• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket v/s Baseball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
roseboy64 said:
Pitching requires different skills from bowling. It's not easy trust me. Sometimes pithcers will have to throw like 30 straight piytches in one innings. The only way a bowler would go through that is if he was really bad.
So we just have to ask Tuffey then what it is like?

Deja moo

International Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I hope you're kidding. As Kyle said, it's a totally different mechanical process and a lot more to be done out of the hand. They don't get help off the pitch.
And thats relevant how ? A bowler has to do a lot out of the hand too. The ball wont do anything off the pitch unless the bowler had input in it doing so.

Deja moo

International Captain
Mister Wright said:
2 bowlers out of how many? I don't see them playing 5 games a week either.

1 test match with 15 overs per innings = 30 overs = 180 deliveries/week.

And it isnt just 2 bowlers. Every bowler strains himself. Some spin bowlers dont get shoulder injuries for nothing.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
Swervy said:
im not american!!!!
nice comeback, i stuck up for the game as best as I could, but my final defense is to distance myself from the inventors of the game.

in actual fact i would consider it worse liking the game when your not american rather than being american and bought up on the game (thus not known better). just a thought.

Josh

International Regular
slugger said:
nice comeback, i stuck up for the game as best as I could, but my final defense is to distance myself from the inventors of the game.

in actual fact i would consider it worse liking the game when your not american rather than being american and bought up on the game (thus not known better). just a thought.
What the hell??

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Your average pitcher generally throws his arm out towards the end of the season and can't pitch at all outside of the season because the tendons and muscles need to heal. I think that says it all as far as how much effort is required to be a top-flight pitcher. You literally SHRED your muscles and tendons in pitching. Once they retire, most pitchers can't raise their arms above shoulder height without extreme pain.

you guys have one whole team for offense and another whole team for defense.
Your average ice hockey team has three scoring lines and a checking line which swap at regular intervals. This doesn't in any way diminish the effort they have to put in. I've played ice hockey and know that when you hear people complain about how hard it is to be on the ice for more than 2 minutes at a time, they are right on the money. For that 2 minutes (even that is a bit more than the average player should stay on the ice), you are putting EVERYTHING (and I mean every muscle, sinew, tendon and bone working at maximum effort) you have. It's bloody tough and that's even with tons of padding. I've never been so tired in cricket as I was after two ice hockey minutes and I'm a pace bowler who used to come in off a 20m run.

We're talking two totally different games here, both of which require tons of effort with neither being 'easier' or 'softer' than the other. Try playing one and then the other and you'll see what I mean.

Last edited:

Duncan

U19 Debutant
Cricket's the better sport period. I'm not being bias here, I've played both sports and I like baseball. But it's classless, and doesn't take much intelligence... just throw the ball... with some variation of the hand... or hit the ball hard... slight exaggeration but not by much.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Langeveldt said:
Sure, so this is an example of your average athletic, highly toned bowler?
I take it that's Ian Austin, the difference is he's an exception rather than the norm. Also he could actually break into a jog when he went into bowl, your typical lard-arsed pitcher struggles to pick the ball up off the floor let alone jog.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Duncan said:
Atleast cricketers don't use illegal drugs... well except Warne.
it was a slimming pill, and besides tuffers and botham were both found guilty of doing naughty things with forbidden substances were they not ?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Scaly piscine said:
I take it that's Ian Austin, the difference is he's an exception rather than the norm. Also he could actually break into a jog when he went into bowl, your typical lard-arsed pitcher struggles to pick the ball up off the floor let alone jog.
Damn, I was taking you seriously for a minute there as well

maxpower

U19 Cricketer
when looked at a glance both games only have a bat and ball in common, and even those 2 items are different when examined closely. personally i find baseball to be boring, but than i find most cricket games boring to watch too. both have to be examined closely to understand the greatness of it. before everyone rips on baseball, also understand baseball players play 160+ games a season, travelling almost everyother day, compared that to cricket most players dont even have a carrier of that long.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
sledger said:
it was a slimming pill, and besides tuffers and botham were both found guilty of doing naughty things with forbidden substances were they not ?
Tuffers wasn't.

scritty

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
chekmeout said:
Article taken from http://www.rediff.com/cricket/2001/jul/25jog.htm

Try having a taste of some cricketing shots like the straight drive; the cover drive; the cuts and pulls; the big lofted drive etc. I can assure you that it will take your breath away. These shots are stunning examples of timing and power. They are not mere slogs but require tremendous amount of practice and skill. Also, look out for those toe crushing yorkers; the rib-snorting bouncers; the big leg breaks and off-breaks; the out-swingers; the leg-cutter; the flipper and many more. All these alien terms are various kinds of deliveries that a cricket bowler has in his armory. You can realize for yourself as to the skill and the technique that a batsman must possess to face such an onslaught. Can baseball pitchers even think of such variety? You know the answer. Don’t you?
Yup. much as I love cricket..It's my number one sport and always will be. Baseball has most of these.

Chageup, Slider, Screwball, Drop ball, Knuckle pitch, 4 seam swing ball, 2 seam swing ball (both to left and right), deliberate "Hospital" pitch, dust ball , low arm pitch, high arm pitch (under arm still allowed - and these guys get 80+mph UNDERARM)

It's in the batting and fielding that baseball lets itself down. Other than a late swing for a right field hit, or an early swing for a left field hit and a deliberate bunt - theres not much else. No "working it back of square" or cover drive or sweep (heaven forbid reverse sweep)

And fielding is SOOO formulated, in or out, shift left shift right and in practice that's it. The guy will practice fielding in the out betwen 1st and 2nd base, and then act like a total fish out of water if he's asked to field somewhere else. It's like "cannot compute - I am a 2nd baseman I have NOOO idea how to field anywhere else" Eh ????? Get a grip man !!

So i quite like baseball. It isn't cricket.

The other thing is cricket is played by rich nations like America and Canada.

The main population for cricket is India / Pakistan and Sri Lanka.

Might have a combined population 5x that of the US, but (and I'm generalising) they don't have the money to spend on supporting the sport as much as they could.

Clarker

andyc said:
Completely agree, Checkmeout, I saw a game of baseball at school and just thought ‘what the f***.’ I watched for about half an hour and I didn’t see the ball get hit once. The skill level involved in playing cricket is much much higher—take pitching in baseball, which is mainly just about how fast you can throw it. As for the fielding, I hate how they rely on their gloves to catch the ball. I always get a kick when my friends are throwing around a baseball and (from a distance away) I ask them to throw it to me. Same response, every time: “But you haven’t got a glove!” (a baseball is softer a cricket ball, too)
Moron.

You clearly know nothing about pitching. Try throwing a breaking ball, curveball, changeup, slider and knuckleball and getting it in the strikezone from 50 feet.

Did you happen to see the skillfull bowling on show at that recent 20-20 bowl out or whatever it was called? 4 times out of 20 attempts at hitting the unguarded stumps or something wasn't it?

If you dont at least know the basics of each sport then you really shouldn't comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.