• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

County Cricket 2022

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Oh she didn't attend. I just happen to get quite a lot more holiday. There was a somewhat unsuccessful family trip to York before Scarborough though, it rained, quite a bit. My Dad was at both though, still absolutely revelling in this retirement business as if it never occurred to him before that he could go to cricket whenever he wanted.
Sounds good on all counts. Babies and cricket matches aren't always the best combination. I remember, many years ago, persuading my wife that we should spend an afternoon at a 50 over game that Surrey were playing at one of the out grounds. Maybe at Whitgift School in Croydon. It was OK until Ally Brown started peppering the boundary nearest us and I realised I actually had to keep an eye on things in case our son was hit. Not much danger of that at Scarborough, I suppose, even if you had taken yours.

Regarding your dad's retirement, one of the reasons why I'm still working is that I don't know what I'd do with my time and I have no desire to take up golf. It did occur to me that I could attend a lot of matches at The Oval, but I like your dad's idea of travelling to different parts of the country.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Two interesting matches in progress at The Oval and at Scarborough, with Warwickshire and Yorkshire both 179 for 4 having established leads of 116 and 120 respectively. The difference being that one of the Warwickshire wickets was their night-watchman Briggs, whereas all four Yorkshire wickets were proper batsmen. The feeling persists that Hampshire's top two bowlers could blow away the rest of the Yorkshire innings in a hurry, especially with the second new ball due very soon. Whereas Surrey's relatively weak attack won't be able to do that to Warwickshire, even when the second new ball is due. If Warwickshire really do stick around, I wonder how brave they will be feeling tomorrow lunchtime. Would they be willing to declare and set Surrey 280 in a couple of sessions to try and secure the win, or would they decide that a draw's a pretty fair return against the league leaders and just keep batting?

Last edited:

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Warwickshire very much in the relegation mix just now. Would probably be happy with a draw but I'll be pleasantly surprised if they find themselves in a position to consider declaring in this game.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Warwickshire very much in the relegation mix just now. Would probably be happy with a draw but I'll be pleasantly surprised if they find themselves in a position to consider declaring in this game.
They've every chance of finding themselves still batting at lunchtime tomorrow. People tend to look at the league table without realising how moderate most of Surrey's bowling attack is. Worrall's been our best bowler by a mile, and he was injured in the pre-match activities. Losing Overton's services at the start of this innings didn't help, but Surrey still had four functioning seamers. Regrettably, they're not really good enough. The difference in class between the guys that Hampshire can call up is massive.

If Yorkshire can somehow stretch their lead to 250, things could still be interesting tomorrow; I don't think the Scarborough wicket is particularly easy for batting. As I type this, they have just lost their 7th wicket so a target of 200 looks more likely. Maybe less actually. Whereas Warwickshire are absolutely coasting at The Oval, and you'd think they'll be at least 300 ahead by lunchtime tomorrow.

Last edited:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They've every chance of finding themselves still batting at lunchtime tomorrow. People tend to look at the league table without realising how moderate most of Surrey's bowling attack is. Worrall's been our best bowler by a mile, and he was injured in the pre-match activities. Losing Overton's services at the start of this innings didn't help, but Surrey still had four functioning seamers. Regrettably, they're not really good enough. The difference in class between the guys that Hampshire can call up is massive.

If Yorkshire can somehow stretch their lead to 250, things could still be interesting tomorrow; I don't think the Scarborough wicket is particularly easy for batting. As I type this, they have just lost their 7th wicket so a target of 200 looks more likely. Maybe less actually. Whereas Warwickshire are absolutely coasting at The Oval, and you'd think they'll be at least 300 ahead by lunchtime tomorrow.
Having Abbott at first change makes such a huge difference, saw it in both innings this match. The flip side of course is that Surrey's batting is miles better.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Having Abbott at first change makes such a huge difference, saw it in both innings this match. The flip side of course is that Surrey's batting is miles better.
Yeah, Abbott's been brilliant for you lately. And yes, our batting is pretty good, but I think you're going to make up some ground tomorrow unless we can somehow take the last six Warwickshire wickets in about an hour.

Blenkinsop

U19 Cricketer
Any news on what's up with JOverton? Be a shame if he's ruled out for a while, he's been impressive this season.

The incident where Lawes was clean bowled by McAndrew and got four byes for it was bizarre.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Any news on what's up with JOverton? Be a shame if he's ruled out for a while, he's been impressive this season.

The incident where Lawes was clean bowled by McAndrew and got four byes for it was bizarre.
Overton originally injured his finger during Warwickshire's first innings, but it didn't stop him bowling, although it is why he didn't bat until number 10 in case it took another hit. Today, he injured his foot five deliveries into his first over and didn't bowl again. But I don't know how serious the injury is.

In case anyone reading this didn't know, the Lawes/McAndrew incident was another case of the zing bails not being shifted despite the off stump being clipped by a FM delivery which then made its way to the boundary.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
@wpdavid neglecting to mention Roach when saying Surrey have no bowlers.
:happy:

Yeah, he's the one class act we have in this fixture. Still one heck of a collapse by Warwickshire. When I said that our one hope was to take the remaining six wickets in the first hour, it wasn't even much of a hope, never mind an expectation. Not complaining though. Now we'll see if our batters live up to the billing that you gave them. Your guys seem to be coasting, last time I checked.

EDIT
Just skimming through the wickets via the live stream, we got lucky with the dismissals of Hain and Burgess, with Roach swinging the ball sharply into the right handers. Hain followed one that swung past his pads for Foakes to dive and catch, and was astonished to be given out caught behind. The view of the Surrey commentator was that he got nowhere near it, and that was the key wicket as Hain looked like he could bat all day. Then Burgess was given out leg before to one that swung in, hit him in front of leg and was probably going on to miss the stumps. Again, the view of Surrey's commentator Mark Church was that the batsman was unlucky. Talking of commentators, if anyone is tempted to watch the live stream, the excellent Jeremy Coney is a guest commentator for Surrey's matches and is always a pleasure to listen to.

Last edited:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Surrey just relentless.

Hampshire have won 8 games already but still find themselves a way behind. Surrey do have a more difficult looking fixture list from here so clinging on to that.