• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pietersen said yesterday on a talk show with Naseer and Key on Sky sports that series against NZ doesn't matter and we should keep our players fit for India series, WT20 and Ashes.
Also he can't remember any runs he scored against NZ.?
Lovely.

Burgey

FB memories do my head in sometimes. Can't believe the below was six years ago already and these kids are now into their uni degrees/ careers. Coincided with the WC final as well. Under 15s premiership team I had the pleasure of coaching. Just a great group of kids.

1616969070242.png

sunilz

International Regular
Another excellent post on Charles Davis' Blog.

I was inspired to do this by a comment from Benedict that Ishant Sharma seems to take an inordinate time to get through his overs. And sure enough, guess who tops the list of 67 'slowest' bowlers, and by a significant margin.

These are only for recent matches in England.

Bowler minutes per over

Slowest
I Sharma 5.56
ST Gabriel 5.07
MA Starc 5.03
JL Pattinson 4.98
JJ Bumrah 4.90
AA Nortje 4.85
MA Wood 4.83
PJ Cummins 4.80
JR Hazlewood 4.69
Shaheen Shah Afridi 4.65

Quickest
NM Lyon 3.50
S Nadeem 3.45
RL Chase 3.41
Yasir Shah 3.39
RRS Cornwall 3.34
JE Root 3.34
KA Maharaj 3.31
R Ashwin 3.23
JL Denly 3.21
AR Patel 3.17

All overs
4.43​
Standard uninterrupted overs
4.16​
Standard uninterrupted maidens
3.53​
Overs with 10 or more runs
4.75​
Over + Drinks
7.52​
Overs with Review(s)
5.92​
Injury
8.13​
1 wicket falling
5.83​
2 wickets falling
8.10​
Standard pace
4.53​
Standard spin
3.53​

(It inserted as a table and I'm not bothered to fix it)

One thing I'd note is how slow spinners are - previously they would have been expected to get though an over in more like 2.6-8 minutes on average and a maiden in as little as 1.5 or so.

Surprised at Bumrah's presence as he runs significantly less far than the others.
Jadeja not present here ?

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Another excellent post on Charles Davis' Blog.

I was inspired to do this by a comment from Benedict that Ishant Sharma seems to take an inordinate time to get through his overs. And sure enough, guess who tops the list of 67 'slowest' bowlers, and by a significant margin.

These are only for recent matches in England.

Bowler minutes per over

Slowest
I Sharma 5.56
ST Gabriel 5.07
MA Starc 5.03
JL Pattinson 4.98
JJ Bumrah 4.90
AA Nortje 4.85
MA Wood 4.83
PJ Cummins 4.80
JR Hazlewood 4.69
Shaheen Shah Afridi 4.65

Quickest
NM Lyon 3.50
S Nadeem 3.45
RL Chase 3.41
Yasir Shah 3.39
RRS Cornwall 3.34
JE Root 3.34
KA Maharaj 3.31
R Ashwin 3.23
JL Denly 3.21
AR Patel 3.17

All overs
4.43​
Standard uninterrupted overs
4.16​
Standard uninterrupted maidens
3.53​
Overs with 10 or more runs
4.75​
Over + Drinks
7.52​
Overs with Review(s)
5.92​
Injury
8.13​
1 wicket falling
5.83​
2 wickets falling
8.10​
Standard pace
4.53​
Standard spin
3.53​

(It inserted as a table and I'm not bothered to fix it)

One thing I'd note is how slow spinners are - previously they would have been expected to get though an over in more like 2.6-8 minutes on average and a maiden in as little as 1.5 or so.

Surprised at Bumrah's presence as he runs significantly less far than the others.
Liked for somebody actually getting Nortje's initials right for once

Kirkut

International Regular
I've always thought that Shoaib Akhtar got late inswing at pace. Actually Shoaib never swung the ball, his hyperextended arm imparted vertical drift on the ball which made it look like an inswing while watching him bowl on television.

TheJediBrah

I've always thought that Shoaib Akhtar got late inswing at pace. Actually Shoaib never swung the ball, his hyperextended arm imparted vertical drift on the ball which made it look like an inswing while watching him bowl on television.
Yeah, I don't think that's right

TheJediBrah

He always had a wobbly seam position, you do need a steady seam position for proper swing. He bowled with a Graeme Swann like drift in the air at 95 mph when pitching it up.
If that were the case it would be swinging away. Anyway he definitely bowled with reverse swing a lot of the time.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
Every time I see Tino Best bowl I wonder what could have happened if he got the right coaching and environment to lift this game. He could bowl fast, was too fit and agile for a pace bowler and aggressive AF.

Kirkut

International Regular
If that were the case it would be swinging away. Anyway he definitely bowled with reverse swing a lot of the time.
I guess the best analogy I can come up with is Bumrah's slower ball yorker to Shaun Marsh, the ball did not swing but dipped in the last moment, on television that looked like inswing but it was not. You're correct though about reverse swing.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A solution to a problem that should never have existed.

Though it looks like they've also added a bit of empty air at each corner of the wicket due to the shape of the bails. I can't wait for the first player to be given out for an umpire's call where the ball isn't hitting the wicket at all.

Surely it isn't that hard to make the shape more realistic?

Last edited:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Technically they should run a full collision simulation because if you skim the top of the bails there's a possibility that they stay on.
The heavier zing bails modelled for extra realism

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
He was too busy being a stud on tours.

Mind the windows, Tino
You never know, folks showing up on time and being thorough professionals with their game might also be the same outside the stadium.

Best was fit, and would always give his 100% on the field. Temperament was clearly an issue, but he could have achieved so much more with what he had with the right mentoring I guess.