• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It was nominally an Afghanistan home series to be played in the UAE thought wasn't it? The only inconvenience and cost to CA is flying the players over

Last edited:

Yeoman

U19 Cricketer
Didn’t England once refuse to play Zimbabwe in a World Cup that cost them? The one where Kenya got to the Semis - or have I misremembered that?
That is correct. It was 2003. As I recall, they would have made it to the super 6s has they played Zimbabwe and won.
It was a ridiculously half-hearted thing to do. Either take part in the competition fully or don’t take part at all. Even worse, the ECB left the decision at the last minute and to the players, who were deterred by (probably spurious-though it’s easy for me to say that) threats to their security.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
That is correct. It was 2003. As I recall, they would have made it to the super 6s has they played Zimbabwe and won.
It was a ridiculously half-hearted thing to do. Either take part in the competition fully or don’t take part at all.
Australia, West Indies and New Zealand have all done the same thing (in 1996 or 2003); I don't remember anyone suggesting any of the 4 should pull out completely.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It was a ridiculously half-hearted thing to do. Either take part in the competition fully or don’t take part at all.
No, this comment is ridiculous. You think they should have pulled out of the whole World Cup because one country they were going to play one game in was dangerous to travel to? Lol

Yeoman

U19 Cricketer
By not going they put themselves at a handicap and were knocked out because of it. They might as well as stayed at home and made more of a point of it.

FWIW I think that they should have gone and made a protest when there, as Flower and Olonga did in the same competition. The security threats were received late in the day and were likely spurious as several other teams played in Zimbabwe in the competitive without a problem.
The worst thing about the whole situation was that the government and the ECB abdicated responsibility and left the decision to the players which placed too much of a burden on them and doubtless affected their mindset.

josephina

Cricket Spectator
I should have put my LBW rule thread here.

Other things I would change. In a drawn series, the away team gets the trophy. It is harder and rarer to win away so actually drawing away is a greater achievement than drawing at home.

Umpire's call is such BS. It leaves it open to a corrupt umpire to favour a team.

WICFan

U19 Captain
After budgetary constraints forced them to postpone a home series vs Australia, it's looking like Cricket Ireland will either have to cancel the home test against Zimbabwe or the white-ball series vs South Africa.

Decision likely to be made this week.

Yeoman

U19 Cricketer
This strikes me as odd. Are the set up costs for their ground that much greater than a county outground festival such as Cheltenham? I would have thought that the revenue that would
come In from international fixtures, especially v SA, would be much greater.

Last edited:

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
After budgetary constraints forced them to postpone a home series vs Australia, it's looking like Cricket Ireland will either have to cancel the home test against Zimbabwe or the white-ball series vs South Africa.

Decision likely to be made this week.
When are these currently scheduled? I don't see both series in the cricket calendar.