• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not a book, but a wonderful piece of cricket writing. It's the opening paragraph of a judgment given by Lord Denning in the case of Miller v Jackson. Some of you (well, fredfertang at least) will be familiar with it. For those that aren't, here it is.

"In summertime village cricket is the delight of everyone. Nearly every village has its own cricket field where the young men play and the old men watch. In the village of Lintz in County Durham they have their own ground, where they have played these last 70 years. They tend it well. The wicket area is well rolled and mown. The outfield is kept short. It has a good club house for the players and seats for the onlookers. The village team play there on Saturdays and Sundays. They belong to a league, competing with the neighbouring villages. On other evenings after work they practise while the light lasts. Yet now after these 70 years a judge of the High Court has ordered that they must not play there any more. He has issued an injunction to stop them. He has done it at the instance of a newcomer who is no lover of cricket. This newcomer has built, or has had built for him, a house on the edge of the cricket ground which four years ago was a field where cattle grazed. The animals did not mind the cricket. But now this adjoining field has been turned into a housing estate. The newcomer bought one of the houses on the edge of the cricket ground. No doubt the open space was a selling point. Now he complains that when a batsman hits a six the ball has been known to land in his garden or on or near his house. His wife has got so upset about it that they always go out at week-ends. They do not go into the garden when cricket is being played. They say that this is intolerable. So they asked the judge to stop the cricket being played. And the judge, much against his will, has felt that he must order the cricket to be stopped: with the consequence, I suppose, that the Lintz Cricket Club will disappear. The cricket ground will be turned to some other use. I expect for more houses or a factory. The young men will turn to other things instead of cricket. The whole village will be much the poorer. And all this because of a newcomer who has just bought a house there next to the cricket ground."

Genius.
Certainly better reading than his "new model constructive trusts" which still on occasions cause me to wake up at night in a cold sweat!

The TCCB underwrote the costs of the appeal and used the same legal team who so failed in the Packer litigation

Apparently one end of the square was only 30 yards or so from the house - it was a new build so it begs the questions as to how they got planning consent and/or why the Millers didn't see it coming - although it was in the North East so that was John Poulson's time wasn't it?

When the Daily Telegraph spoke to Denning's clerk afterwards he was told that his lordship wasn't a sporting man and that his passions extended to "rice pudding and the law"

And the result? - a true example of the law appearing an ass to a layman - but the injunction was discharged

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Fred your depth of knowledge never ceases to amaze. A great selection of Miller v Jackson trivia, none of which I'd heard before.

I remember reading Denning's judgments when I was a law student and being astonished that anyone could use sentences of that sort. They were so short. And terse. And yet descriptive. And seemingly wise. Yet a bit bonkers.

Any idea what's become of the Lintz club?

Tony M

Cricket Spectator
Someone's finally done it!
A Cricket Sledging Almanac- apparently the "most comprehensive ever collated"
Thinking it might be alright.
The art of Sledging
theartofsledging.com

Any one? any good???

archie mac

International Coach
Someone's finally done it!
A Cricket Sledging Almanac- apparently the "most comprehensive ever collated"
Thinking it might be alright.
The art of Sledging
theartofsledging.com

Any one? any good???
I have read it, and we will have a review up on the front page next Monday:)

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Bumpage!

Finished Imran last week, published in 1983. Pretty decent. It was straight forward, much like Imran himself. He didn't come off as arrogant as I had thought, but find it amusing that nothing was ever his fault entirely. He blamed every bad loss in which he bowled on either injuries to himself or failure by batsmen. He was surprisingly humble about his cricketing talents. My favorite part was a little story he tells about hitting Zaheer with a bouncer in a county match. Shall copy that paragraph sometime later.

Would love to read Ivo Tennant's biography of him next, but first I shall go through Wasim's autobiography that just came in the mail today. :D

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Whilst recalling a match against Gloucestershire during his Sussex years where the former team was heading for a certain defeat in their second inning, Imran wrote:

'Zaheer came it to bat and immediately hit me for a four. Despite my inability to develop aggression against friends and my intense dislike to bowling at them, one four puts an end to any friendship and the desire to avenge the insult takes top priority. Unfortunately for Zed he still thought I was a friend running in to bowl, not even taking any hints from my slightly longer and quicker run, and foolishly wasn't ready for the obvious. He just managed to get a slight touch of his glove on the ball as it hit him just above his forehead. There was a loud crack as he slumped to the ground and the ball ballooned up to Cheatle at gully. I was so concerned about Zaheer's skull that I forgot to appeal and instead rushed to inquire about his health. I might as well have not bothered because he just shook his head and got ready to bat again. Either I had overestimated my pace or his skull was harder than I thought it was. He gave me an accusing look through his glasses and apologising profusely I sheepishly told him that I would give him a single and try to bowl the other player out. I was to regret that decision as he plundered 200 runs off our bowling to save the match for Gloucestershire. In subsequent encounters I was more careful in making such pacts.'

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Perhaps not surprisingly that incident isn't mentioned in Zaheer's autobiography

It must have been in 1978 - most self effacing that Imran didn't mention that that was the same game in which he scored his first century for Sussex - 167 out of which over 100 came in boundaries so a memorable contribution

Matt79

Global Moderator
These diaries tend to be what they are - Ponting, or anyone else, is unlikely to be pursuing a course they think is stupid at the time, and they're written too soon and too quickly for any introspection to have occurred. What you get instead is "we won, very pleasing", or "while we lost, I think we did everything right that we could, and while we need to take responsibility, people forget that x, y, and z".

That said, I've put it on the list for Santa - will read it once, chuckle regularly and put it on the shelf.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Perhaps not surprisingly that incident isn't mentioned in Zaheer's autobiography

It must have been in 1978 - most self effacing that Imran didn't mention that that was the same game in which he scored his first century for Sussex - 167 out of which over 100 came in boundaries so a memorable contribution
Aye he did mention it casually, but I skipped that part of the paragraph. :ph34r: