• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can Dale Steyn become the fastest bowler to 300 Test wickets?

shankar

International Debutant
That was a very good delivery, but I don't think it was an inswinger, friend.

This is the delivery in question. There is no perceptible shape in the air into the batsman. Decked into him ever so slightly with the angle. If anything, it did him for pace and unlike Steyn's other deliveries, didn't go away from him. Sachin played across the line and was done for zip and angle, IMHO.

From cricinfo:
If I recall rightly the seam was pointed into the batsman. And it was slightly slower than usual - which is usually what gives his inswinger away.

I think Sachin's dismissals this series had far more to do with the height of the bowlers and his misjudgements of length than the incoming delivery.

As a change-up, gentle inswingers or 'in-seamers' are better than the massive inswinger that Anderson has now. However as a stock delivery vs Sachin, the big inswinger is better than the big outswinger - But you need to bowl it on a length or fuller and attack off-stump. For some reason Anderson kept getting the inswinger on short length throughout the series.

Last edited:

shankar

International Debutant
Neither of the Anderson dismissals are inswingers IMO. The second one is quite clearly a pure outswinger that Sachin's played around. The first one's gone straight - but the way the seam's pointing before the ball pitches it's clear that it was setup to be an outswinger. Maybe he had switched the shiny side to prevent it from swinging.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Oh yeah, absolutely. It is just that I don't think anything will really increase Steyn's success. I think he is doing as well as he could be reasonably expected to perform. With Broad and Anderson though, there is so much room for improvement in terms of accuracy and effectiveness of the stock delivery (not that they are poor, just not fan-bloody-tastic) that an inducker will help them more. It is a pretty pedantic point but one worth making, imo.
That's like saying Shane Warne was a better bowler once his flipper went south. Sure, he honed his stock ball and variations more, but the flipper wouldn't have hurt his chances of breaking through deadlocks. Same if he had a decent googly.

Spark

Global Moderator
If I recall rightly the seam was pointed into the batsman. And it was slightly slower than usual - which is usually what gives his inswinger away.

I think Sachin's dismissals this series had far more to do with the height of the bowlers and his misjudgements of length than the incoming delivery.

As a change-up, gentle inswingers or 'in-seamers' are better than the massive inswinger that Anderson has now. However as a stock delivery vs Sachin, the big inswinger is better than the big outswinger - But you need to bowl it on a length or fuller and attack off-stump. For some reason Anderson kept getting the inswinger on short length throughout the series.
Yeah he hasn't quite nailed it yet. It's better than what the last time I saw him try to bowl tons of inswingers to right-handers though, in the second half of the 09 Ashes, where they were mostly just half volleys. Got put away to square leg from even outside off stump at times because the swing was so easy to pick. As you say, the ball that really caused Tendulkar trouble was the one that seamed in, not really the full-blooded inswinger.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Steyn actually requires more wickets per match after the game at Newlands as Phillander didn't give him much of a chance of getting involved in the carnage on the second day. `

Steyn now requires 56 wickets in 8 games at 7 wickets per match.

SeamUp

International Coach
When this thread started he had 238 wickets in 46 matches.

He now has 260 wickets in 50 matches. So more or less just short of 6 wickets per match but call it 6 in the 4 matches since.

Dale will do an amaing job to even equal Lillee's record of 300 wickets in 56 matches but its possible. Beating it is impossible to me. So he needs 40 wickets in 6 matches.

Next 6 matches

Sri Lanka at Cape Town (Newlands)
New Zealand at Dunedin (University Oval)
New Zealand at Hamilton (Seddon Park)
New Zealand at Wellington (Basin Reserve)
England at The Oval
England at Leeds (Headingley)

The 7th match is at Lords.

Steyns natural length is the 'Newlands length' as the famous Western Province and 'SA' pairing of Garth Le Roux and Stephen Jefferies dubbed it in the 80's. Hence Dale has a good record at Newlands. 45 wickets in 8 matches @ 20.33 a piece (sure thats bascially 6 wickets per match as well).

New Zealand are set to prepare slow green seamers. Dale could get in the wickets here.

So it will all be set-up for England.

Last edited:

Rasimione

U19 Captain
Lillee got it after 56 tests? Wow! Damn he was a monster. But steyn in my oppinion only has a few years to go, i think from age 32 he wont be as effective.

SeamUp

International Coach
i think from age 32 he wont be as effective.
Big statement. Dale hasn't had injury problems and is a physical freak according to our medical staff with that technical jargon of hyper-flex muscles and so on.

As we can see, he doesn't need to bowl 145-150 anymore as his swingers and his slight in-seamer will work decently until he is 34-35 to me. He only has to bowl 145-150 when he wants to or needs to... so he switches it on and off.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Yeah, imho I think he's better when he bowls in the high 130s. He has much more control then.

His 145+ deliveries are nice to have with the old ball, though. No matter how little movement there is, its never easy facing such quick bowling.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
What are some other top bowlers' records after 50 matches?
Not sure how to get a full list, but here are a few notables after 50 Tests. I'd be surprised if this wasn't the top 10, or bloody close to it.

Lillee – 262 wickets at 23.40
Steyn – 260 wickets at 22.90
Donald – 251 wickets at 22.12
Murali – 245 wickets at 26.37
Waqar – 244 wickets at 22.07
Marshall – 237 wickets at 21.42
Warne – 235 wickets at 23.72
Hadlee – 235 wickets at 23.94
McGrath – 234 wickets at 22.77
Bedser – 232 wickets at 24.67

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Also

Imran - 232 wickets at 22.91 (which he actually had after 49 Tests and didn't bowl in his 50th)

Worth noting Shaun Pollock too - "only" 210 wickets but at a ****ing ridiculous average of 19.87.

Last edited:

Rasimione

U19 Captain
Big statement. Dale hasn't had injury problems and is a physical freak according to our medical staff with that technical jargon of hyper-flex muscles and so on.

As we can see, he doesn't need to bowl 145-150 anymore as his swingers and his slight in-seamer will work decently until he is 34-35 to me. He only has to bowl 145-150 when he wants to or needs to... so he switches it on and off.
The reason i said this is because of the ridiculous amount of ODI matches thats played. I hope im wrong. But i just wish we dont run him into the ground with limited over stuff.