• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can any one tell me what the hell Ponting is talking about ?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
:laugh:. This has gone beyond ridiculous now. Ponting never said the word "I believe the Mumbai test wicket was under prepared by THE GROUNDSMEN DELIBERATELY" MY GOD WTF. He just questioned the preparation of the wicket - by saying "it was not close to test standard" which he clearly was in his rights to say after what happened.

Haha. whats really up with you Indian cats & the dumb Ponting hate. Yall need to take a chill pill & back up yo..
So he knew weather conditions hampered pitch preparations.. And yet he wants an ENQUIRY? Enquiry abt what? Why it rained on those days???????????? :laugh:

Shri

Mr. Glass
:laugh:. This has gone beyond ridiculous now. Ponting never said the word "I believe the Mumbai test wicket was under prepared by THE GROUNDSMEN DELIBERATELY" MY GOD WTF. He just questioned the preparation of the wicket - by saying "it was not close to test standard" which he clearly was in his rights to say after what happened.

Haha. whats really up with you Indian cats & the dumb Ponting hate. Yall need to take a chill pill & back up yo..
Do you want everybody to spell out their thoughts exactly in a way that you want? Dense.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
It would be interesting to see how many draws in NZ are rain affected, as opposed to five (or close to) full days of cricket. I honestly wouldn't know, I hardly watch NZ games as I don't have pay TV.

Sir Alex

Banned

aussiefanforever! :tongue:

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No, he is simply trying to hide the fact that a majority of the batsmen from teams outside the subcontinent lack the skill to force the pace on subcontinental tracks... That is why they always play for survival and draws... And to come out criticizing the same then is a bit rich.
Yes, like all the draws when Australia won 2-1 in a 3 test series.

Son Of Coco

If that is a disgrace so are NZ pitches of 2003 and every Perth pitch before 2000 eventually calmed it down.
Yes, the similarities are amazing :dry:

Mumbai wasn't good enough. Simple. It's not the only pitch that hasn't been, but mentioning Perth before 2000 is exactly your type of ridiculous.

Son Of Coco

yeah... with their batsmen scoring at a glorious rate of 70+... 8-)

Dude, they won coz of better bowling...... Not because of more positive batting.
Your intitial point was that overseas batsmen played for draws and survival. I didn't see the addition of the disclaimer that they must bat at 70+ all the time to be considered 'positive' until now.

And it was my mistake in saying 2-1 in a 3 test series, it was 4 tests.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Well... If you think they played at any time in a manner that would take the game away from the batsmen (esp. the first innings).. I saw them bat and apart from Clarke and maybe Hayden and Langer in Chennai, most of the time they were batting out time against the spinners, frustrating them rather than attack them from the get go as they would do if they were playing, say, in Australia.. The recent series is a much better example of what happens, esp. because they don't have McGrath there anymore (Warne never really mattered much against India)..

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Well... If you think they played at any time in a manner that would take the game away from the batsmen (esp. the first innings).. I saw them bat and apart from Clarke and maybe Hayden and Langer in Chennai, most of the time they were batting out time against the spinners, frustrating them rather than attack them from the get go as they would do if they were playing, say, in Australia..
No at various points during the 2004 series all the AUS batsmen combined defenisve batting & aggressive batting during that series. It was a key part of the game-plan, since on past tours to IND most famously 2001, AUS where ultra-agressive againts the spin & that costed them.

honestbharani said:
The recent series is a much better example of what happens, esp. because they don't have McGrath there anymore (Warne never really mattered much against India)..
I have a bad feeling about this quote, but i shall give you a chance to elaborate on what you mean here..

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
So he knew weather conditions hampered pitch preparations.. And yet he wants an ENQUIRY? Enquiry abt what? Why it rained on those days???????????? :laugh:
If we use what poster Sanz said...

Sanz said:
Yes but Day 2&3 of a test match come immediately after the first day of a test match not after 6 months of summer.

