• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Commentary Complaints Thread

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Not a new observation but Danny Murphy is like a miserable pub bore
It was Uppercut in the last Euro's commentary complaints thread who opened my eyes to how bad Murphy is. I'd never paid him enough attention to notice before.

Once it's pointed out to you you can't 'unsee' it though.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I think I found Lawrenson worse. He wasn’t quite as stupid as Murphy, but he was much more relentlessly negative. It was like watching with Tony Soprano’s mother.
Lawrenson was paid to fly out to Brazil and watch football for a month and made it sound like the most miserable existence in the world.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think I found Lawrenson worse. He wasn’t quite as stupid as Murphy, but he was much more relentlessly negative. It was like watching with Tony Soprano’s mother.
Ha, exactly this. If one was not impressed by Mark being unimpressed his schtick got very old very quickly.

And all delivered in his oddly camp high pitched northern drawl; it was like being dissed by Alan Bennett if he'd come from Preston and played centre half for Liverpool.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
I realise I made it sound like it did work for Lawrenson. Not so.

Tbf my early memory of Lawrenson was some funny-to-a-ten-year-old quips on an old FIFA. Something about a magic sponge.

Maybe he worked okay once upon a time, but yeah latter day Lawrenson was even more of a miseryguts.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I can't decide which is more annoying; linesmen who wait before flagging marginal offsides or commentators who complain about it.

Victor Ian

International Coach
I'm a big non fan of GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLL.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Not a commentary complaint as such, but why is the graphic which shows how the players line up backwards?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I’ve been watching re-runs of the Big Match from 1975 and Martin Tyler is the producer. Not overly relevant, but there you have it. :santa:

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm a big non fan of GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLL.
Was entertaining the first time, but diminishing returns.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Do we mean the Spanish language commentator version? Gol rather than Goal? I love that one but if English speakers are trying to copy it then that's lame.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Aye, it's one of those things that doesn't work in English.

Personally find it really contrived, there's a Brazilian (I think) commentator who'll rabbit on for a few seconds, take a breath then go for a big long GOOOOOOOOOL which sounds rubbish.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Do we mean the Spanish language commentator version? Gol rather than Goal? I love that one but if English speakers are trying to copy it then that's lame.
I've heard it a few times. I've been listening to the Arab and french commentary because my wife has gone nuts for this WC. She's Moroccan and watching every game. I thought she was going to smash our windows last night.

ripper868

International Coach
not a complaint, but a compliment. Klinsmann is rather enjoyable as a pundit, guy obviously has the knowledge, but he comes across as a guy I'd happily have 2-8 pints over a steak with as well.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I've heard it a few times. I've been listening to the Arab and french commentary because my wife has gone nuts for this WC. She's Moroccan and watching every game. I thought she was going to smash our windows last night.
Arab soccer commentary is next level.

It is either a homoerotic orgy tinged with incest and bestiality (good) or your father's anus is being cursed (not good).

There is no in between.