• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Countries and T.V networks with the best cricket coverage...

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Channel 9 is good stuff generally. The camera work is fine, and I don't particularly like over the top use of technology, like 3-D wagon-wheels which give you minimal extra information compared to 2-D wagon-wheels and in fact make it more difficult to see where the ball as actually been hit sometimes, so that's not a major critera for me. However, their dedication to showing cricket is ratings based, and therefore they often cut to the news and do other things which reduce the general enjoyment of watching cricket to one degree or another. I generally like the English coverage on Channel 4, and it's probably my favourite, and Sky isn't too bad either. Sky NZ is decent as well, though some of the commentary bugs me a bit, and their use of technology isn't as good as channel 9 with more pointless things for show and less things which give insight into the game.

As far as commentators go, Richie is the undisputed king, and brightens any commentary team he is on. The Foxtel/Austar coverage for the Australian tours of Sri Lanka and India was pathetic, particularly the former with the likes of Jeff Thompson commentating. Dean Jones in India was painful as well. Channel 4 in England and Channel 9 in Australia are the best for me.

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
India - Our National TV DD airs all the matches in India LIVE and all I can say is Something is better than nothing...cause quite frankly the commentators (except Sanjay Manjrekar) suck...even Ravi Shastri gets on my nerves...either he is too repititive or makes dumb comments here and there...
The hindi commentators are laughable...they constantly change their viewpoints about certain players according to how they are playing...

ESPN-Star has good commentators...this was my earlier view...but now I think they are way too over-analytical on everything and everybody...I dont like Geoff Boycott at all,Gavaskar,Akram are ok...but by far the best of the commentator lot is Mr. Harsha Bhogle

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
nikhil1772 said:
India - Our National TV DD airs all the matches in India LIVE and all I can say is Something is better than nothing...cause quite frankly the commentators (except Sanjay Manjrekar) suck...even Ravi Shastri gets on my nerves...either he is too repititive or makes dumb comments here and there...
The hindi commentators are laughable...they constantly change their viewpoints about certain players according to how they are playing...

ESPN-Star has good commentators...this was my earlier view...but now I think they are way too over-analytical on everything and everybody...I dont like Geoff Boycott at all,Gavaskar,Akram are ok...but by far the best of the commentator lot is Mr. Harsha Bhogle
Boycott is always entertaining :D I don't mind his cheeky comments

vvk

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
MANJREKAR Is the most USELESS commentator EVER, all he does is try to sound funny and witty all the time - and in the end makes a total *** of himself.

biased indian

International Coach
vvk said:
MANJREKAR Is the most USELESS commentator EVER, all he does is try to sound funny and witty all the time - and in the end makes a total *** of himself.
even though he may not be the best around. he is not what u think he is

12th Man

U19 12th Man
sky in england is better than c4. although c4's commentators are probably better. the actual coverage, and quantity of it cannot be matched by C4.

_Ed_

zinzan12 said:
4) SKY SPORTS - NEW ZEALAND - Average Commentary team with too many "wetfish" in Gavin Larsen and Danny Morrison although very nice presentation of technology -particularly "Sky-Virtual". Also the added treat of Coney's Dillmar tea party which can be a laugh.
Agree, although I think Coney and Mark Richardson are really, really good commentators and Ian Smith is good too but he seems to have been scarred by commentary stints in Australia, becoming more and more biased every game.

Richardson is amazing considering this is his first season, he's going to be one of our best for a long time.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
That Doordarshan/TransWorld combine were terrible so far during the PAK tour of India.
Until that Shaz Waz nonsense entered and ruined the programming.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I like SuperSport in South Africa... They have seriously dedicated coverage of the Rugby Currie Cup and SA matches and all international matches in both English and Afrikaans, and I think they also show loads of domestic cricket from the UK as well as international games ).. Good commentry team without being amazing, I like Imraan Munschi as an insightful pundit who doesn't blow his own trumpet.. and of course it's far cheaper than many other sattelite services..

Channel Four are fairly useless with Nicholas at the head of things, and their highlights show is insulting to be honest.. And they are largely irrelevant now seeing as the ECB has sold out to Sky..

Sky provide top notch coverage, but its so damn expensive, and the commentary team (bar foxy fowler and bumble) is pretty sh*te..

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
_Ed_ said:
Agree, although I think Coney and Mark Richardson are really, really good commentators and Ian Smith is good too but he seems to have been scarred by commentary stints in Australia, becoming more and more biased every game.

Richardson is amazing considering this is his first season, he's going to be one of our best for a long time.
I'm not a fan of Richardson's commentary. He is too concerned with trying to analyse everything as if he had been commentating for years. I prefer commentators who add humour to the game, as well as the likes of Boycott and Lloyd when they're criticising players - makes me laugh my head off - "We need good batsmen and good bowlers. We don't need McGrath, we don't need Blackwell who are rubbish at both"

Ian Smith makes good points ocasionally, but kills them by going on and on about it for the next 3 days. And, I agree, he seems to be getting quite biased.

Zinzan

Ian Smith was better a few years ago when he wasn't quite so out spoken.

What annoys me about Smith is he make his little mildly interesting points and observations and try's to sound like they are the most important words ever spoken and its almost as if he thinks no one else would have picked up on it.

The amount a times he say what "Stephen Fleming" or such and such player is thinking suggests he thinks he's some time of mind reader.

He's also become grumpy and sarcastic if NZ aren't doing well.

I think Smith was best a few years ago when he was the neutral commentator for the ashes

CrazyEyes

Cricket Spectator
zinzan12 said:
My Ranking from what I've seen are....

1) CHANNEL 9 - AUSTRALIA - No.1 mainly due the great commentary team although the use of technology has imporved in recent years.

2) CHANNEL 4 - ENGLAND - Amazing use of technology and Analysis, not far behind channel 9 overall.

3) SKY SPORTS - ENGLAND - Apart from Bob Willis sending me to sleep, a good commentary team and good use of technology although not quite as sharp as Channel 4.

4) SKY SPORTS - NEW ZEALAND - Average Commentary team with too many "wetfish" in Gavin Larsen and Danny Morrison although very nice presentation of technology -particularly "Sky-Virtual". Also the added treat of Coney's Dillmar tea party which can be a laugh.

I haven't seen enough of other t.v networks recently such as ESPN and others that cover sub-continent games or the west indies and s.africa for that matter to compare.

Perhaps others can let us know how they compare to those above
Hey mate I am guessing the guy who posted this stupid topic is Australian...maybe u shuld go to India and check out the coverage ESPN and Star sport have it over anything your have on offer over here in Australia.No comparison

Lyell_Chris

U19 12th Man
i like the channel 9 stuff we get from aussie except all the bloody advertising

sky sport nz is ok

I've been impressed with the coverage we got from Zimbabwe considering what a mess the country is in.

Shounak

Banned
howardj said:
The Channel Nine commentary team would have to be the worst in the world.
WTTFFF??? Unbelievable.. Any other alternatives?? I much prefer the channel nine commentary team to the blokes on ESPN. Foxtel's such a crock.. During the India Aus series, I muted the TV and turned up the radio. 774 ooh yeah. Got the likes of Harsha Bhogle and all the radio commentators giving a much better analysis of every ball and the game. I wouldn't dream of doing that if the Channel 9 Commentary box were on.The sports active feature was good on Foxtel, but the novelty wore off. I'd go for Richie, Greigy and co. anyday..

Lawry, and Tony Greig just give the Aussie team too much praise - they are like salesmen.....trying to sell us on how good the Aussie team are
Lawry yes. Not Greigy though. He's the balancing factor in the commentary box. He's fairly neutral and can often be against Australia. Usually one of the only people in the box.

Zinzan

CrazyEyes said:
Hey mate I am guessing the guy who posted this stupid topic is Australian...maybe u shuld go to India and check out the coverage ESPN and Star sport have it over anything your have on offer over here in Australia.No comparison
If you actually read my opening post (that you have quoted), you'd see that I didn't comment on the others (india, s.a, w.i ect) simply because i've hardly heard them.

READ !!! :dry:

Zinzan

CrazyEyes said:
I'm not Australian

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Subcontinental coverage and the commentators here have to be the worst in the world.

It is tragic that the region that brings bulk of the money to the game , THROUGH TV, suffers from such horrendous coverage.

When India are playing and there is another series on covered by another foreign channel, it is such a contrast that at times, one is tempted to stay with the foreign channel at the cost of missing the India game. There cant be a stronger indictment of Indian coverage. There is no point in naming bad Indian commentators. They are legion. The good ones are good only by comarison to other Indian commentators. Still they have the audacity to be arrogant in their attitudes towards the guest commentators including even Boycott at times.

I sometimes. switch turn the volume to mute and watch the games. Unfortunatley, missing the sound of the crowds and the sound of bat on ball also goes away.