• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Could've been a candidate for an All Time Great XI but for..........

sideshowtim

Banned
Great stuff, imagine him with one of the new bats, they say he was so much better than the competition that he often became bored, and simply gave his wicket away
Who is "they"? And if he did do that, it's pretty damn ridiculous and a blight on his mark as a batsman. Your aim is to score as many runs as you can out there.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Spare a thought for Basil D'Oliviera who made his Test debut at an age when some players retire (35+ years).

sideshowtim

Banned
picking an ALL TIME XI itself is pure speculation, for God's sakes....
Uh...Of course. But the aim of it is to pick proven performers. Barry Richards was not a consistently proven performer at Test level, and deciding whether he would've been is pure speculation. Now, at least with the others that may be picked we are certain that they had an excellent Test record. That was my point. Surely wasn't that hard to comprehend?

neville cardus

International Debutant
Yes Hobbs was well known, and the famous Miller quote when he allowed himself to be bowled for a duck when Aust scored 700 in a day against Essex 'thank god that is over'
Tempted though I am to do so myself, I'll allow you to quote, too, what Braddles said almost immediately after that.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tempted though I am to do so myself, I'll allow you to quote, too, what Braddles said almost immediately after that.
Something like "You're a moron."? "You're off the team"?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Great stuff, imagine him with one of the new bats, they say he was so much better than the competition that he often became bored, and simply gave his wicket away
Indeed, and it's such a shame.
Richards himself for one, ala Trumper, Bradman and Mark Waugh on occasions8-)
Not to mention Hobbs, and Miller.
Yes Hobbs was well known, and the famous Miller quote when he allowed himself to be bowled for a duck when Aust scored 700 in a day against Essex 'thank god that is over'
As it was in the Hobbs and, to a lesser extent, Miller cases.

I have to look at Richards' - excellent nonetheless - First-Class record and think "what might it have been had he tried his best ATT"? Likewise Hobbs. Both "only" averaged early 50s IIRR, and both seem quite capable of having averaged over 60, if only they could have attained the desire.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Vijay Merchant but for not too much test cricket. Still his record is fabulous.

I was talking to the late Ramesh Divecha once and he told me how he would smell the ball in a forward defensive stroke and then let it go to the keeper.

Lots of batsmen (Gavaskar for example) are terrific at letting go the slightly short pitched delivery by moving quickly to the front foot and then watch and let the ball go, with in nanometers of the stumps, if they felt there was no need to play. Merchant was one of those who would go forward in defense (he had an immaculate forward defense reminiscent of Jack Hobbs) and just as he seemed to be so low over the ball with the bat coming down to meet it, he would decide it was not to be and let the ball go through within nano meters of his nostrils :)

There was accute rivalry between Divecha's father and Merchant - Vithal Divecha being boss of the BCA and Merchant the boss of BCCI and both being involved in the running of the game in Bombay . Ramesh Divecha felt that was the reason why Merchant would organise games where Divecha and Phadkar (the India attack) would be the bowlers for one side and Merchant would open with Hazare for the other side and bat on and on for ever and ever.

He did admit, grudgingly, that it was also a compliment of sorts for Merchant was making sure he got his practice against the best new ball bowlers India had to offer. However, his political rivalry with the elder Divecha made him never select Ramesh Divecha for Bombay. Divecha went on to play for India without having played in Ranji Trophy for his home state and only his University games in England to commend his case.
Merchant and George Headley are the two players I most wish had played more Test-cricket.

Both could quite conceivably have been the 2nd-greatest batsman there's been since the turn of 1900.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's not like we're discounting Richards because he played 40 Tests to someone elses 60 or something. He played 2 Tests. The sample space is quite simply not large enough for him to be considered an all-time 'great'.

And sorry, 'great' status isn't handed out based on achievements in FC cricket. If that were the case, Graeme Hick would be an all-time great.
It's very different, it's important to note, rating a batsman who had no or next to no Test career on his achievements in domestic-FC cricket than it is rating one who was for the greater part a failure in Tests on said dom-FC.

JBMAC

State Captain
Merchant and George Headley are the two players I most wish had played more Test-cricket.

Both could quite conceivably have been the 2nd-greatest batsman there's been since the turn of 1900.
Headley was widely known as " The Black Bradman"