• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

BREAKING NEWS:::: SHOIAB and ASIF ban Lifted!!!!!!

a10khan

School Boy/Girl Captain
silentstriker said:
They cheated = they should be banned. That is the extent of my arguments, and I don't think any further justification is required.

And eating beef off a juiced cow? Is that what you're claiming happened in this case? And yes, if they took multi vitamins that were contaminated -- too bad for them, and they should be banned anyway. Because there is no way to prove that it was the ONLY time they took it, and also they still received a benefit from taking the drugs. Therefore, :bann:.
Well, I am afraid that is a simplistic view. Too simplistic. And dont put words in my mouth. I am not claiming anything. All I know is that nandrolone is a controversial drug and many high profile nandrolone cases have come to the fore in the recent past.

You say it cannot be proved that the only time they took it was as part of the supplements. Similarly, it cannot be proved that they definetely consumed it outside of the supplements. It remains a moot point. The benefit of doubt has to go to the cricketers. They should be considered innocent unless proven guilty. Most similar high profile cases have gone in favor of the sportsmen, for a reason.

The education system also needs to be in place and the PCB shd be faulted for that, and they have been criticized by both the commissions. Even keeping morals aside, they were tested out of competition and WADA code doesn't apply. The "ignorance is no excuse" statement doesn't sell according to the PCB anti-doping laws. Remember, Pak is one of the few countries to actually carry out the tests and have a proper code of laws unlike India, SL etc.

For all we know Sreeshanth could be on juice while he wrecked havoc on the SA lineup. Its a cheap shot, yeah, but only to stress that PCB is serious about drugs in sports and has been carrying out tests for 2-3 years.

So, think twice before jumping the gun here. I see you and a couple other desperate to somehow justify a supposed ban when it doesn't really make sense with way too many arguments against it.

a10khan

School Boy/Girl Captain
silentstriker said:
They cheated = they should be banned. That is the extent of my arguments, and I don't think any further justification is required.

And eating beef off a juiced cow? Is that what you're claiming happened in this case? And yes, if they took multi vitamins that were contaminated -- too bad for them, and they should be banned anyway. Because there is no way to prove that it was the ONLY time they took it, and also they still received a benefit from taking the drugs. Therefore, :bann:.
Sorry, double post.

Last edited:

Choc

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Well I for one care for obvious reasons. Pakistan are heading to South Africa soon and our batting isn't exactly what I call class never mind top class. Hopefully we pull something right against the Indians or else it could be a pretty misriable time for us South Africans :cry: Our bowlers not to worried about they can pull things round in a instant.
Besides all my personal worries benefitting froma drug wether you know about it or not there has to be something wrong with that. To be honest I'm getting a little tired of hearing how they always seem to say it wasn't me I didn't know. Well if only all things were that simple.:@

gunner

U19 Cricketer
well this should prove they only took it once

the quantities foend in their bodies was only around 10mg

while the athletes always being found in the usa have over 200mg of nandro in their body and WADA lets them off

double standards i say

Slow Love™

International Captain
gunner said:

while the athletes always being found in the usa have over 200mg of nandro in their body and WADA lets them off
Interesting, if true. I'll have to do some reading up on this.

Dravid

International Captain
gunner said:

double standards i say
They still need to be banned.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
a10khan said:
Well, I am afraid that is a simplistic view. Too simplistic. And dont put words in my mouth. I am not claiming anything. All I know is that nandrolone is a controversial drug and many high profile nandrolone cases have come to the fore in the recent past.

You say it cannot be proved that the only time they took it was as part of the supplements. Similarly, it cannot be proved that they definetely consumed it outside of the supplements. It remains a moot point. The benefit of doubt has to go to the cricketers. They should be considered innocent unless proven guilty. Most similar high profile cases have gone in favor of the sportsmen, for a reason.

The education system also needs to be in place and the PCB shd be faulted for that, and they have been criticized by both the commissions. Even keeping morals aside, they were tested out of competition and WADA code doesn't apply. The "ignorance is no excuse" statement doesn't sell according to the PCB anti-doping laws. Remember, Pak is one of the few countries to actually carry out the tests and have a proper code of laws unlike India, SL etc.

For all we know Sreeshanth could be on juice while he wrecked havoc on the SA lineup. Its a cheap shot, yeah, but only to stress that PCB is serious about drugs in sports and has been carrying out tests for 2-3 years.

So, think twice before jumping the gun here. I see you and a couple other desperate to somehow justify a supposed ban when it doesn't really make sense with way too many arguments against it.

It is the responsibility of the cricketers themselves what they consume. They were caught with a banned substance in their system. There is no reasonable doubt, they are guilty and should be banned as such - the excuses concerning ignorance used to get them off are a complete joke.

R_D

International Debutant
=a10khanThe education system also needs to be in place and the PCB shd be faulted for that, and they have been criticized by both the commissions. Even keeping morals aside, they were tested out of competition and WADA code doesn't apply. The "ignorance is no excuse" statement doesn't sell according to the PCB anti-doping laws. Remember, Pak is one of the few countries to actually carry out the tests and have a proper code of laws unlike India, SL etc.
You know only reason PCB decided to do the test were because there were already rumours that few of the pakistani boys were on drugs so PCB decided to do tests. They did so they could avoide the ICC catching them...In the end it all worked out good for PCB. They managed to find their culprit.. made a example of them so more players don't go same path and than let them off for sqat.. all in all a good outcome from their perspective.

hahaha yeah right.... The whole Asif is village idiot and PCW didn't educate him etc.. is the worst excuse anyone can come up with. Claiming ignorance doesn't mean you should get away with crime. Both of them have taken illegal substance and should've been banned. Hopefully WADA wins the case and gives these drug cheats the ban they deserve... imho no one will respect pakistan team while these 2 play.

Whenever u take samples for any tests,they r given numbers(code) on that sample bottle instead of the names of the individuals ,but in these tests,everyone's sample contained the code number but Shoaib & Asif's had their names written on their respective samples which is a sheer violation of rules onot only that of WADA but also that of PCB itself.So,in this case the committee made the right decision by lifting up the bans of Shoaib & Asif because otherwise,it would've really been severe injustice with both of these innocent fast bowlers.

Scaly piscine

Saurav Ganguly said:
Whenever u take samples for any tests,they r given numbers(code) on that sample bottle instead of the names of the individuals ,but in these tests,everyone's sample contained the code number but Shoaib & Asif's had their names written on their respective samples which is a sheer violation of rules onot only that of WADA but also that of PCB itself.So,in this case the committee made the right decision by lifting up the bans of Shoaib & Asif because otherwise,it would've really been severe injustice with both of these innocent fast bowlers.

Where did you get this story from?

gunner said:

double standards i say
Yes,I don't understand these people r so biased against Pakistan,whether these poor guys committ a crime or not,they r taken to be criminals without any evidence.I trust PCB & the tribunals appointed by them because whenever it was necessary,they banned the culprits.The best example of that is the former Pakistan captain Saleem Malik.

Scaly piscine

Saurav Ganguly said:
It was in a Pakistani urdu newspaper 2 or three days ago.
Sounds like a load of cobblers to me. The appeal revolved around a pathetic argument about ignorance which is contrary to all common sense and previous cases.

Scaly piscine said:
Sounds like a load of cobblers to me. The appeal revolved around a pathetic argument about ignorance which is contrary to all common sense and previous cases.
Some PCB official also confirmed that news anonymously.

social

Scaly piscine said:
It is the responsibility of the cricketers themselves what they consume. They were caught with a banned substance in their system. There is no reasonable doubt, they are guilty and should be banned as such - the excuses concerning ignorance used to get them off are a complete joke.
Complications here because of the testing environment (outside ICC jurisdiction and so on) but basically you're correct.

These guys took drugs (and plenty of people knew they were taking them apparently) and were caught - end of story.

The rest is pure floss designed to create an element of doubt as to why they did it.

To me, it's the difference between the penalty applied for murder and manslaughter, not murder and not guilty!

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Saurav Ganguly said:
What does that matter anyway? They admitted to taking them. It's not like someone has messed with their samples.