• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brett Lee vs Allan Donald

Who was the better fast bowler

• Brett Lee

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • Allan Donald

Votes: 41 83.7%

• Total voters

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Ishant was far worse than Lee for a good 7 or 8 years. Regardless of how much you dislike him to say Ishant is better is absolutely absurd and completely incorrect

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ishant was far worse than Lee for a good 7 or 8 years. Regardless of how much you dislike him to say Ishant is better is absolutely absurd and completely incorrect
Do you have any idea how terrible Lee was for all bar the first and last 18 months of his career? The bloke was ****ing horrendous.

Ishant is a good comparison for Lee, actually. Both a decent start then crap for eons before a couple of decent years towards the end. If Sharma’s decent patch lasts a couple more years, why wouldn’t he be better than the fourth member of Bros?

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Let us (and by us I mean you) start a Bret Lee v. Ishant Sharma thread. Seems like a more contentious topic

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Do you have any idea how terrible Lee was for all bar the first and last 18 months of his career? The bloke was ****ing horrendous.

Ishant is a good comparison for Lee, actually. Both a decent start then crap for eons before a couple of decent years towards the end. If Sharma’s decent patch lasts a couple more years, why wouldn’t he be better than the fourth member of Bros?
Ishant's era of uselessness was longer. Lee certainly used to frustrate me in tests, shouldn't have been given such a long rope at points, but did have some moments of genuine quality. People were citing Ishant's spell to Ponting as a reason to select him 7 or 8 years later.

Roach bowled better to Ponting a couple of years later anyway. Far better than either Lee or Ishant

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Lol this is going to turn into an attempt to make a Donald v Lee thread into something about Chokedulkar.
Agree. One of the Aussie poster would definitely take it down that path. You have already started in fact.

Bolo

State Captain
Ignoring the garbage skippy poll factor, how many people think there is a genuine case for Lee being a better odi bowler? There are genuine points to be made in lees favour here, despite all thr mud being flung in his direction

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He was certainly a lot better ODI bowler than test bowler, but I think he’s over rated in that format too. I used to find Lee so frustrating in one dayers because he used to be pretty expensive, but then again it might be I was comparing him to the other blokes he bowled with like McGrath, so my expectations may have been too high.

Bolo

State Captain
He was certainly a lot better ODI bowler than test bowler, but I think he’s over rated in that format too. I used to find Lee so frustrating in one dayers because he used to be pretty expensive, but then again it might be I was comparing him to the other blokes he bowled with like McGrath, so my expectations may have been too high.
Donald gave me the same impression in relation to pollock, fanie etc.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Lee is the worst bowler to 300 test wickets and is an utter spud.
I don't know why I thought Chris Martin hit 300 test wickets.

Not that it would have mattered; Martin was truly world class and Lee was no match for him, obviously.

Cow

Banned
I don't know why I thought Chris Martin hit 300 test wickets.

Not that it would have mattered; Martin was truly world class and Lee was no match for him, obviously.
About 290 of Martin's test wickets were Philip Hughes.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't know how you can look at Lee's record in ODIs and say he was anything but legendary in the format. His meh econ was canceled out by his insane SR, indicated by his very solid average. So let's just go by his hefty amount of wickets

Edit- his strike rate has been surpassed by a lot of modern players I see, but Lee's the only player to maintain one under 30 for a career longer than 80 matches, let alone the 220 he played

Last edited:

Cow

Banned
McGrath would get absolutely pumped by modern ODI/T20 teams. It's 90mph or leg spin... everyone else recieves throbbing ****.