• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Check Murali's action in a Test - Warne

lionheart

School Boy/Girl Captain
Gee, thanks Professor Warne. I knew there was something we all missed......oh wait

While a full run-up and standard pitch were used, data were collected in a laboratory environment. It is our considered opinion that this is the only way to record accurate and reliable 3D data of elbow movement, particularly for spin bowling.
- Professor Bruce Elliott of The School of Human Movement and Exercise Science, University of Western Australia, Perth

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Tbh, I think it a bit lame - though, in schoolboy guise, I can say that Warne started it, lol!

I doubt if Warne meant anything malicious by saying it, but that is not to say that he did not intend on some mischief - his intelligence seems to be solely restricted to the cricketing field. As for Murali, I wish he had STFU - but I can understand his response, nonetheless. Also, I doubt he will get to 1000.
No I think Murali's response is fair...given he has been repeatedly targeted by Warne with comments like this in the past and he has tried to ignore it...but this one is a bit annoying even for the most docile creatures like Murali...I think its appropriate...Its now upto Warne to clear the Air and make Truce...

Although I agree with Warne's suggestions , the timing was a bit too awkward and from Murali's position very annoying....

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
No I think Murali's response is fair...given he has been repeatedly targeted by Warne with comments like this in the past and he has tried to ignore it...but this one is a bit annoying even for the most docile creatures like Murali...I think its appropriate...Its now upto Warne to clear the Air and make Truce...

Although I agree with Warne's suggestions , the timing was a bit too awkward and from Murali's position very annoying....
Well even if Murali didn't like Warne' comments he should have just played it cool, reacting so furiously to an interview isn't a right thing to do, but as i said before this was the worst time possible for Warne to come up with such a statement.
Would be interesting to see what has Warney got up his sleeve now!

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Whilst this is ancient history and there's no point in debating it again, Murali underwent remedial action and subsequently changed.

In relation to Hadlee/Kapil, I'll excuse you for the fact that youre from the sub-continent BUT trans-Tasman rivalry is akin to Pak/India albeit on a lot smaller scale. The fact that virtually no-one cared that a Kiwi broke an Aussie hero's record just goes to show how completely irrelevant it is to all bar the most biased and Mr Warne
First of all Aus-Nz rivalry is like India-Nepal rivalry. Secondly Lillee's record was broken by Ian Botham.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I really doubt it. My guess would be that they'd react "he knows he's being tested so he's obviously going to bowl legally" or some such tomfoolery. It's exactly the same as it would be in a lab.

No, I'm happy, personally, with the lab testing, and that Murali was bowling exactly then as he would in a game.

In any case - how easy would it be to test a player in-game? That's before we even get to the fact that, really, it's completely unfair. A player should be able to concentrate on the game at hand to the maximum extent, not have to be worrying about the fact that 2 deliveries might be 0.663degrees over the limit - which, I gurantee you, some naysayers would use to claim he was a chucker and this proves all for evermore etc. etc.
In a perfect world he'd be tested without him knowing thus negating those reactions...but I don't think this is possible at the moment.

Warne's idea is a very good one, but whether it's viable is another thing completely.

burr

State Vice-Captain
I like Greg Baum's line the best: Warne was tactless, as he always has been.

I think people are being too kind to Warne. I think he knew exactly what he was doing and although he's too stupid to be malicious he wants to remind everyone that whether Murali gets the record or not it won't take away from his greatness because there are "doubts" over Murali’s action, he's taken lots of wickets against minnows blah blah blah. Warne embarrasses me. Anyone can see that Murali is a decent, good man (everything Warne is not) and yet whenever he comes to this country he has to put up with all this crap. It was so unnecessary. Warne should be ashamed, particularly as he knew they'd be presenting this cup together and Murali would take offence to his suggestion.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Murali ought to toughen up for mine and take more wickets. Hes been abysmal in Australia thus far, and he may only have one chance left to set right his record.

andyc

Fair call from Murali, that's what it seemed like to me when I first read the article tbh.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Muttiah Muralitharan has his hand set in a cast for the new Warne-Muralitharan Trophy, which has been unveiled in Hobart © Getty Images

Shane Warne and Muttiah Muralitharan called their war of words in the media a "miscommunication" as they unveiled the new trophy that bears their names. Tensions between the pair had risen after Muralitharan called Warne a "miserable man" following Warne's comment that Muralitharan should have his bowling action analysed during a Test.

But they came together in Hobart to launch the Warne-Muralitharan Trophy, which will be the prize in Australia-Sri Lanka Test series beginning with the current tour. "There is no issue at all," Muralitharan told AAP

"I thought he said something about my bowling action and then I said he was a miserable man. We just talked to each other and patched it up. It was a miscommunication more than anything else."

Warne said he and Muralitharan were good friends. "I spoke to Murali about it this morning so I'm pretty happy actually, I'm not that miserable," Warne said. "I've got absolutely no issue with Murali and his action or anything like that.

"All I've said in my column that I wrote was that commonsense should prevail. If umpires or anybody has any issue with actions - I'm not saying Murali's but anyone's in world cricket - then they should be tested in match conditions."

In his angry response to Warne's column Muralitharan had said that perhaps Warne was upset he was about to lose his record of 708 Test wickets to Muralitharan. "I've enjoyed having [the record]," Warne said. "I'm happy to pass it on to Murali. I think he'll take a thousand."
You know, I think they'd better.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I like Greg Baum's line the best: Warne was tactless, as he always has been.

I think people are being too kind to Warne. I think he knew exactly what he was doing and although he's too stupid to be malicious he wants to remind everyone that whether Murali gets the record or not it won't take away from his greatness because there are "doubts" over Murali’s action, he's taken lots of wickets against minnows blah blah blah. Warne embarrasses me. Anyone can see that Murali is a decent, good man (everything Warne is not) and yet whenever he comes to this country he has to put up with all this crap. It was so unnecessary. Warne should be ashamed, particularly as he knew they'd be presenting this cup together and Murali would take offence to his suggestion.
Haha, bloody hell, never seen Baum so annoyed.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
In a perfect world he'd be tested without him knowing thus negating those reactions...but I don't think this is possible at the moment.

Warne's idea is a very good one, but whether it's viable is another thing completely.
AFAIK, it's completely impossible. The only way to do it is to have all sorts of wires and tracing-spots at all sorts of joints.

There's virtually no way you could get an accurate measurement without the player knowing the measurement was being taken.

shortpitched713

International Captain
AFAIK, it's completely impossible. The only way to do it is to have all sorts of wires and tracing-spots at all sorts of joints.

There's virtually no way you could get an accurate measurement without the player knowing the measurement was being taken.
Use hawkeye? :unsure:

Son Of Coco

Exactly what I was saying...maybe one day this won't be the case.

Just out of interest...how did they come to the conclusion that everyone was above the limit in the Champions Trophy apart from Sarwan again? I've asked this before but I forgot the answer...if the above holds wouldn't it be impossible without getting all of them into the clinic?

BoyBrumby

Englishman

Just out of interest...how did they come to the conclusion that everyone was above the limit in the Champions Trophy apart from Sarwan again? I've asked this before but I forgot the answer...if the above holds wouldn't it be impossible without getting all of them into the clinic?
Fair point.

I've always thought the argument that umpires get 92% of decisions right (or whatever the figure is) so technology isn't needed is self-defeating too. How is that figure arrived at, exactly? Via technology.... :unsure:

Lostman

State Captain

I think those numbers had a really big standard of deviation.