• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Choose ONE all-rounder for the all-time ODI XI

Choose ONE allrounder for the all-time ODI XI

• Lance Klusener

Votes: 11 17.2%
  • Shaun Pollock

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • Andrew Flintoff

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Imran Khan

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • Jacques Kallis

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Sanath Jayasuriya

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Abdul Razzaq

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Kapil Dev

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • Richard Hadlee

Votes: 8 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Kapil Dev bowling: 27.45, 3.71 economy
Imran Khan bowling: 26.61, 3.85 economy

Kapil Dev batting: 23.79, 1 century, 95 S/R
Imran Khan batting: 33.41 1 century, 72 S/R

Captain: Obvioulsy Imran

Was he better? Yea, he was. But it's not day and night difference like it is in Tests.

short shorts

School Boy/Girl Captain
Also it must be noted that Imran benefitted from 40 not outs in 190 or so games, while Kapil had 39 not outs in 225 games. If you remove the not outs, Imrans runs per innings stat is 19 and Kapil's corresponding stat is 16. People will now question the validity of removing not outs from the equation, but to me that matters because obviously Imran with his strike rate of 72 would ensure more not outs than Kapil with his cavalier approach and strike rate of 95. An all-rounder batting at 6-7 would benefit an all-time ODI team more if his strike rate was closer to 100 than 70. It doesn't befit an all time team to have their number 7 batting at a Strike rate of 72.

For me, Kapil emerges the better One day all-rounder.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Are u kidding me??? Imran any given day was a much much better bowler than Kapil!
Kapil Dev has the slightly better economy rate, couple that with his much more destructive batting at #7 and I think he's the perfect candidate.

Perm

Agree, much better batter as well, and captain.
Batsman. Imran Khan may have been a better captain but I don't think he is at all a better ODI batsman than Kapil Dev, especially given that the all-rounder will be batting at #7 where Kapil's quick runs will be more of an asset. He averages 24 at #7 and Imran averages 28 so once again the difference is not as big, but the strike rate difference of over 20 is a telling statistic.

Perm

Kapil Dev bowling: 27.45, 3.71 economy
Imran Khan bowling: 26.61, 3.85 economy

Kapil Dev batting: 23.79, 1 century, 95 S/R
Imran Khan batting: 33.41 1 century, 72 S/R

Captain: Obvioulsy Imran

Was he better? Yea, he was. But it's not day and night difference like it is in Tests.
Sorry, who are you saying is better player (captaincy excluded)? Imran Khan or Kapil Dev?

Perm

Interesting debate this. However, Imran is definitely winning on the polls.
Sadly, I would vote for Imran in Test's but my ODI vote will always go to Kapil. What's even more surprising is that Kapil Dev and Sir Richard Hadlee have the same number of votes

short shorts

School Boy/Girl Captain
That's batting strike rate, he was talking about bowling.
yeah, my mistake, didn't read his post properly. Anyway that shows up his biased mentality even more if that claim of his was purely on the basis of their bowling, since while I can see how the casual observer might be fooled by just glancing at their batting averages, doing so on the basis of their ODI bowling is nothing but sheer prejudice considering Kapil had the better economy rate despite bowling for a weaker side and bowling 2 extra years in the 90s compared to Imran.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Nothing between Imran and Kapil I think.

Zulu's bowling would be cannon fodder compared to the rest of the bowlers. With Imran or Kapil and 4 other great bowlers, there would be no let up.

However, if the top six is composed of great batsmen, then perhaps Kapil would be more handier to finish the innings off with a bang. Imran gives me the impression of being someone that got his side out of trouble, more so than being a basher to end the innings.

Perm

yeah, my mistake, didn't read his post properly. Anyway that shows up his biased mentality even more if that claim of his was purely on the basis of their bowling, since while I can see how the casual observer might be fooled by just glancing at their batting averages, doing so on the basis of their ODI bowling is nothing but sheer prejudice considering Kapil had the better economy rate despite bowling for a weaker side and bowling 2 extra years in the 90s compared to Imran.
The difference in batting stats (average and strike rate) is much more noticable than in the bowling department (average, economy rate). I could understand people voting for Imran on the basis of him having better batting stats and generally being considered a better bowler, even though Kapil has the proven ODI record.

Perm

Nothing between Imran and Kapil I think.

Zulu's bowling would be cannon fodder compared to the rest of the bowlers. With Imran or Kapil and 4 other great bowlers, there would be no let up.

However, if the top six is composed of great batsmen, then perhaps Kapil would be more handier to finish the innings off with a bang. Imran gives me the impression of being someone that got his side out of trouble, more so than being a basher to end the innings.
Exactly, it is more important to have a good bowler at #7 because he will have to bowl, whereas if the top six batsman do their job then he should rarely have to come to the middle. If he does of course, then Kapil would be better equipped to take advantage of a good position while Imran could probably salvage a top order collapse.