• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Catch drops/ Missed stumpings that might have resulted in Series loss

ImpatientLime

International Regular
-McCullum dropped by Kohli and ishant early in his 302.

- Ponting dropped by Giles (I think) at Adelaide 06. Would've probably been spanked in the series anyway though.

-Tendulkar dropped by Pakistan (assorted) in 2011 wc sf
oof the ponting one was grim.

australia were 74-3 responding to englands 551. ponting belts a pull straight down giles throat at deep square leg and he ****ing spills it. ponting then smashed 140 odd.

remember giles was picked off the back of nearly no cricket that year due to injury, ahead of the in form panesar because of what extra he could add with the bat and in the field over the superior spinner. yeah nice one dunc.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Yeah I think it was Elliott that was dropped early in that Test. And yes, Warne dropped Pietersen on 15 (and I think there was another drop before that?) He as everyone knows scored 158.
i think pietersen edged one off warne that deflected off gilchrist's gloves (not attempting a catch) and knocked it off its path to hayden. would have been a relatively straight forward one for hayden if not for that.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Sangakkara missing Symonds in 2003 semi final. Then he ran Aravinda out. If neither happened, SL had a chance in 2003 WC too.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Freddie dropped Yousuf on 12 in Lahore in 2005. He went on to make 200+, the innings that started his amazing purple patch. It also took away any chance of England drawing the series.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Doesn't really count as a drop but Lyon fumbling the simple return to run Leach out was one of the biggest chokes ever. Cost Australia a series win too. Would it have changed the WTC qualification equation for them?

Boult kinda dropped the world cup too in the same year.

Bijed

International Regular
Doesn't really count as a drop but Lyon fumbling the simple return to run Leach out was one of the biggest chokes ever. Cost Australia a series win too. Would it have changed the WTC qualification equation for them?

Boult kinda dropped the world cup too in the same year.
Yeah, I'm surprised he never copped more flack for that. I get that in the moment the freak deflection, incorrectly awarded runs and controversial tie-breaker distracted from it and are rightly pointed to as reasons why NZ didn't win but turning a straightforward catch into a six in a tight WC final would usually be labeled as an ATG choke moment, wouldn't it? And I say that as a Boult fan

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, I'm surprised he never copped more flack for that. I get that in the moment the freak deflection, incorrectly awarded runs and controversial tie-breaker distracted from it and are rightly pointed to as reasons why NZ didn't win but turning a straightforward catch into a six in a tight WC final would usually be labeled as an ATG choke moment, wouldn't it? And I say that as a Boult fan
Yep, 100%.

Boult hasn't copped any flak for it because a) we're not like that generally in cricket terms (rugby, different story) and b) I think his standing in his country kinda shielded him from it.

He also bowled reasonably poorly in that game, both in the initial 50 over and in the Super Over.

Mind you, he did take a catch at the death that got us over the line against the Windies, which if he'd dropped we'd not have been in the semis to start with.

TheJediBrah

Sangakkara missing Symonds in 2003 semi final. Then he ran Aravinda out. If neither happened, SL had a chance in 2003 WC too.
That was the Gilchrist walking game. If he didn't walk and kept batting the game probably isn't even s close as it ended up being

Flem274*

123/5
Yep, 100%.

Boult hasn't copped any flak for it because a) we're not like that generally in cricket terms (rugby, different story) and b) I think his standing in his country kinda shielded him from it.

He also bowled reasonably poorly in that game, both in the initial 50 over and in the Super Over.

Mind you, he did take a catch at the death that got us over the line against the Windies, which if he'd dropped we'd not have been in the semis to start with.
id say his final few balls made up for it. stokes really should have won that game in the final over with 1 or 2 to get, but boult was clutch.

Chewie

International Vice-Captain
I think he also knows himself that he screwed up really badly there and he doesn't like talking about the WC final at all based on recent articles I think, so no need to put any more pressure on him when we know he is still a quality cricketer

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
id say his final few balls made up for it. stokes really should have won that game in the final over with 1 or 2 to get, but boult was clutch.
That's true. Also a mitigating factor that as a nation we know that if it wasn't for a freak bounce of Stokes, he probably gets us home.

I think he also knows himself that he screwed up really badly there and he doesn't like talking about the WC final at all based on recent articles I think, so no need to put any more pressure on him when we know he is still a quality cricketer
Also true. He hasn't been as good since then, or certainly at the heights he was before the WC - whether that's mental, burnout, technical, dunno. But it does seem, as you say, he's very reluctant to talk about it.

Burgey

Reiffel did precisely the same thing with Kluesener in the 99 WC semi final, but the run out in the following over saved his blushes.

Burgey

remember giles was picked off the back of nearly no cricket that year due to injury, ahead of the in form panesar because of what extra he could add with the bat and in the field over the superior spinner. yeah nice one dunc.
TBF Panesar wouldn't have got to the same post code as that catch (and it was easy). Terrible fielder.

Jayro

U19 12th Man
Go through Parthiv's keeping for India against Australia at home soil in 2004, will subdue most with his consistent hiccups and definitely win not only the man of the match but the man of the series of this excercise, the fact that India kept persisting with him whole throughout the series is flabbergasting and was the leading cause of the downfall of what was once known as final-frontier for Aussies

OverratedSanity

Mark Waugh was dropped 3-4 times by Adam Bacher , I think, in his match saving hundred in the deciding test of the 98 series. Same innings with that infamous bail incident.

OverratedSanity

Go through Parthiv's keeping for India against Australia at home soil in 2004, will subdue most with his consistent hiccups and definitely win not only the man of the match but the man of the series of this excercise, the fact that India kept persisting with him whole throughout the series is flabbergasting and was the leading cause of the downfall of what was once known as final-frontier for Aussies
He also missed quite a few chances in the series in Australia earlier. Might have won at Sydney with a better keeper.