Soil was already soft because of the extreme rain that reason, 1st day rain made it softer, delay in covering the pitches made it worse. Then play began and pitch could not stand firm. Matter became worse next day after a dose of Heavy Roller at the end of the play.
A set a boring reasons explaining why the pitch played poorly. Thats wasn't Ponting problem. Ponting don't live in India he came to play cricket, if these reasons/conditons where soooo serious it was up to your local officials & the board to consider changing the venue (Mumbai has two test grounds after all, plus the famous Eden Gardens to my disappointment didn't get a test back then).

When England toured West Indies in 1998 & 2009, the local officalls cancelled the test on real dangeorus pitches in lest than a session & rescheduled. Mumbai wasn't a safety risk, it just unfarily bowler freindly for both sides.

A lot of test matches gets delayed because of overnight rain etc. So for the one millionth time, Ponting was in his rights to complain. If the enquiry discovered what Sanz said or as you claimed "deliberate undepreparation by the groundsmen":laugh:...it still wouldn't have mattered.

Ponting has never complained of brought up this matter in the last 6 years after than post match interview on November 5th 2004. So if you Indian cats got Ponting in yall mind until now because of that, yall need to get a life FFS

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
A set a boring reasons explaining why the pitch played poorly.
Boring maybe but all facts.

Thats wasn't Ponting problem. Ponting don't live in India he came to play cricket, if these reasons/conditons where soooo serious it was up to your local officials & the board to consider changing the venue (Mumbai has two test grounds after all, plus the famous Eden Gardens to my disappointment didn't get a test back then).
Yes the match officials knew when they were scheduling the test match that it was going to rain on Day 1, Didn't they ?

When England toured West Indies in 1998 & 2009, the local officalls cancelled the test on real dangeorus pitches in lest than a session & rescheduled. Mumbai wasn't a safety risk, it just unfarily bowler freindly for both sides.
The fact that you remember a test from 1998 yet continue to miss a test that was played in australia in the year 2004 itself, tells that your intentions. Why not talk about the 2004 Test match that was played in Australia @ Darwin ? Let's see what you have to say about that wicket and please explain why you continue to ignore it.

A lot of test matches gets delayed because of overnight rain etc. So for the one millionth time, Ponting was in his rights to complain. If the enquiry discovered what Sanz said or as you claimed "deliberate undepreparation by the groundsmen":laugh:...it still wouldn't have mattered.
It seems it did matter because Mumbai is still hosting test matches and that kinda shows that the reasons were valid. I wonder why they have not scheduled another test match at Darwin since 2004.

Ponting has never complained of brought up this matter in the last 6 years after than post match interview on November 5th 2004. So if you Indian cats got Ponting in yall mind until now because of that, yall need to get a life FFS
Oh Really ? So Ponting has never complained about the pitch in last 6 years ?

Ponting unhappy with Centurion pitch | Cricket | Reuters (Centurion Pitch)

Ponting slams WACA pitch - Cricket - Sportal NewZealand

Furious Ponting takes aim at Indian groundsmen after comprehensive loss | Perth Now

Ummm...Let me see, just like all others claims made by you it turns out to be untrue as well. Ponting does have a habit of blaming the pitch when things do not go his way. So before you ask us to get a life, you need to check your facts. Dont just start making things up.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
No at various points during the 2004 series all the AUS batsmen combined defenisve batting & aggressive batting during that series. It was a key part of the game-plan, since on past tours to IND most famously 2001, AUS where ultra-agressive againts the spin & that costed them..
That's totally untrue. Indian spin bowlers were as efficient as ever. In 9 tests combined Indian spinners took 60 wickets. Kumble 27 in 4, Bhajji 21 in 3, Kartik 12 in 2.

India lost the series because its batsmen failed miserably. Only one 100+ inning was made by Indian batsmen in 4 tests. Not to forget the fact that India had a good chance to win in Chennai where there was no play on Day 5 India were chasing 228 and already had 19 on the board for no loss. So Despite piss poor batting bay India, India still had the chance to level the series.

Son Of Coco

Yes the match officials knew when they were scheduling the test match that it was going to rain on Day 1, Didn't they ?
Given they have covers, rain on Day 1 shouldn't have turned the pitch into a minefield. It has to be unprepared initially (whether that could be helped or not is another thing). If this wasn't the case every pitch would become very difficult with rain on the first day of a test. It doesn't happen.

And there were comments made about the pitch before the end of the match. So the result had nothing to do with it.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Given they have covers, rain on Day 1 shouldn't have turned the pitch into a minefield. It has to be unprepared initially (whether that could be helped or not is another thing). If this wasn't the case every pitch would become very difficult with rain on the first day of a test. It doesn't happen.

And there were comments made about the pitch before the end of the match. So the result had nothing to do with it.
It didn't JUST rain on day 1.. It was raining for a whole bloody month prior to it, which I would THINK can hamper pitch preparation.. And not like Punter didn't know about it.. Would have to be an even bigger idiot than I think he is to not have noticed something that was front page news in India during the whole tour...

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Boring maybe but all facts.
Irrelevant facts. The pitch played poorly, thats all that matters.

Poster Honestbharani just said

honesbharani said:
It didn't JUST rain on day 1.. It was raining for a whole bloody month prior to it, which I would THINK can hamper pitch preparation.. [/B]And not like Punter didn't know about it.. Would have to be an even bigger idiot than I think he is to not have noticed something that was front page news in India during the whole tour...

So if the locals knew about this month long rain before the test along with & as you are claiming it affected pitch preparation. Then the option the change the test match was potentially very much there.

The fact that you remember a test from 1998 yet continue to miss a test that was played in australia in the year 2004 itself, tells that your intentions. Why not talk about the 2004 Test match that was played in Australia @ Darwin ? Let's see what you have to say about that wicket and please explain why you continue to ignore it. '

STOP STOPPPPP.

- Firstly WTF does Darwin 2004 have to do about this?

- Secondly WTF are my intentions?

- Thirdly yes i saw the Darwin test is war as poor as Mumbai 2004, so whats your ponint??

- Fourthy how is Darwin 2004 comparable to Kingston 98 & Antigua 2006 as dangerous test wickets??

It seems it did matter because Mumbai is still hosting test matches and that kinda shows that the reasons were valid.
How does Mumbai hosting test now have to matter with the FACT that the pitch in 2004 played poorly?

I wonder why they have not scheduled another test match at Darwin since 2004.
:laugh: This boy is a clown..

Because Australia dont usually play tests in Northern Territory historically & AUS dont usally play test in July. Everybody knows AUS summer of cricket (internationally & domestically) is from October to March. Any more crap you wish to talk about??:laugh:

Oh Really ? So Ponting has never complained about the pitch in last 6 years ?
You clearly cant read i said PONTING HAS NEVER COMPLAINED ABOUT THE MUMBAI 2004 PITCH SINCE THE THAT POST MATCH INTERVIEW ON NOVEMEMBER 4TH 2004. DO YOU UNDERSTAND THISSS???. I WAS NOT TALKING ABOUT ANY OTHER COMPLAINTS

Yes i know Ponting tends to whine alot, thats is clear. But what i dont get is how you people are making such a big deal out of it. Why should you care about a cricketers personality??. All we as cricket fans should care about is what they do on cricket field. FULL STOP

:laugh: YOOOO this argument has gone to the dogs. Yo did even manage to read what Ponting said this is nothing more than a exaggerated media headline. Nowhere did Ponting criticize that Centurion pitch - he made a factual comment about what occured during the second innings when AUS batted.

quote said:
I never thought it would get that close when we were 138 for two with 20 overs left. But then I got out and it was not an easy pitch," Ponting told a news conference.

"If you lost a wicket, then it was really hard for the incoming batsman. If the bowler took the pace off then it was not easy to get the ball away and particularly hard to get boundaries.

"But we snuck across the line and we're where we want to be in the semi-finals," Ponting said.
Where did Ponting blast the Centurion pitch?. I dont know much or what credibility that link you posted has. But this i was Ponting said according to cricinfo

quote said:
"I was chewing my fingers nails up there for the last little bit," Ponting said after the game. "That ended up being closer than I thought was possible. We snuck across the line."

The result left Australia on top of Group A with five points, compared to Pakistan's four, which means they'll face England, the second-placed team in Group B, in the first semi-final in Centurion on Friday. Australia came to South Africa having won a bilateral one-day series 6-1 in England but despite that success Ponting was wary of a resurgent England team.

"We've just come from a really good series against them over there, but it's different conditions here to what we confronted over there and they've been playing some pretty good cricket of late," Ponting said. "We need to get back to the drawing board a little bit and talk about what went wrong in the last part with our batting this afternoon and make sure we don't do that again on Friday.

"As the ball got older it reversed a bit at the end and spun a bit for the spinners too so we were pretty lucky we restricted them to that total. I thought the bowlers in the second half of the innings particularly, did a good job."
Ready to give up now haha

This is how i know you either dont watch Australian cricket or know nothing about how Perth plays while totally misinterprenting what Ponting said here.

quote said:
Skipper Ricky Ponting was left disappointed by a flat wicket at Perth's WACA ground, saying the venue was rapidly losing its unique reputation for being a fast bowler's paradise.

Ponting was quick to point out the pitch wasn't responsible for Australia's six-wicket loss to South Africa in the first Test, as the Proteas made 4-414, the second-highest successful Test run chase in history.

But Ponting did say he was disappointed with the slow pitch prepared by curator Cameron Sutherland that offered bowlers from both sides very little movement off the deck, as shown by South Africa compiling over 400 runs in its second innings with relative ease.

And, the Australian skipper only just backed away from accusing the Western Australian Cricket Association of preparing dull pitches for Test matches in order to ensure the game went for five days, thereby maximising revenue from television coverage and gate receipts.

"The beauty of playing cricket in Australia is that you get a vast array of conditions all around Australia," Ponting said.

"I just got a bit of a feeling at the moment that this place has just lost whatever it had as far as its uniqueness."

"This Test match is basically being played on a wicket like Adelaide, it's not a WACA wicket whatsoever and we can all make judgments over why that might be."

"At the end of the day it's not an excuse, it's not the reason why we lost the game, we weren't good enough to take 10 wickets today and we weren't good enough to take them out of the game with out second batting innings."

"(But) I'm disappointed because of the result and I'm disappointed because the uniqueness of the WACA that it once had, that we keep hearing about every year, it appears that it's always there for all the state games but it's just not there for Test matches, which is I think pretty disappointing," he added.

When asked specifically whether the WACA might be preparing a flat Test wicket to maximise profits, Ponting simply replied: "I'm not telling you anything."

Pitch curator Sutherland has previously said the WACA pitches are undergoing a significant re-development phase, adding the venue's wickets were in the process of all being re-laid.

He said they were unlikely to have the pace and bounce that made them so feared during the 1980s and 90s for another couple of seasons and added that a crowded schedule of domestic and international matches played at the ground this year would hinder the process.

The crowded fixture has been caused by the aborted Champions Twenty20 League, which forced Cricket Australia to schedule four Sheffield Shield matches for the Warriors at the venue from October to November, along with several Ford Ranger Cup clashes.
:laugh:. Is WTF really really going on here, AFAICS this looks like some deep seeded hatred/dislike towards Ponting just pooring out.

Everybody who follows AUS cricket has been very disapointed at how Perth has
been playing like a road in recent years. Ponting was clearly right to be disappointed at what occured, BUT AS THIS QUOTE CLEARLYYYY shows Ponting never BLAMED THE PITCH FOR AUSTRALIA'S DEFEAT...

This happened at Perth again vs SA 05. A disappointingly flat pitch.

This was indeed probably a whine if he was blaming a poor practise session for the loss in the 2nd ODI. But as i said before who cares, Ponting & a weakened AUS team stepped up a beat IND, so it doesn't matter to me..

Ummm...Let me see, just like all others claims made by you it turns out to be untrue as well.
:laugh:. Nah uncle see above, only thing true about those examples abouve this that you are either a mad man, know nothing about AUS cricket or just had a STRONG personal dislike for Ponting...

Ponting does have a habit of blaming the pitch when things do not go his way.
Yea you have found 3 examples since Mumbai 2004 (along with this thread) & its a "habit"

- Australia have lost the Ashes TWICEEE is ENG did Ponting blame the pitch any time? NOOO

- Australia lost in IND 2008/09, did he blame the pitch any time? NOOOO

- AUS where knocked out of the T20 WC 2008 early, Did Ponting blame the pitches? NOOOOO

While you are at it, why don dont go through EVERY SINGLE TEST/ODI/T20 defeat AUS has had under Ponting since Mumbai 04 & tell us how much of those defeats Ponting has blamed on the wicket...

