• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Magazines

Rickripper

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I was just wondering, what's the best cricket magazine I can buy in the UK? I bought an issue of All Out Cricket recently, and it was a fairly good read, but seemed a little too England focussed. Little mention of the series in Australia and Sri Lanka. Although features on Joe Denly and Will Smith were pretty interesting.

stumpski

International Captain
I have a subscription to TWC (The Wisden Cricketer, an amalgamation of two long-running titles) but also buy AOC and Spin on occasions.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I get TWC which is excellent.
All Out Cricket tries a little bit too hard, and (call me a bitter old pedant) is in dire need of a proof-reader.

stumpski

International Captain
Does anyone else find it impossible to throw them away?

I have copies of the Cricketer going back to the early 70s. :ph34r: I have given a few away over the years, but have always regretted it afterwards. Even though I rarely refer back to them.

Rickripper

I have copies of the Cricketer going back to the early 70s. :ph34r: I have given a few away over the years, but have always regretted it afterwards. Even though I rarely refer back to them.
I'm exactly the same, I have copies of F1 Racing and Empire all over the place, but I know I will never read them again. It's weird, cause I have no problem throwing away newspapers. It must be the glossiness that makes them special.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

I struggle to sell/otherwise dispose of any cricket publication even when I have more than one copy which is strange given that I am not generally given to hoarding items of personal property

Personally I would love to own a complete run of the Cricketer (1921-2003) however Mrs Fertang has made it abundantly clear on more than one occasion that such an acquisition would not be permitted :boxed:

stumpski

International Captain
Don't you prefer those old covers as well? Just a photo and the 'Cricketer' logo, date and price. Not covered in gaudy headlines like they are now. That all started with a change of editor in 1978, Reg Hayter wasn't it?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member

Yeah, mine are stashed away somewhere going back to 1997 when I first subscribed to what was then WCM. I doubt whether I'll get rid of them. I remember chucking my old NME's from the late70's / early 80's and regretting it almost immediately. Mind you, those probably contained more interesting articles that TWC.

All that being said, I recently let my subscription lapse. I wasn't finding much of interest, and the 'big' features weren't as good as they should have been. There's far better and more up-to-date stuff on the web nowadays, imo.

Spinksy

Banned
The Wisden Cricketer is pretty gun, I don't know any other magazines around England though as I'm Australian...

wisden18

I have a full run of the TWC, and have the Cricketer from 1964. So slowly getting there with a full run.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Have a subscription with TWC at the moment. :) New Zealand had this "Offspin" cricket magazine launched a while back but I haven't seen it on any magazine stands for six months or so.

Craig

World Traveller
I struggle to sell/otherwise dispose of any cricket publication even when I have more than one copy which is strange given that I am not generally given to hoarding items of personal property

Personally I would love to own a complete run of the Cricketer (1921-2003) however Mrs Fertang has made it abundantly clear on more than one occasion that such an acquisition would not be permitted :boxed:
:whip:

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Had subscribed to Cricinfo magazine until ESPN bought them and they stopped publishing it. Just checking out TWC as we speak. Looks good, might subscribe.