• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

Midwinter

State Captain
On this day in 1877 the first ever test match commenced, with Bannerman going to stumps on 120 odd before retiring hurt the next day for 169.
Did you hear any people complaining about the slow over rate that day ?

:)

The photos in the MCC museum that were taken at the ground at the time are fascinating.It looked like only 3/4 of the ground had grass on it and they used a light roller.

I wonder if there are any other photos of the game.

Last edited:

Victor Ian

International Coach
I have seen batsmen before scratch their mark in two places - maybe middle and off stump. In order to help Lyon with foot marks, why can't the batsmen go out and gouge out their mark there. Seriously? Where is a batsman allowed to scratch out chunks of earth on the pitch? Is it defined?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I have seen batsmen before scratch their mark in two places - maybe middle and off stump. In order to help Lyon with foot marks, why can't the batsmen go out and gouge out their mark there. Seriously? Where is a batsman allowed to scratch out chunks of earth on the pitch? Is it defined?
I've always felt that wherever possible, the role of #10-11 in the third innings should be to step out to the danger area every ball and drag their spikes along the wicket. Maybe even play a couple of sweep shots and hammer the wicket 'accidentally'.

cnerd123

likes this
The batsman isn't.

The umpires just turn a blind eye to it for marking the guard usually. In HK we use chalk and encourage the batsmen to mark their guard with that in order to protect our turf wickets because they are so high in demand and few in number.

Victor Ian

International Coach
I don't get why that don't just paint a middle stump line and then "oi" regarding scarring the pitch. Perhaps tradition matters and it helps the psych of the batsman to mark out his ground with a hoof, like a bull.

cnerd123

likes this
I never mark my guard. What's the point. You got the three stumps at the other end that line up exactly with yours, that's enough information on where you are respective to your stumps. On top of that, you're meant to be watching the ball and moving to play it anyways. You're not looking at your feet. I've never marked a guard and I have yet to be dismissed this season.

But then again, I bat at 11 and have a career highest score in hardball cricket of 35. So what do I know.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Trying to look up some scorecards on cricinfo and getting an error '503 backend fetch failed'

I guess that proves that they really do pull stuff out of their behinds.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Here's an interesting statistic:

Hayden opened in every test he played. He opened 40 times facing the first delivery and averaged 34.43 doing so. In the other 144 innings he started at the non-strikers end. In those innings he averaged 55.27.

Shady Slim

International Coach
i mark my guard between middle and off

i stand in the crease to swing bowlers too, fastest hands in the west right here!

OverratedSanity

IPL 2017: From Supergiants to Supergiant, Pune?s new good luck charm | cricket | Hindustan Times

“There is no superstition behind calling ourselves Supergiant now,” the team’s spokesperson told HT.

“Last year when he called ourselves Supergiants, we were looking at four to five players in the squad who had supergiant abilities. While we were preparing for this IPL, we thought why just a few players, the entire team is supergiant. So, that is why we decided to go with Supergiant this time,” the spokesperson added.

Burgey

Big day for Burgeinho today. Got his junior GF on (remarkably they're playing after all the rain) then our senior GF this arvo. He'll be a tired boy come tomorrow night.

Daemon

Big day for Burgeinho today. Got his junior GF on (remarkably they're playing after all the rain) then our senior GF this arvo. He'll be a tired boy come tomorrow night.
Great stuff. Amazing that he's managed to nab both a junior and senior girlfriend. Will be a tired boy indeed.