• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boxing thread

Niall

International Coach
Good night of boxing this weekend, Shakur v Valdez obviously could be fun, but I think we can all agree its all about Taylor and Serrano.

Taylor is arguably Ireland's greatest ever sports person, and her achievements in boxing and how she inspired so many is remarkable, but she has looked a little slow last few fights, to be fair understandable she is 35 after all.

I don't see it been stopped, but this might be end of the line for Katie, Serrano wins IMO.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Had Taylor winning that fight by one round.

Thought the commentators were a bit biased towards Serrano.

Probably deserves a rematch.

Niall

International Coach
Anyway slightly more developed comments on that fight as was on silly o clock for me!

I had it as a draw so yeah no issue with Katie winning, their was some talk about having this as 3 minute rounds, I don't think their was much in it tbf, but imagine if it was Katie would not have lasted round 5 if another minute left.

From a financial POV , Katie will want a rematch especially if she gets it in Ireland, but I think she should walk away now, has had a really long career and took serious abuse last night. She loses a rematch for sure.

Looking forward to Bivol next week, the poor lad is 5.0 with some UK bookies, seems very generous indeed.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Anyway slightly more developed comments on that fight as was on silly o clock for me!

I had it as a draw so yeah no issue with Katie winning, their was some talk about having this as 3 minute rounds, I don't think their was much in it tbf, but imagine if it was Katie would not have lasted round 5 if another minute left.

From a financial POV , Katie will want a rematch especially if she gets it in Ireland, but I think she should walk away now, has had a really long career and took serious abuse last night. She loses a rematch for sure.

Looking forward to Bivol next week, the poor lad is 5.0 with some UK bookies, seems very generous indeed.
Has had a great career but she’s going to get seriously hurt

Unfortunately, most can’t walk away

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not a gambling man but the odds for Bivol at the bookies are outrageous. For me the more I think about it the more I make him the slight favourite. I think it's a step too far for Canelo.

Last edited:

Niall

International Coach
I'm not a gambling man but the odds for Bivol at the bookies are outrageous. For me the more I think about it the more I make him the slight favourite. I think it's a step to far for Canelo.

I bet the 5.9 here, I assume its similar in NZ.

I know Saul probably murders him in the first round now ....

I suppose the logic is the betting market doesn't believe he has the power to get the KO and obviously if it goes to points then its a brave man to bet against Saul,,,,just ask GGG. :detective

Regarding Katie as Social pointed out, yep I don't think she has any interest in walking away, the prospect of headlining at home and the money that would bring is hugely tempting but she will take similar abuse and that's not great long term sadly.

Their is a chance it may not happen in Ireland due to all the Kinahan stuff though, the Irish police won't be as keen as Katie sadly.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
115-113 was a bit of a piss take, nevertheless; I reckon Bivol took it by 4 or 5 rounds at the very least.

The Russian (apparently) landed 152/710 thrown, Canelo 84/495.

social

115-113 was a bit of a piss take, nevertheless; I reckon Bivol took it by 4 or 5 rounds at the very least.

The Russian (apparently) landed 152/710 thrown, Canelo 84/495.
Didn’t watch it but Canelo generally gets a 2 round head start

Most experts seem to have it 4-5 rounds

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah i had it 9-3 or 10-2. At most you could give Canelo 4 rounds, and that's being very generous.

social

Canelo is really really good but he’s no Mayweather & never has been

He generates huge amounts of revenue due to his nationality but there’s many better fighters than him

jayjay

U19 Cricketer
Yeah i had it 9-3 or 10-2. At most you could give Canelo 4 rounds, and that's being very generous.
You'd have to count Canelo's walk around the ring as legit punches to give him 4 rounds.

On my card he was lucky to get 2 rounds and that's cos I felt sorry for the dumpling.

The post above me covers it perfectly, Canelo is a very good fighter but he is nowhere near p4p the best of the last few years. In that time period I'd rate Usyk, Crawford, Gonzalez, Estrada, Inoue and Fury on skill alone to be ranked above Lil Nelo.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Think that's a bit harsh. Dude was fighting at light-heavyweight, well above his natural weight, and fighting (IMO) the best in that division (yes I think he's better than Beterbiev).

Not only is Bivol very good, and bigger than Canelo, he's also a nightmarish style match for him and I can't understand why Reynoso took the fight. I legite think he would have a better chance against Beterbiev.

thierry henry

International Coach
I'm just ****ty because I emptied out my TAB account on a succession of **** horse racing tips from mates, couldn't top it up because I had the wrong phone number associated with the account, and then those same mates refused to put the bet on for me on Sunday. Just wanted $40 on Bivol decision to make $280.

Re: Canelo, I'm not entirely sold on the arguments about him being way above his natural weight. He's been 170lbs minimum on fight night for a decade now with the exception of the Mayweather fight (I figure he's probably in the 180s now but acknowledge that involves a little bit of bulking up). At bare minimum he's a big middleweight, and from about 2012 - 2017 he was obviously a massive weight cutter at 154/155 and generally beating smaller opponents. Being short poses its owns challenges but he's "naturally" (the concept of "natural weight" always strikes me as ephemeral anyway) stocky.

jayjay

U19 Cricketer
Think that's a bit harsh. Dude was fighting at light-heavyweight, well above his natural weight, and fighting (IMO) the best in that division (yes I think he's better than Beterbiev).

Not only is Bivol very good, and bigger than Canelo, he's also a nightmarish style match for him and I can't understand why Reynoso took the fight. I legite think he would have a better chance against Beterbiev.
What's harsh about that? In terms of skills every guy I named is superior to Canelo.

Canelo has a career which is cleverly manipulated into making some fans, especially casual boxing fans believe the hype...before this weekend there was talk on Sky, ESPN, DAZN, iFL etc that Canelo would legitimate challenge Usyk LOL The same Canelo who has been given about 5 gift decisions in his career, more than any top flight fighter I have seen in nearly 25 years of watching boxing.

Btw, Canelo didn't lose the Bivol fight based on size, there were no size issues what so ever. He was simply outboxed by the superior boxer, as was the case gaainst GGG, Lara and some may say Trout and Cotto. Heck Canel owas being soundly out boxed by fat Saunders until he quit.

If anyone is surprised Canelo was so easily out boxed, they haven't been watching his career.

jayjay

U19 Cricketer
I'm just ****ty because I emptied out my TAB account on a succession of **** horse racing tips from mates, couldn't top it up because I had the wrong phone number associated with the account, and then those same mates refused to put the bet on for me on Sunday. Just wanted $40 on Bivol decision to make $280.

Re: Canelo, I'm not entirely sold on the arguments about him being way above his natural weight. He's been 170lbs minimum on fight night for a decade now with the exception of the Mayweather fight (I figure he's probably in the 180s now but acknowledge that involves a little bit of bulking up). At bare minimum he's a big middleweight, and from about 2012 - 2017 he was obviously a massive weight cutter at 154/155 and generally beating smaller opponents. Being short poses its owns challenges but he's "naturally" (the concept of "natural weight" always strikes me as ephemeral anyway) stocky.
Agreed and lets not forget he KOd Kovalev and many casuals and just Canelo fan girls used that as an excuse to talk about how great he was, p4p no.1 etc etc etc....and they refused to acknowledge Kovalevs weight demands, broken hand, alcoholism, reluctance to train and throw any meaningful punches and general apathy towards boxing at that stage. Now those same people I see on iFL, ESPN etc are complaining about Canelo's size, or supposed lack of, when he has finally fought an opponent without insane demands on injury...or someone who happened to be good enough lol

How can that even be an excuse?