• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brendon McCullum announced as England's test coach

jayjay

U19 Cricketer
Utter nonsense, yet I guess if things are repeated enough as facts it becomes true for many people.

Considering B-Mac knew that Anderson and Broad was going to be playing, as said by Stokes and Key, who probably know them more than people on the internet with whispering campaigns, I guess he's just fine having two of the best bowlers in Englands history over Sam Curran and assorted Overtons.
Who said bmac didnt know?

I'm asking how he will work with them.

Calm down chuckles

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Mark Reason: Brendon McCullum is surely the most bizarre coaching appointment in cricket | Stuff.co.nz

I absolutely love this piece. Reason must've thought his days of bagging on McCullum were done. Then this story lands in his lap and he has the chance to train his sights for one last epic trollololol. He doesn't disappoint either. My favourite part is where he sneers that McCullum is betraying NZ by taking up an opposition coaching job before asking how well-known Englishman Gary Kirsten could possibly have missed out in the very next paragraph.

"I wish McCullum every success"

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
lol he was a bully himself when it came to james taylor

like all other eng pretenders the guy could only dish it out and not take it
Just look at his recent Twitter interactions, just shows how all this narrative drawn up entirely around his statements, is just nonsense, he is a vile bullying ****, and England did incredibly well to get what we did out of him.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Mark Reason: Brendon McCullum is surely the most bizarre coaching appointment in cricket | Stuff.co.nz

I absolutely love this piece. Reason must've thought his days of bagging on McCullum were done. Then this story lands in his lap and he has the chance to train his sights for one last epic trollololol. He doesn't disappoint either. My favourite part is where he sneers that McCullum is betraying NZ by taking up an opposition coaching job before asking how well-known Englishman Gary Kirsten could possibly have missed out in the very next paragraph.

"I wish McCullum every success"

Look, I'm not actually 100% sure it isn't the most *something* appointment of all time. Bizarre? Maybe not a word I'd use. But to appoint someone who hasn't (officially) coached a single delivery of red ball cricket - unless he's coached one of his kids - to take over an international team of the prestige of England and in such a massive hole that England is in, is certainly left field.

But the rest of it is horse ****. Reason either a) is unaware he's such a biased **** b) does it on purpose to incite reaction. Both are to be pitied. To even include 'I wish McCullum all the best' when anyone who's ever read his 'work' knows that's not 1% true, is a bit pathetic.

I mean, where do you start? The cherry picking of the less successful parts of McCullum's coaching career? No mention of winning a CPL, finalist in the IPL last year etc. And weirdly pointing to his stint in the PCL as a player, like that usurps all the leadership stuff he did beforehand. Saying it was selfish when his career ended, at 34 with a buggered back and exactly the right time to pass on to Kane. Insinuating he's got nothing to lose as England coach, as if coaches of that side get a nice charmed run from all involved when things are going bad.

My favourite part is where he suggests McCullum taking the England job ahead of the NZ series is like insider trading - because you know, only he'd know how we bat in a day where modern technology is scarce. I know Reason probably does what he does to gain clicks and get people riled up, but I don't know how you can affix your name to something that lame and not be concerned about the reputation you forge for yourself. He's actually a great writer when he's not being a giant douche.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
The more I think about it, the more I do think there's going to be as many bad days as good as England coach. His record IS scratchy to say the least as a T20 coach, although that's not exactly a format you're able to produce a lot of consistency in as a franchise leader. He certainly isn't used to leading a side with the mental and technical frailties that England has. Coaching them will be a lot different than guiding us out of the hole we were in back in 2013.

And OK, hand on heart I'm an unabashed Brendon fan. I just can't see how anyone can look at what he's chosen to do and not be at the very least in admiration for the willingness to take on a challenge. Money is no factor for Brendon. He currently lives the cushiest of lives, living with his family in NZ, training horses, talking crap on the radio and TV, flying around the world for the occasional franchise T20 tournament and playing golf the rest of his days. He's given up some of that, uprooted his young family, in the pursuit of something he has a burning desire to achieve in. In a world where (understandably) coaches and players often go the easy route for the cash grab, I think that's to be admired. It's definitely not the norm.

I think best case scenario, he comes in and repairs some of the breakdown in that England environment, whatever that may be. He plays a part in identifying the guys at first class level who can come in and be successful. England starts to potentially win those series' like the Windies ones that they should be winning. He's not going to be an Ashes hero nor make WTC finals I wouldn't have thought, but I think he can leave the side in a better state than he found it.

grecian

He needs to find some batsmen that can score runs, that's his job, everything else is incidental, Whether that's working better with some we already have, or finding new faces. It's pretty much as simple as that for me, in the short-term anyway.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
How do you know?
Read plenty of his stuff, when he's not being deliberately obtuse he can come across very knowledgeable and writes with a style that most sports writers lack. He can go past the usual 'derr Ian Foster should do this I have decided' paint by numbers stuff that most NZ journos wheel out. But lets himself down by often purposely going down the opposite path to the 'mainstream' view, and holding pathetic grudges like the one with Brendon. I do rate his viewpoint on concussion, a drum he beats regularly and I believe correctly.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Read plenty of his stuff, when he's not being deliberately obtuse he can come across very knowledgeable and writes with a style that most sports writers lack. He can go past the usual 'derr Ian Foster should do this I have decided' paint by numbers stuff that most NZ journos wheel out. But lets himself down by often purposely going down the opposite path to the 'mainstream' view, and holding pathetic grudges like the one with Brendon. I do rate his viewpoint on concussion, a drum he beats regularly and I believe correctly.
Haha it was a joke, I was implying we couldn't possibly know what he's like when he's not being a giant douche because he's always being a giant douche.

Flem274*

123/5
It's such a weird feud. I've definitely made some blunt assessments of McCullum's batting and politicking at times, but you gotta acknowledge the good times too.

I think McCullum will be very good for clarity of thought. Buttler in particular seems a bit aimless at the crease sometimes, and contrary to the aggression meme McCullum is pretty big on players knowing what they're good at and doing it, and on teams refusing to die.

But then, national coaching is completely different to international coaching, as numerous people discover across all sports. You can't just recruit someone elses...oh ok true England and NZ can, but yeah franchise coaching is massively weighted towards roster building and depth sourced from a wide player pool.

International coaches sometimes have to make do with what is available and tailor the team and plans towards what is avaliable rather than tailoring the players to the game plan and team you want.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
And OK, hand on heart I'm an unabashed Brendon fan. I just can't see how anyone can look at what he's chosen to do and not be at the very least in admiration for the willingness to take on a challenge. Money is no factor for Brendon. He currently lives the cushiest of lives, living with his family in NZ, training horses, talking crap on the radio and TV, flying around the world for the occasional franchise T20 tournament and playing golf the rest of his days. He's given up some of that, uprooted his young family, in the pursuit of something he has a burning desire to achieve in. In a world where (understandably) coaches and players often go the easy route for the cash grab, I think that's to be admired. It's definitely not the norm.
This is it for me. The argument Reason makes that this is a low pressure gig because England aren’t very good is laughable. Being coach of the English test team is probably second only to the Indian national coach in terms of the levels of scrutiny and pressure.

Teja.

Global Moderator
This thread reminded me of the McHesson coup to take out Taylor. The rage and drama on CW was next level.

Starfighter

This is it for me. The argument Reason makes that this is a low pressure gig because England aren’t very good is laughable. Being coach of the English test team is probably second only to the Indian national coach in terms of the levels of scrutiny and pressure.
I'd argue the Australian coach receives more scrutiny and pressure, but on the other hand the dressing room generally seems to be more harmonious.