• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fella batting five in one of the Sydney Shires qualifying finals today is A ****ole. For real.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Copy and pasting this because this was one of the best innings I remembered growing up...it triumphs so many others of the day,

On This Day:
22 Years ago; The Cleanest hitting of the Red Cherry happened at Christchurch

Nathan Astle; came to bat at 119/3 & in next 4 hours he smashed 222 runs in just 168 balls with 28 Fours & 11 Sixes in 4th inning while chasing the Target of 550

Now allow me to give some insights about this already celebrated inning:

After 81 overs,Score was 315/8 & Nasser Hussain took the new ball & 89 runs were smashed in next 6 overs, in which one over was wicket maiden!
Astle scored 70 runs in 20 balls after new ball taken & went from 100 to 200 in just 39 balls...

Chris Cairns was not supposed to bat as he was injured but as per Stephen Fleming; Astle was in such a mood that they just wanted to see what else he can do & Cairns came to bat at the score of 333/9

118 runs were added for the last wicket in...10.5 Overs!

Hoggard who picked up 7 wickets in 1st inning got smashed for 41 runs in his 2 overs...

Caddick who picked up 6 wickets in 2nd inning got even worse hammering as his 7 consecutive balls went for 38 runs(4 6 6 4 6 6 6)

Third man, Extra Cover,Midwicket & Down the ground straight, every corner of the ground Astle just smashed it...

England tried even negative tactics to stop Astle as out of 168 balls he faced, 38 were pitched outside leg;But he was unstoppable...

During this onslaught;Astle hit the new ball onto the roof of the Stand No. 2 stand where it was lost... The ball that was taken in his place was again hit by him onto the roof of the Stand No. 1 & again got lost.

As Nasser Hussain himself said: "When every ball was disappearing out of the ground & I'm at mid-off, they are looking at me as if to say, "Skip, what do we do here, this doesn't usually happen."

Anyone who watched that innings will always remember the horror looks on the faces of Nasser Hussain & English players...

New Zealand lost this game by 98 runs when Astle finally dismissed but the way Astle was batting that day; it was matter of just extra half an hour ...

Chubb

International Regular
Don’t know if we have a general obituary thread but Essex and England legspinner Robin Hobbs passed away today. He had been ill for a long time.

He was the last legspinner to play for England until Ian Salisbury and famously slogged one of the fastest hundreds ever in a tour match against Australia.

I met him a few times as he played at my family’s club in Essex and he was friends with my grandparents. My mum was au pair for his son. Everyone seemed to like him. He had a real old fashioned professional vibe. Grandad said he was one of the best bowlers he ever played with or against.

Last edited:

Stefan9

International Debutant
Hypocrisy of the highest order. Had no moral issue to play Afghanistan when they needed a win to stay in the WC a few months ago. But morals magically click into place when it comes to bilateral series...

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend