• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Only people being penalised in that case are Australian cricketers as game will be ruled a forfeit
Some would view incurring a real cost by sticking to a principle in the Word Cup as being much braver and more powerful than cancelling a T20 series that won't be remembered in six months' time. Not surprised some people have an issue when all the cancellations so far save CA money (though whether those people are objecting in good faith is a different question).

Last edited:

social

Some would view incurring a real cost by sticking to a principle in the Word Cup as being much braver and more powerful than cancelling a T20 series that won't be remembered in six months' time. That's why some people have an issue with way this has been done (though whether that's actually in good faith is a different question).
I seriously doubt that it’s been done in good faith

Having said that, I thought Afghanistan was supposed to be banned unless/until they met ICC criteria wrt women’s cricket?

Was that a figment of my imagination or did they simply release a feel good ruling without having any intention of following through?

Neither would surprise

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hypocrisy of the highest order. Had no moral issue to play Afghanistan when they needed a win to stay in the WC a few months ago. But morals magically click into place when it comes to bilateral series...

Hit me up when India plays a bilateral against Pakistan. Or refuses to play them in an ICC event.

Starfighter

Having said that, I thought Afghanistan was supposed to be banned unless/until they met ICC criteria wrt women’s cricket?

Was that a figment of my imagination or did they simply release a feel good ruling without having any intention of following through?

Neither would surprise
I believe they are, but the ICC's rules are about as solid as icecream under a hot sun. Of course CA could try prove they're more principled than the ICC, but that'd almost certainly be pointless.

Spark

Global Moderator
Once again the brilliant logic of hypocrisy uber alles rears its head: it's better to have no standards than a partial standard poorly enforced.

Stefan9

International Debutant
I seriously doubt that it’s been done in good faith

Neither would surprise
They were but ICC decided it would be unfair on the players so have allowed them to continue. Lack of governance from the ICC shocking as usual.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Once again the brilliant logic of hypocrisy uber alles rears its head: it's better to have no standards than a partial standard poorly enforced.
I genuinly think WA would start a civil war if we missed a WC semi because we refused to play Afghanistan.

Burgey

So whats the excuse for not doing it in 2023? If they believe their moral stand against Afghanistan is as important as they claim.
They didn’t go to SL in 1996 because of advice regarding risks of terror attacks iirc. Here they aren’t playing Afghanistan because of its treatment of 50% of its population.

Fmd if you’re siding with the taliban you’re probably beyond any reasonable help tbh

Burgey

I think the point is this is not a standard but a convenience.
There’s no inconvenience to beat up on Afghanistan in a T20 series in the lead up to Wc ffs. A 3-0 win while playing fringe players against barely FC standard opposition is the sort of tune up and confidence boost that’s perfect ahead of a tourney.

CA is massive on the women’s game here. It was probably the first widely popular mainstream sport in Aus to properly promote and put women front and centre. It’s not surprising they’d bin a series in these circs at all, and good on them tbh. Afghanistan shoukd be banned from international cricket rn anyway tbh

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Has anyone actually addressed Stefan's point which seems to be well made, that what is the difference between playing Afghanistan in a World Cup and playing a series against them which isn't in that country?

Because if money and prestige of a World Cup is the answer, it's a feeble one

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
There’s no inconvenience to beat up on Afghanistan in a T20 series in the lead up to Wc ffs. A 3-0 win while playing fringe players against barely FC standard opposition is the sort of tune up and confidence boost that’s perfect ahead of a tourney.

CA is massive on the women’s game here. It was probably the first widely popular mainstream sport in Aus to properly promote and put women front and centre. It’s not surprising they’d bin a series in these circs at all, and good on them tbh. Afghanistan shoukd be banned from international cricket rn anyway tbh
Yeah but you incur cost hosting those games and the viewership and gate figures and even sponsorship wont tally. That is why its a convenience. And CA cares about the women's game because they know there is a market for it. Not out of the goodness of their hearts, come on, FFS.