• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Could've been a candidate for an All Time Great XI but for..........

neville cardus

International Debutant
Actually Bart King (the fella in np10's avatar) is another. Were he not American or had the ICC (then the Imperial Cricket Council) decided to admit the US instead of the Windies as the 4th test playing nation, he could've been remembered as a genuine Great instead of merely (arguably) the greatest player from a non-test nation.
Ralph Barker included him in his Ten Great Bowlers.

archie mac

International Coach
Albert Trott, left out of the 96 tour to England

Kortright, no Tests played during the two years he was at his peak

Pooley, in gaol at time of first Test

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
You've a number of players there whom I'd call all-time greats anyway.
Not candidates for an All Time XI though and all were cut short for one reason or another. Even the great Sir Donald himself had prime years whisked from under him by the War but his presence in an All Time XI is never disputed.

neville cardus

International Debutant
Albert Trott, left out of the 96 tour to England
His obsession with clearing the Lord's pavilion also got the better of him

Kortright, no Tests played during the two years he was at his peak
The only bowler, perhaps, to send a ball for what would today be six byes.

Pooley, in gaol at time of first Test
A fascinating character and an awesome 'keeper, only just behind Pinder and Blackham in the contemporary stakes.

neville cardus

International Debutant
Not candidates for an All Time XI though and all were cut short for one reason or another. Even the great Sir Donald himself had prime years whisked from under him by the War but his presence in an All Time XI is never disputed.
Richards and Pollock would certainly make a few all-time elevens, irrespective of their lack of Test-Match experience.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Richards and Pollock would certainly make a few all-time elevens, irrespective of their lack of Test-Match experience.
Barry Richards is the second best batsman I've ever seen but I don't think he crops up in too many All Time XI's because his chances to prove his ability were so few.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I have spotted him in quite a few tbh:)

Okay I withdraw Barry Richards immediately from the XI on the grounds that he achieved everything that it was humanly possible for one man to achieve and only a fool would leave him out of an All Time Great XI. He will be instantly replaced by Alan Butcher who played only one Test because he had to frequently withdraw from the squad because he couldn't get a babysitter for Mark.

sideshowtim

Banned
Keith Stackpole
Jack Fingleton (SA side)
Greg Chappell
Ian Chappell
ashley Mallett
Denis Compton
Dickie Bird
Don Bradman
Brian Johnston
They're all dolts. You can't play 2 Tests and be considered one of the greatest to play Test cricket. If that were the case, Michael Hussey would EASILY make any All-Time Great XI.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Agree with Tim TBH, picking Barry Richards as a "great" batsman I have no issue with, but one of the best Test batsmen of all-time he was not, nor close to, as he didn't, unfortunately, play anywhere near enough.

If you wanted him in an all-time XI, it'd be difficult to justify calling that a "Test" team.

neville cardus

International Debutant
Agree with Tim TBH, picking Barry Richards as a "great" batsman I have no issue with, but one of the best Test batsmen of all-time he was not, nor close to, as he didn't, unfortunately, play anywhere near enough.
If you wanted him in an all-time XI, it'd be difficult to justify calling that a "Test" team.
I think that the "Test" qualification is bit of a misnomer. We might as well include W.G. in the eleven on the grounds that Test cricket (in England, at least) started when he was past his prime.

neville cardus

International Debutant
They're all dolts.
You've lost a lot of my respect in saying that.

You can't play 2 Tests and be considered one of the greatest to play Test cricket. If that were the case, Michael Hussey would EASILY make any All-Time Great XI.
Who said that those men included Richards in their all-time Test elevens? I think that you ought to take back your annoyingly ill-considered and profanatory denunciation. If anyone here is worthy of the "dolt" tag, it is yourself.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
If its the best team they can think of, then I see no reason why they should be forced to pick a player they believe to be inferior just because they played more Tests ahead of the player they think is superior.

If they believe a guy to be better than the other options, then number of Tests doesnt matter.

sideshowtim

Banned
Barry Richards may have been a great batsman, but he simply didn't play enough International cricket to be handed 'great' status. Sorry. I don't consider him an All-Time cricketing great. He was a potential great, sure. He never done enough to be named in any World All-Time Great XI though. That status places him amongst the 5 best batsmen to have ever lived (Assuming there's an all-rounder at 6 and a keeper at 7), and that's a pretty ludicrous status to award someone who has played 2 Test matches.

It's certainly unfortunate, as I'm pretty sure he would've gone on to be a great, but he quite simply can't hold that status in my eyes. It's pure speculation.

sideshowtim

Banned
If its the best team they can think of, then I see no reason why they should be forced to pick a player they believe to be inferior just because they played more Tests ahead of the player they think is superior.

If they believe a guy to be better than the other options, then number of Tests doesnt matter.
It's not like we're discounting Richards because he played 40 Tests to someone elses 60 or something. He played 2 Tests. The sample space is quite simply not large enough for him to be considered an all-time 'great'.

And sorry, 'great' status isn't handed out based on achievements in FC cricket. If that were the case, Graeme Hick would be an all-time great.