• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket v/s Baseball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh

International Regular
I like both sports. I can't say I find either of them boring. I can probably sit through a whole game of baseball, but I must admit I sometimes do struggle watching even an ODI in it's entirity. Depends who's playing I guess.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Monty said:
did you know they allow players to take steriods and it is stupid that one of their proud statitics is how many times they have hit the ball
Errm, that's not what a "hit" in baseball is. A hit is when you hit the ball successfully away from the fielders and get to first base (at least)... it is equivalent to a run in cricket, although of course much less common. If you hit the ball and it is caught or you are out at first then you've failed to get a hit.

Monty

U19 Cricketer
i know mate but they are proud of how many times they did this it is stupid and their seasons are way to long

chekmeout

U19 Debutant
Swervy said:
it has a huge following in Japan,Cuba, Mexico etc
Define etc. I don't know about Cuba but in Japan and Mexico soccer is 100 times more popular...
And so what baseball is popular in 4 countries so it becomes an Olympic sport??

Cricket is played in far more countries and got millions of more fans than baseball...and yet baseball is in the Olympics...

Swervy

International Captain
chekmeout said:
Define etc. I don't know about Cuba but in Japan and Mexico soccer is 100 times more popular...
And so what baseball is popular in 4 countries so it becomes an Olympic sport??

Cricket is played in far more countries and got millions of more fans than baseball...and yet baseball is in the Olympics...

whether something is in the Olympics isnt just based on popularity...archery???? Syncronised Swimming?????

I think baseball is a popular sport in more than just 4 countries. There used to be (I dont know if there is now) a large playing population in Australia for instance (obviously not as big as cricket, rugby etc, but still substantial)

Langeveldt

Soutie
Monty said:
i know mate but they are proud of how many times they did this it is stupid and their seasons are way to long
1) Uhh, probably because it is really hard to get a hit? Its not like they are using cricket bats here..

2) Yeah, and look at the consistantly high crowds baseball draws right throughout the season.. While cricket may as well forget high attendances for pretty much all domestic games, and all but the best test matches..

Swervy

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
1) Uhh, probably because it is really hard to get a hit? Its not like they are using cricket bats here..

2) Yeah, and look at the consistantly high crowds baseball draws right throughout the season.. While cricket may as well forget high attendances for pretty much all domestic games, and all but the best test matches..
erm....baseball doesnt get high crowds throughout a season...too many games for that to happen, I beleive quite often for some games you are talking a 4 figured amount as an attendance figure...still ok compared to domestic cricket but not when compared to american football..in fact even college football (which attract incredible crowds..100,000 for a college game)

Infact some of the lesser teams in the MLB struggle to average half full stadia

chekmeout

U19 Debutant
Langeveldt said:

cricket is the second most followed sport in the world after soccer...

http://cricketinf.hollosite.com/eng/trivia13.html

nearly a billion people worldwide follow cricket.. as compared to the total population of the united states which is 293,027,571 (July 2004 estimate)

Josh

International Regular
Thanks to India's large population where cricket is basically the only major sport played internationally.

Australia recently won an Olympic medal for baseball (believe it or not). Baseball is also reasonably popular in South Africa and Holland. Small followings but still enough to get an olympic team up there.

And as for baseball, I'm pretty sure it was introduced in one of the past US Olympics, because if I understand correctly from what I've been told, each host nation gets to pitch their own sport to the IOC to have competition in their Olympics, and possibly beyond.

Last edited:

chekmeout

U19 Debutant
Josh said:
Thanks to India's large population where cricket is basically the only major sport played internationally.

Australia recently won an Olympic medal for baseball (believe it or not). Baseball is also reasonably popular in South Africa and Holland. Small followings but still enough to get an olympic team up there.

And as for baseball, I'm pretty sure it was introduced in one of the past US Olympics, because if I understand correctly from what I've been told, each host nation gets to pitch their own sport to the IOC to have competition in their Olympics, and possibly beyond.
hollands cricket team would be stronger than their baseball team

and when it comes to getting up a team, just for the sake of having a team cricket could easily manage 32 teams...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Swervy said:
erm....baseball doesnt get high crowds throughout a season...too many games for that to happen, I beleive quite often for some games you are talking a 4 figured amount as an attendance figure...still ok compared to domestic cricket but not when compared to american football..in fact even college football (which attract incredible crowds..100,000 for a college game)

Infact some of the lesser teams in the MLB struggle to average half full stadia
The lesser teams struggle to average a half-full stadiun because:

1. They suck. The West Indies doesn't get a lot of home support these days either.
2. The stadiums aren't tiny.
3. There are games daily.

The teams such as the Yankees, Red Sox, Braves etc. make huge money from attendance. Don't be fooled. Baseball is a very popular sport.

It's just as ignorant to call baseball worthless as it is for Americans to call cricket boring.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
the one rule i would change about baseball is the pitcher shall be alloted a number of pitches and then must be replaced by another pitcher. say like 9 pitches for each pitcher, then replaced. furthermore all 9 players that are fielding must play all roles pitching, fielding etc. no one should came on from the bench. i laugh when i see how many players are in the dug out these like 20 who can all be utilised at anytime. there should only be 9 players listed for that game.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
but thats america for ya . a rugby team has 15 players with 4 on the bench for interchange and stuff like that. gridiron has a team of 20 players for offense and another 20 for defense, do these guys no anything about team :)

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
slugger said:
but thats america for ya . a rugby team has 15 players with 4 on the bench for interchange and stuff like that. gridiron has a team of 20 players for offense and another 20 for defense, do these guys no anything about team :)
A rugby team has 7 on the bench...

quytst0rm

School Boy/Girl Captain
Baseball is not just about hitting hard or pitching as fast as possible. The batsmen doesnt always hit the ball as hard as possible he has to be smart to get a hit other wise he would be out 9 out of 10 times. A pitcher pitches not just fastball but curveball, knuckleball, slow ball, slider, split-fingered fastball, changeup, forkball etc. There are strategies like where to put the fielders, when to steal the bases etc. Also even the lesser known teams average atleast 10-15,000 fans and the stadium capacity in the MLB is about 40,000 and there are 160 games not counting playoffs with half of them home so they do make lot of money.

chekmeout

U19 Debutant
But still in terms of popularity cricket is more popular.

P.S. The intention of this thread is not to say baseball sucks or anything ... Its just to compare the two sports...

Isolator

State 12th Man
chekmeout said:
But still in terms of popularity cricket is more popular.
P.S. The intention of this thread is not to say baseball sucks or anything ... Its just to compare the two sports...
Should we start a poll about whether baseball is a sport worth watching?

Sorry, but I get the feeling that this thread is a piece of crap. You seem pretty keen on deciding that a) cricket is more popular and b) cricket is better, and then patting yourself on the back for liking cricket.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
And then quickly stamping on them.

Btw, there is no set number of pitches for a pitcher. It's just that you have to save players for other games in the season. you know they do get tired and if they play too long they can get injured.Makes sense doesn't it? And do all 11 players bowl in a cricket match?NO.Only when the result isn't that important. Don't cricket teams have subs too. Sometimes the games go extra long and players might get injured or be having a really horrible game. Makes no sense leaving them out there to suffer. And all the guys in the dugout aren't players. You have coaches and trainers and the like in there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.