• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bruce Yardly Dies

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Rest in Peace, was a valuable player for Australia in his day, and from all I've heard a top notch bloke too. Had a very distinctive action, likely because he started out as a seamer and and didn't take up offspin full time until relatively late

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
RIP.

Thing I remember about Yardley is that my dad said he was the best Australia had before they got Warne. I don't know if that was true but that's what I associate with Yardley's name.

aussie tragic

International Captain
RIP. First Australian spinner I ever saw. Then Ashley Mallett came back in after WSC, but wasn't long before Yardley was selected again.

Border, Hughes, Hogg and Yardley were the only 'traditional' players to really matter post WSC

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Very sad news. RIP.

He holds a special place for me, as he was the bowler when Dyson took that famous catch in front of the Hill at the SCG - I was there that day, and lost in all the Dyson hype was a screamer which Yardley himself took later that afternoon in the gully, which was an absolute ball tearer itself.

Vale the Roo.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Sad news. I don't remember him from my childhood (first Aussie spinners I remember are Bob Holland and Greg Matthews), but I came across the name in cricket books I read as a kid and then later when he coached Sri Lanka. Sounds like a good player and bloke.

the big bambino

International Captain
Before there was Colin MIller there was Bruce Yardley. An effective journeyman and about the only spinner Greg Chappell trusted. Remember him as always giving much more than his talent suggested he could and, apart from his bowling, his aggressive batting. Particularly a back away cut shot he'd play off his stumps and through point.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Remember him commentating on Oz's tour of SL in 2004; his delight when Muralitharan somehow slogged a 40 when neither side scored a run in their 1st innings being memorable.

Apparently there were lingering doubts over his action in England which is why he always seemed to be overlooked when Oz toured England in the early 80s.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Had the fastest ever 50 for Australia (off 29 balls) until Warner broke the record 40 years later...not bad for a #8

Burgey

Before there was Colin MIller there was Bruce Yardley. An effective journeyman and about the only spinner Greg Chappell trusted. Remember him as always giving much more than his talent suggested he could and, apart from his bowling, his aggressive batting. Particularly a back away cut shot he'd play off his stumps and through point.
Oh yeah, I remember in one of his innings the opposition had two fly slips, a third man and a backward point about half way to the boundary.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
RIP. First Australian spinner I ever saw. Then Ashley Mallett came back in after WSC, but wasn't long before Yardley was selected again.

Border, Hughes, Hogg and Yardley were the only 'traditional' players to really matter post WSC
Yallop? Averaged 43, with 4 hundreds. (Wood and Dyson played more Tests than some of the others, but without great success).

Zinzan

RIP. Played in the first ever cricket series I witnessed as a young whipper-snapper in 1982.

SFB

Cricket Spectator
RIP

Was only watching some footage of him bowling to Joel Garner after reading about him and Bob Appleyard a day or two before he passed.

The middle finer off spinner grip seems to generate a great amount of spin although its bloody uncomfortable when gripping the ball.