• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket on YouTube

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Lack of MacGill batting, MacGill bowling, Cheeqs and Blewett bowling is itstl.
Im swapping between watching WA vs QLD and India v WI. In HD. On my tv, sitting on my beanbag eating chocolate peanuts. I'd ask you round but you can't even take a dump without getting written permission from your misses (i.e. your girlfriend for this week).

:happy:

Last edited:

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Im swapping between watching WA vs QLD and India v WI. In HD. On my tv, sitting on my beanbag eating chocolate peanuts. I'd ask you round but you can't even take a dump without getting written permission from your misses (i.e. your girlfriend for this week).

:happy:

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
only half way done. too many catches to realistically put in. even at half way its almost 2 hours long.

Flem274*

123/5
I don't doubt that Ganguly had a moan but I'm not aware of BCCI ever complaining about pitches in other countries since they often prepare tracks themselves that help the home team (and I find nothing wrong with that). Happy to be proven wrong here though.
Actually you are right, and you've caught me in rant mode.

I do think though that NZC was, for lack of a better phrase, sucking up in that series. There was a lot of talk in the media before the series about the 2002 pitches, and from the Indian side I remember a few opinion quotes effectively saying New Zealand should get in big trouble if they dare wheel out the green tops again.

In the wake of Sydneygate and Bondgate, there was a lot of talk in New Zealand about what the BCCI might do if we were cheeky and presented them with green pitches again, and there was also a lot of anger about Bondgate directed at NZC. Tactically, green pitches were the best move available since we only had three test standard batsmen at the time and New Zealand collapses happen on any pitch. We needed to even the batting up somehow, and that was our best option.

If we had wheeled out the green pitches and India lost, it would have been very interesting to see whether India flounced. They lacked Ganguly, which was a good start. NZC obviously didn't want to take the risk and wheeled out the three flattest pitches I have seen prepared in this country. Napier is always flat, but Hamilton was ridiculous and I can't remember the last time I saw such a batsman friendly pitch at the Basin Reserve.

I think NZC were scared of the possibility of the BCCI flouncing. We don't have the muscle of a larger cricket board and series with New Zealand aren't attractive options.

I can't prove NZC are wusses of course, but any logical cricket board would have sent orders to groundsmen to prepare more green tops after what happened in 2002. NZC were either scared or stupid.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Actually you are right, and you've caught me in rant mode.

I do think though that NZC was, for lack of a better phrase, sucking up in that series. There was a lot of talk in the media before the series about the 2002 pitches, and from the Indian side I remember a few opinion quotes effectively saying New Zealand should get in big trouble if they dare wheel out the green tops again.

In the wake of Sydneygate and Bondgate, there was a lot of talk in New Zealand about what the BCCI might do if we were cheeky and presented them with green pitches again, and there was also a lot of anger about Bondgate directed at NZC. Tactically, green pitches were the best move available since we only had three test standard batsmen at the time and New Zealand collapses happen on any pitch. We needed to even the batting up somehow, and that was our best option.

If we had wheeled out the green pitches and India lost, it would have been very interesting to see whether India flounced. They lacked Ganguly, which was a good start. NZC obviously didn't want to take the risk and wheeled out the three flattest pitches I have seen prepared in this country. Napier is always flat, but Hamilton was ridiculous and I can't remember the last time I saw such a batsman friendly pitch at the Basin Reserve.

I think NZC were scared of the possibility of the BCCI flouncing. We don't have the muscle of a larger cricket board and series with New Zealand aren't attractive options.

I can't prove NZC are wusses of course, but any logical cricket board would have sent orders to groundsmen to prepare more green tops after what happened in 2002. NZC were either scared or stupid.
The flaw in that logic is the assumption that BCCI would be motivated (or demotivated) to play against someone based on a cricketing reason. At higher level, BCCI is full of career politicians. Their decision to tour or not to tour would be based solely on money. They can go and lose to England 0-5 and they'd keep going every year and they'd be happy to do so because its a higher $$ for them.

If NZC in fact did it because they thought BCCI might make a decision based solely on a cricketing reason, they need to re-evaluate their whole psychological profile of the BCCI.

Satguru

Banned
Those two videos are amazing!!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Amazing bowling, and some absolutely stunning catching from the slip cordon, and the keeper especially. Dujon WAG :notworthy:

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Hey Rob, i cant find any Vintcent Van Der Bijl videos. He played during the sporting isolation of SA.
Do you have anything of him??

He took 767 FC wickets from 156 matches at 16.55.
Shared the new ball with Wayne Daniel in 1980 for Middlesex

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Love how you get to see lots of players who played alongside X in these vids. First time I've ever seen Shane Thomson bat. Looks great on the front foot attack, but his defence leaves something to be desired.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is there footage of Brett Schultz out there?

Nevermind, just found it on Rob's channel.

Last edited: