• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Cheats Caught on Camera

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I think cheating for catches is great. It's such a risky trade off. You either get your man and laugh about it ever after or you get caught and your name is besmirched forever and you officially become a lesser person who probably farts on trains.
How does that make it great?

Victor Ian

International Coach
It's exciting. You can not believe someone is having the audacity to claim it. So the oddity makes it great. It obviously is much harder to pull off nowadays.

Aaron510

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
U want to find some amazing cricket cheating videos? Just type Ricky ponting cheating in YouTube!! lol

u going to have to watch the entire day and u still a bunch of videos to watch lol ?

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
So we've got Australia, India, Pakistan, England, South Africa, West Indies.

Missing: New Zealand, Bangladesh, Zimbabwe. Can we find anything from them?

Various newer countries I'll say are too recent.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
This is less fun when we try and argue about who cheated worse. Can't we just all laugh at idiots like Matt Prior and Justin Langer who blatantly tried to pretend the batsman was bowled/hit wicket despite being surrounded by cameras?
That was precisely my intention when starting this thread. It certainly wasn't a case of wanting to pick on certain players/countries or to come up with arguments about who's the worst cheat.
I started with a couple of "catches" that were claimed and in that sort of situation, why couldn't the fielder simply appeal with an "I'm not sure," instead of throwing the ball up and celebrating?
They know when the ball has bobbled out of their hands but, in fairness, may not be sure it hits the ground, but to blatantly claim a clean catch when they know there is some doubt is wrong.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
taking a catch you know you've dropped and not saying anything when the ump gives it out, that's pretty Dyer
Luckily we Kiwis don't hold a grudge. I definitely don't spit in disgust every time I hear Greg Dyer's name. Definitely not.

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So we've got Australia, India, Pakistan, England, South Africa, West Indies.

Missing: New Zealand, Bangladesh, Zimbabwe. Can we find anything from them?

Various newer countries I'll say are too recent.
There was that Murali run out by McCullum, dunno if you call that cheating though.

vandem

International 12th Man
There was that Murali run out by McCullum, dunno if you call that cheating though.
IIRC the Murali run out was more like poor sportmanship but inside the rules, similar to a run out after the batter was barged down by the bowler or a "mankad" run out no previous warning and an extra stutter by the bowler which is just slight enough to be ignored by the 3rd umpire.

DriveClub

International Regular
IIRC the Murali run out was more like poor sportmanship but inside the rules, similar to a run out after the batter was barged down by the bowler or a "mankad" run out no previous warning and an extra stutter by the bowler which is just slight enough to be ignored by the 3rd umpire.
Tbh the 2nd test felt like revenge of some sort when the kiwis were battered by malinga and murali.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Nothing like a batsman being barged or impeded. More like a mankad.

Cricket is a test of skill, fitness and concentration. To run out of your crease as the ball is only leaving the boundary thrower's arm is a severe case of lack of concentration. Rightly punished, IMO. But, I'm not impartial.

Wicket keeper totally blameless as he is facing third man, not down the wicket, so has no awareness of the context of Murali running.

So, up to the captain to decide whether to recall or not.

If it is the game I'm thinking. Stranding Sangakara on a hundred-odd, best hundred by a visiting team player I've ever seen in NZ. Absolute master class.