• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Commentary Thread

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Warne was great comparing Lyon and Moeen today. Reminds you of what he was like when he started.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
Also interesting that Sky are keeping Punter on. Gower said he was only originally going to be here for the first 3 but they're keeping him on for at least TB.

Good decision.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Would like to see him stay for the non-Ashes stuff, like Warne has done

Interestingly I said the same thing six years ago about Warne

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I reckon Warne would be a lot less dislikeable as a commentator if he was with Sky full time instead of picking up bad habits from the clowns in the box at Channel 9 and ESPN Star.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah but I get the feeling he is too far gone now. Ponting has been excellent, would be great if we could have him every summer.

Midwinter

State Captain
I reckon Warne would be a lot less dislikeable as a commentator if he was with Sky full time instead of picking up bad habits from the clowns in the box at Channel 9 and ESPN Star.
Get them all away from the C9 commentary box and they are interesting to listen to.

But it's the C9 way, they have to commentate as if people aren't interested in cricket.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Sky showing a class masterclass with Healy, Warne, Ponting and Ward. CH9 viewers in full tears here.
Looked like it was on the Ch 9 lunch break too, I was watching at the pub though so couldn't hear it. Healy actually provide some value on keeping?

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I thought so yeah. But keeping is easily the discipline I know least about technically, so it could've just been basic stuff he was talking about.

Niall

International Coach
As the mails gets more clicks than it deserves copy and paste.

Big news this. Hopefully no Warne which is a wonderful thing and the likes of Botham is unlikely as well.

I'd assume the main English guys involved will be Vaughan and Swann. Ponting a safe enough bet as well.

BT Sport grab 2017-18 Ashes TV rights from rivals Sky Sports in £350m coup | Daily Mail Online

England’s cricketers were not the only ones celebrating an Ashes win on Sunday night — so were BT Sport, who have seized the rights to the 2017-18 series Down Under from arch-rivals Sky in a major coup.
In a move that demonstrates BT will challenge Sky strongly on the cricket field as well as on the football pitch, the network have secured the UK contract for Aussie home matches from Cricket Australia for the next five years.
It is believed to be costing them around £70million a year.

he deal’s centrepiece is the next Ashes clash in 2017-18, when the home side will be hellbent on regaining the urn.
Losing that showcase series is a massive blow to Sky, whose cricket coverage has set new standards. Only football is more important to the broadcaster than cricket.
But Sky, following their £11m-a-match Premier League deal, were not able to compete with BT’s mammoth £350m offer for cricket rights, which starts with the Australia v New Zealand series in November.

And BT, as they have shown with their Champions League production, will want to put their own stamp on cricket rather than just hiring Sky personnel.
Sky, having to be more pragmatic with their rights-buying since investing so much in the Premier League, will point to a lot of the Ashes action in Australia taking place overnight.
Share or comment on this article

Read more: BT Sport grab 2017-18 Ashes TV rights from rivals Sky Sports in £350m coup | Daily Mail Online

Last edited:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Where do BT get all this money from? I will probably finally have to get it. I doubt it will be better coverage, Robbie Savage will probably be part of it.