• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can SA topple Australia ?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There are many as mediocre or worse. It's truly bizarre how many people seem to have come to the conclusion that he's some sort of worst bowler ever based on the England series.

Harris is demonstration that SA are best-served going in with all-seam attacks but there is no better spinner in the country and it's pretty debateable that there's been any better since readmission - only Symcox would have a case.
I can sort of see why. He looks a lot worse than he is, because he has poorly-dyed hair, uses no front arm and barely gets the ball to turn ever. And the same with the bat, where he just hangs around on the back foot and soft-hands everything to fine leg or third man.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm a bit at a loss at all this talk over South Africa getting trounced. South Africa didn't exactly get smashed to bits last time they came. This time, they come with a more mature captain, an in-form batting lineup, a better pace attack and impressive recent track record, and will face an aging Aussie lineup without McGrath and Warne. I can't see anything but a close series.
It comes from the fact that they had a damn good team in 1996/97/98 and 2001/02 and 2005/06 as well - but still went to pieces. OK, so no-one should automatically presume based on that that they'll do such a thing a fourth time but it's very, very debateable whether this team is better than that of 2005/06 and there's no way on Earth it's as good as those of 1996/97/98 or 2001/02. Of course Australia are less good now than they were in any of those series but if SA go to pieces again they could easily win very handsomely indeed.

People tend to forget just how good the aforementioned SA sides were, just because of how dreadful they gave the impression they were in series' against Australia.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I can sort of see why. He looks a lot worse than he is, because he has poorly-dyed hair, uses no front arm and barely gets the ball to turn ever. And the same with the bat, where he just hangs around on the back foot and soft-hands everything to fine leg or third man.
Yeah - it's cosmetics getting in the way of judgement of ability. The awful front-arm and batting technique and the fact he's hardly the most photogenic you'll see makes far more impact on some people than it should.

He has of times got the ball to turn though - he just didn't on the most recent occasion he got the chance (ie, Green Park 2007/08). He would indeed be of little use if he couldn't even turn the ball on helpful surfaces, but he did do such a thing in Pakistan in early 2007/08.

Uppercut

It comes from the fact that they had a damn good team in 1996/97/98 and 2001/02 and 2005/06 as well - but still went to pieces. OK, so no-one should automatically presume based on that that they'll do such a thing a fourth time but it's very, very debateable whether this team is better than that of 2005/06 and there's no way on Earth it's as good as those of 1996/97/98 or 2001/02. Of course Australia are less good now than they were in any of those series but if SA go to pieces again they could easily win very handsomely indeed.

People tend to forget just how good the aforementioned SA sides were, just because of how dreadful they gave the impression they were in series' against Australia.
That's what you said before the series against England, though. Compared to the previous teams, this side is excellent at getting the job done. Also, Australia are as weak as they've been in quite a while.

Uppercut

Yeah - it's cosmetics getting in the way of judgement of ability. The awful front-arm and batting technique and the fact he's hardly the most photogenic you'll see makes far more impact on some people than it should.

He has of times got the ball to turn though - he just didn't on the most recent occasion he got the chance (ie, Green Park 2007/08). He would indeed be of little use if he couldn't even turn the ball on helpful surfaces, but he did do such a thing in Pakistan in early 2007/08.
Yeah i'd agree with that. He also actually bowled very well in the 4th innings at the Oval in the test just passed, but for little reward and in a dead rubber so noone took much notice. But at least it proved he can turn the ball a little. And he does have a pretty good arm ball for those rare occasions where he gets turn.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That's what you said before the series against England, though. Compared to the previous teams, this side is excellent at getting the job done.
Indeed, and the England Test series victory is one step in the right direction. Whether they can repeat the trick against Australia, we wait to see. Holding catches would make a massive difference, for starters.

Uppercut

Indeed, and the England Test series victory is one step in the right direction. Whether they can repeat the trick against Australia, we wait to see. Holding catches would make a massive difference, for starters.
Their catching was excellent in England, particularly in the slips. You don't get a much better cordon than Smith-Kallis-de Villiers. So the omens there are good too.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
ABdeV was a brilliant fielder last time too, and Kallis has been all his career. That was why I was so baffled at the number that both of them shelled. Kemp at least is pretty average so he was just a disappointment rather than a shock.