So before you ask us to get a life, you need to check your facts. Dont just start making things up.
:laugh: You are the ONLY one making stuff up, my facts is the only thing credible in this debate. Some of yall Indian posters are just bloody mad...yall make people like SJS look badd

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
That's totally untrue. Indian spin bowlers were as efficient as ever. In 9 tests combined Indian spinners took 60 wickets. Kumble 27 in 4, Bhajji 21 in 3, Kartik 12 in 2.
WTF??. What 9 tests?. I am talking about the 2004 series which had 4 tests

India lost the series because its batsmen failed miserably. Only one 100+ inning was made by Indian batsmen in 4 tests.
It seems to me like you are suggesting that India failing miserbably was just a fault of there own.

Let me remind you the IND batsmen failed because all of them where exposed technically by the magnificent AUS attack.

Tendy gets an excuse because he had a tennis-elbow injury.

Not to forget the fact that India had a good chance to win in Chennai where there was no play on Day 5 India were chasing 228 and already had 19 on the board for no loss.
Anything could have happened in Chennai. But if would tend to feel AUS chances of winning in Chennai where slightly better given how AUS bowlers had owned the Indian batsmen in that series.

So Despite piss poor batting bay India, India still had the chance to level the series.
As is said above although this was clearly possible. If IND had probably won in Chennai, it wouldn not have prevented AUS from winning the series. Since i would argue that AUS would have stepped up in Mumbai (especially in that 4th innings chase) if it wasn't a dead rubber. Since AUS throughout the glory years developed a very odd habit of losing dead rubber tests even when they dominated test series..

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
It didn't JUST rain on day 1.. It was raining for a whole bloody month prior to it, which I would THINK can hamper pitch preparation.. And not like Punter didn't know about it.. Would have to be an even bigger idiot than I think he is to not have noticed something that was front page news in India during the whole tour...
Ponting was not on tour all month. He technically didn't arrive in IND unitl sometine after October 21st 2004 according to this article

cricinfo said:
Ponting says Lee must wait
Wisden Cricinfo staff

October 21,

Brett Lee will almost certainly have to wait until the summer's home Tests to break back into the Australian team, the captain Ricky Ponting said today.

Ponting, who rejoins the team in India this week after recovering from a broken thumb, said Lee faced a struggle to regain his spot. "Unfortunately he's not getting a crack at the moment but we've got a lot of Test matches to play in Australia this summer and I'm sure he'll play a part in those," Ponting said. "He's been out of the side for a long time and the guys who have been in the side when he's been out have done very, very well."

Ponting said Michael Kasprowicz had been outstanding since regaining his place last year, Jason Gillespie had been picked in both World XI teams and Glenn McGrath was also bowling well. "Someone's always going to be unlucky - Brett's the unlucky one at the moment," he said.

Lee's year was interrupted when he injured his ankle during the tour of Sri Lanka in February but he has returned to full fitness. "By all accounts he's bowling very, very quick over there at the moment," Ponting said. "He's busting to get out there and have a go, but there's some tough selections to come up."

The recovery of Ponting means another difficult choice between Darren Lehmann, the stand-in vice captain, and Michael Clarke for the fourth Test in Mumbai. If he plays, Ponting might use a hand guard to protect the thumb he broke during the Champions Trophy in England last month.

"I'll test things out when I first get there," he said. "The first couple of days when I get there I'll just go pretty easily with catching and fielding drills. I just want to get used to feeling the ball in my hands again. But I have had some protective guards made for fielding, if I'm not overly confident, but I've still got another two weeks until the fourth Test comes around."
Plus given that the third test was won on October 29th & the 4th test began on Novemeber 3rd. AUS wouldn't have been in Mumbai that long before the 4th test.

Even if you claim IND has a national news paper that covers the entire nations, how do you know that Ponting read it?. But either way all this is irrelevant again - the pitch played badly, Ponting was in his rights to complain. Case closed.

Long may this ridiculous argument continue though :laugh:

Last edited: