• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Today for reasons best left unknown I found myself staring at a scorecard of Minor Counties vs South Africa in 1960 and it came to notice that Jack Ikin (who made his first class debut in 1934) and Bob Taylor (who played his last first class match in 1988) had overlapping careers.

ataraxia

International Coach
Today for reasons best left unknown I found myself staring at a scorecard of Minor Counties vs South Africa in 1960 and it came to notice that Jack Ikin (who made his first class debut in 1934) and Bob Taylor (who played his last first class match in 1988) had overlapping careers.
looks like Ikin only debuted in 1938 in FC; minor counties in '34. But still, cool stat. The equivalent of a player still playing today having played with someone who debuted in 1973.

thierry henry

International Coach
looks like Ikin only debuted in 1938 in FC; minor counties in '34. But still, cool stat. The equivalent of a player still playing today having played with someone who debuted in 1973.
Graham Gooch debuted in 1973 and had an overlapping FC career with Darren Stevens in 1997, but unfortunately Stevens retired last year (?) + I don’t think they ever played each other

Last edited:

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
IIRC Jack Ikin played some of his earliest matches for Staffordshire alongside Sydney Barnes, whose FC debut was in 1894.

AndrewB

Graham Gooch debuted in 1973 and had an overlapping FC career with Darren Stevens in 1997, but unfortunately Stevens retired last year (?) + I don’t think they ever played each other
Stevens's only games in 1997 seem to have been against Sussex and Cambridge U.
If he'd played against Sussex a couple of years earlier he might have met Eddie Hemmings, who began with Warwickshire in 1966 - last player I'm aware of whose FC county career spanned 30 seasons.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Stevens's only games in 1997 seem to have been against Sussex and Cambridge U.
If he'd played against Sussex a couple of years earlier he might have met Eddie Hemmings, who began with Warwickshire in 1966 - last player I'm aware of whose FC county career spanned 30 seasons.
Hemmings played against Trescothick (and got him out for a duck with the new ball) so we get 1966 to 2019

AndrewB

Curious that he was the fourth bowler used but still managed to get Tresco, who had opened, out for a globe. It looks like the score was 1/1 too. Tight opening spells...
Looks like there's a mistake there somewhere, as the figures suggest that Hemmings bowled unchanged throughout the innings.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
lol that's ****ing astonishing. Great find

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Former international cricketer, Murray Goodwin, is facing an extensive ban after apparently striking the opposition wicket keeper with his bat after being dismissed in a country league game. He was reported and became ineligible to play for the remainder of the game.
At 50 years he should know better. Interestingly he his claiming religious abuse led to his reaction. His son is currently in the WA state squad.

WA cricket stalwart Murray Goodwin will find out his punishment for making contact with the opposition wicketkeeper with his bat during a country grand final at the weekend when he fronts a tribunal on Thursday.

It’s understood Goodwin had been subject to religious slurs before wafting his bat and making contact with Marist keeper Cam Marra after being was dismissed on day one of the Bunbury and Districts Cricket Association grand final on Saturday.