/17 in no time. So you need a versatile batsman who can pace the innings and hit big too. Dhoni is the ideal candidate.
Not sure if Warne gets into the third XI too. In tests, sure he gets in. But in ODIs, I think Hogg should go in ahead of Warne.