• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brendon McCullum announced as England's test coach

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm wondering how he will gel with the Jimmy/Broad clique once they're back in the side. Those guys have been a headache for just about everyone.
Utter nonsense, yet I guess if things are repeated enough as facts it becomes true for many people.

Considering B-Mac knew that Anderson and Broad was going to be playing, as said by Stokes and Key, who probably know them more than people on the internet with whispering campaigns, I guess he's just fine having two of the best bowlers in Englands history over Sam Curran and assorted Overtons.

Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
if rob key makes changes with the red ball and maybe change the manufacturer to get a ball that swings less (he is a conservative. maybe a friend who is interested in manufacturing cricket balls for a govt contract?) and lets batsmen bat longer, it would do more good for eng cricket than whatever baz ever could do

grecian

if rob key makes changes with the red ball and maybe change the manufacturer to get a ball that swings less (he is a conservative. maybe a friend who is interested in manufacturing cricket balls for a govt contract?) and lets batsmen bat longer, it would do more good for eng cricket than whatever baz ever could do
That's already happening in County cricket this year, the Duke ball this year has a much less pronounced seam and goes softer quicker.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I have to admit to knowing little about his coaching methods, but from the comments here if he's some sort of Mr Motivator who's going to be telling Rory Burns to "go out and play your shots son" my level of optimism is not high.
If anyone says that, they don't know a thing about Brendon McCullum. He's much more calculated than that.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Utter nonsense, yet I guess if things are repeated enough as facts it becomes true for many people.

Considering B-Mac knew that Anderson and Broad was going to be playing, as said by Stokes and Key, who probably know them more than people on the internet with whispering campaigns, I guess he's just fine having two of the best bowlers in Englands history over Sam Curran and assorted Overtons.
It's a nonsense that Anderson and Broad were headaches for all involved and for quite some time?

Brendon will absolutely want those two involved, and it owes more to the personalities of Key and Stokes - two guys who don't follow the establishment - more so than it's not true that Anderson and Broad have been pricks in the environment for years upon years.

grecian

It's a nonsense that Anderson and Broad were headaches for all involved and for quite some time?

Brendon will absolutely want those two involved, and it owes more to the personalities of Key and Stokes - two guys who don't follow the establishment - more so than it's not true that Anderson and Broad have been pricks in the environment for years upon years.
It's certainly unfounded, I mean particularly with Jimmeh, I have said before I find it odd they have become a portmanteau of one person, it's very odd. Broad is definitely outspoken, and I could see him being a problem, but really no evidence of this. and we were number 1 in the World with them at one point, before our batting turned to ****ing ****e.

Xix2565

International Debutant
Yeah but back then you had an actual varied bowling attack, not whatever this is now that is mainly good in seaming conditions.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
It's certainly unfounded, I mean particularly with Jimmeh, I have said before I find it odd they have become a portmanteau of one person, it's very odd. Broad is definitely outspoken, and I could see him being a problem, but really no evidence of this. and we were number 1 in the World with them at one point, before our batting turned to ****ing ****e.
But is it unfounded? Do you know that for a fact? I've heard it a lot of places that it isn't. I also can't categorically say it's true because I haven't played for England, nor have I talked to anyone who has. I'm not having a go at all, I'm just saying it's very hard to say either way for you or I.

I don't think you can rule it out because those guys were in a side that was #1. That side was full of people of the same ilk - Swann, Bresnan, Prior, Anderson, Broad, they were in the majority. Winning often papers over the cracks of disharmony as well, and that team had skill all over the park. Word was that it was very hard to come into that side as an 'outsider' of that group, and if there was a lack of performance you were let known about it. Again, only hearsay. But they were two very different environments, then and now. Then, guys came into a winning environment. Now, it's not a winning environment, and these guys who aren't up to speed on Test cricket need leadership. Whether Broad or Anderson are providing that in a positive or negative sense, that's the question.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Hardcore fans will always be in denial about issues like this that affect their team. There are more than a few English fans on this forum that will never believe that this issue even exists

When I was a kid I genuinely believed that Warney had no idea he took a diuretic and it was all his mum

Chubb

International Regular
Like others I can see Broad being hard work, but it's worth recalling that Pietersen's book which essentially settled scores with everyone in the England team did not say much about Anderson at all, other than that he was a bit grumpy. If Anderson was even slightly difficult it would have come out then, surely? Not like Pietersen held back with anyone else.

tooextracool

International Coach
I do remember Pietersen accusing both Broad and Anderson (among others) of fostering an environment were bullying was normal, often going off on players for dropping catches off their bowling to the point where players were genuinely afraid of having the ball come in their direction. Broad has of course also been alleged of being behind the KP parody twitter account. Neither of them have particularly stellar reputations of being solid team men. Nonetheless, it probably speaks more to the captain and coach, than the players themselves, that this sort of culture was allowed to pass.

jcas0167

International Debutant

According to Vaughan he is good friends with Anderson, so it's unlikely to be a concern. https://www.theaccnz.com/news/ex-england-captain-questions-appointment/

grecian

I do remember Pietersen accusing both Broad and Anderson (among others) of fostering an environment were bullying was normal, often going off on players for dropping catches off their bowling to the point where players were genuinely afraid of having the ball come in their direction. Broad has of course also been alleged of being behind the KP parody twitter account. Neither of them have particularly stellar reputations of being solid team men. Nonetheless, it probably speaks more to the captain and coach, than the players themselves, that this sort of culture was allowed to pass.
So it's the stuff from KP yet again, *sighs*

I have said many times I don't know what happens in the England dressing room, but have seen no compelling evidence certainly, that Anderson is a problem. No auto-biographies slagging him off, no other players coming out to say so, and have heard a number critical of a person who seems to be behind these allegations. Ask James Taylor who made the dressing room uncomfortable to go into.

Again, if you ignore that ****, yeah I'm pretty happy to say it's largely unfounded. His accusations seem pure projection, everyone else was unreasonable in every team he played in apparently.

tooextracool

International Coach
So it's the stuff from KP yet again, *sighs*

I have said many times I don't know what happens in the England dressing room, but have seen no compelling evidence certainly, that Anderson is a problem. No auto-biographies slagging him off, no other players coming out to say so, and have heard a number critical of a person who seems to be behind these allegations. Ask James Taylor who made the dressing room uncomfortable to go into.

Again, if you ignore that ****, yeah I'm pretty happy to say it's largely unfounded. His accusations seem pure projection, everyone else was unreasonable in every team he played in apparently.
Seems like you are largely missing the point of the post which was addressing the fact that KP had not made any allegations against the other two referenced characters, not which of the 3 I'd like to have lunch with. Needless to say, good cricketers are invariably not easy characters to manage, Joe Root being a notable exception.

grecian

Seems like you are largely missing the point of the post which was addressing the fact that KP had not made any allegations against the other two referenced characters, not which of the 3 I'd like to have lunch with. Needless to say, good cricketers are invariably not easy characters to manage, Joe Root being a notable exception.
It was more a general chat about where all these rumours seem to stem from, probably should have been a reply to steveNZ's post TBH.

Yet honestly there's really very little I've ever heard about Anderson other than being grumpy, and if bowlers getting pissed at dropped catches were such a terrible thing, I think Australia would probably have the worst cricketing team in history, but unfortunately that's not true.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anderson and Broad being lumped together is not really fair on either of them.

Especially Anderson

Shri

Mr. Glass
I do remember Pietersen accusing both Broad and Anderson (among others) of fostering an environment were bullying was normal
lol he was a bully himself when it came to james taylor

like all other eng pretenders the guy could only dish it out and not take it