• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Been finished Outside My Comfort Zone by Steve Waugh for about a week now and I found it to be a very good read and understood more how it felt to be struggling at international level when his career took a little while to kick off.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Considered a cricket book classic, I have not read it tbh, but we would love a review :)
Archie, you MUST get this book. Its one of the few cricket books which enhances the stature of a modest international cricketer like Brearley to an absolute champion.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Found a copy of Rhythm and Swing, an autobiography written by Richard Hadlee in my school library. It was published in 1989 so it's a little outdated, but I'm finding it quite good.

archie mac

International Coach
Found a copy of Rhythm and Swing, an autobiography written by Richard Hadlee in my school library. It was published in 1989 so it's a little outdated, but I'm finding it quite good.

Read that one when it first came out, remember enjoying it. I think he kept going on about reaching the 400 wicket mark, which I found a bit annoying because he had just reached the mark, before I started reading the book

archie mac

International Coach
A couple of chapters into Beyond a Boundary. Loving it tbh.
I had built that book up so much in my mind before reading it, that in the end I found it a bit of a let down, still enjoyed it, though I thought it a little long:)

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
Currently reading 'The Art of Captaincy' by Mike Brearly, a bit of a heavy read, bu very interesting.
It's one of my favourites. Well written and thought provoking. I don't always agree with everything in it but at least it is not another one of those carefully worded mid career bios that are going around at the moment.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Read that one when it first came out, remember enjoying it. I think he kept going on about reaching the 400 wicket mark, which I found a bit annoying because he had just reached the mark, before I started reading the book
I liked his ranking system for he and his fellow all-rounders (Botham, Dev, Khan and Rice).

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Archie,

Being the keen collector of old cricket books you probably already know about this site, but just in case:

www.treloars.com.au

Adelaide based cricket memorabilia and book store, fyi.

jamesicus

School Boy/Girl Captain
Of course I had to buy a copy of It Isn't Cricket by Sidney Barnes for he was not only one of my favorite batsmen, but also the most charismatic and colourful cricketer I ever saw play -- at Blackpool with an Australian XI in 1938; as the Burnley professional in the Lancashire League in 1947 and as a member of the invincible Australian touring team in England in 1948. His on and off field behavior and antics were legendary and often outrageous, but his batting was often sublime and magnificent to behold. He frequently stated that any batter should be satisfied with a century and after that his duty was to entertain the crowd even at the expense of his statistics. I know he endeared himself to the hard bitten old sixpenny bench sitters in the Lancashire League with his cavalier approach -- he came to Burnley with the reputation of being a "fancy dandy" and left with his reputation as an outstanding batsman and entertainer intact.

His book is as colourful and outrageous as his cricketing -- replete with numerous anecdotes and stories. Did he really deliberately surrender his wicket at 234 after his record setting 405 test match fifth wicket stand with Don Bradman so that he would go down in the record books as having an identical score to the Don? -- he answers that question personally in this book.

This book is a great read -- they don't seem to make cricketers like Sid Barnes anymore!

James

archie mac

International Coach
Archie,

Being the keen collector of old cricket books you probably already know about this site, but just in case:

www.treloars.com.au

Adelaide based cricket memorabilia and book store, fyi.

Thanks mate, I have heard of them, I will have to travel to Adelaide and have a look. Maybe I could watch the Kangas give the Crows or Port a touch up!:laugh:

archie mac

International Coach
Of course I had to buy a copy of It Isn't Cricket by Sidney Barnes for he was not only one of my favorite batsmen, but also the most charismatic and colourful cricketer I ever saw play -- at Blackpool with an Australian XI in 1938; as the Burnley professional in the Lancashire League in 1947 and as a member of the invincible Australian touring team in England in 1948. His on and off field behavior and antics were legendary and often outrageous, but his batting was often sublime and magnificent to behold. He frequently stated that any batter should be satisfied with a century and after that his duty was to entertain the crowd even at the expense of his statistics. I know he endeared himself to the hard bitten old sixpenny bench sitters in the Lancashire League with his cavalier approach -- he came to Burnley with the reputation of being a "fancy dandy" and left with his reputation as an outstanding batsman and entertainer intact.

His book is as colourful and outrageous as his cricketing -- replete with numerous anecdotes and stories. Did he really deliberately surrender his wicket at 234 after his record setting 405 test match fifth wicket stand with Don Bradman so that he would go down in the record books as having an identical score to the Don? -- he answers that question personally in this book.

This book is a great read -- they don't seem to make cricketers like Sid Barnes anymore!

James
Glad to see you back James, why do you think he gives the wrong age in the book? Vanity or taking the %^$#

jamesicus

School Boy/Girl Captain
Glad to see you back James, why do you think he gives the wrong age in the book? Vanity or taking the %^$#
Thanks, archie mac. Are you referring to his birth certificate story? I think Sid Barnes just loved to spin yarns at every opportunity.

James

andmark

International Captain
I'm reading the Shane Warne autobiography.It's very interesting,I'll make a review thread once,I've finished it.