At least Smith didn't catch the bug. But he didn't get that many chances to take either, they all went wider to second, third or fourth, where the butter-fingers merchants were stood. 8-)

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant

**** he got it to turn in Pakistan? I take back EVERYTHING I just said.

He has got a good arm ball though, unfortunately he bowls it every ball.

Uppercut

Can't believe i'm defending him now, i gave him a good mocking over the summer. But when i did it my tongue was firmly in my cheek.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not entirely sure what you mean by this - I presume there's a heavy dose of sarcasm there. The point is that he did get it to turn on the 2 pitches he played on in Pakistan but barely 6 months later was failing to do on perhaps an even more helpful one at Green Park, Kanpur. This suggests some form of deterioration.

But there were no spin-friendly surfaces in the series in England and unsurprisingly he, along with MSP, offered no threat when the batting was good. As they would - they're both fingerspinners. It was never going to be any different.
Well - as I've said, he does turn the ball on a helpful surface, which is about all you can expect of a fingerspinner really.

Langeveldt

Soutie
There are many as mediocre or worse. It's truly bizarre how many people seem to have come to the conclusion that he's some sort of worst bowler ever based on the England series.

Harris is demonstration that SA are for the most part best-served going in with all-seam attacks but there is no better spinner in the country and it's pretty debateable that there's been any better since readmission - only Symcox would have a case.
Does Harris still have a better average than Panesar?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Divva nay have a clue. All I know is that career averages are pointless, and more so than ever in the case of fingerspinners.

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
In all honesty though, I've never really rated panesar either, he has no variation. I can't believe people rate Panesar as the best finger spinner in the world. He's not even in the same league as Vettori.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haha Vettori, possibly the most over-rated Test bowler of the last 10 years.

The guy averages 36 or something against Test standard nations. Newsflash - he isn't that good.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Simple truth is, Vettori, MSP and Harris (and many others) are all fingerspinners. They're not bowlers who are capable of performing on a wide variety of surfaces. They should be judged purely by success on turning wickets, and all have by-and-large done decently to well on such things.

They're all pretty good fingerspinners. But they aren't and never will be any more than that. You cannot be expecting them to be some superspinner Muttiah Muralitharan or Shane Warne.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So does that mean we should judge Brett Lee, Steve Harmison and Dale Steyn (three random examples) purely by success on seaming wickets?

Jakester1288

International Regular
I disagree with Richard, and agree with Perm. They need to perform on all wickets, in all conditions to be test class in my opinion, we cant just give them friendly pitches and judge them on that. Did Warne get judged on his performances on spinning pitches only? No. no one does, and no one should.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So does that mean we should judge Brett Lee, Steve Harmison and Dale Steyn (three random examples) purely by success on seaming wickets?
No. Seamers and fingerspinners aren't the same thing. Outstanding seamers can prevail on any surface. Outstanding fingerspinners cannot. On far more surfaces than not, even a good fingerspinner like MSP or Vettori has negligable chance of causing problems to good batsmen and should not be selected.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I disagree with Richard, and agree with Perm. They need to perform on all wickets, in all conditions to be test class in my opinion, we cant just give them friendly pitches and judge them on that.
Fingerspinners can never be Test-class without the appropriate surface. However, some fingerspinners are Test-class with such things (Vettori, MSP, Giles, maybe Harris) and others aren't (Dawson, Gareth Batty, Hauritz, Kartik, etc.). If you get on the wrong surface you might well think there was no difference between Giles and Batty, when there patently is. However, get the right surface and you can easily see that Giles was far better.
Did Warne get judged on his performances on spinning pitches only? No. no one does, and no one should.
Warne wasn't a fingerspinner, he was a wristspinner. Like seamers, outstanding wristspinners can prevail on any surface. This makes the average seamer easily, easily better than the average fingerspinner (or at least has for the last 40 years or so). Although wristspin isn't the same thing as seam (wristspinners as a rule tend to be either poor or exceptional, because it's an incredibly difficult art to master, there's very little middle-ground) the rule applies that wristspin and fingerspin are totally different things and completely pointless to compare. Many wristspinners are poor regardless of the surface; a select few (Murali; Warne; Mushtaq Ahmed for a brief time; Benaud; Grimmett and O'Reilly) are so good they can prevail on any surface.