• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boxing thread

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
In any case Joshua deserves massive respect for this performance and he proved a lot of us wrong. Really excellent jab. Almost a Klitschko-esque turnaround.

When someone makes those types of changes it's really hard to write him off against anyone, including Wilder and Fury.

Grasshopper

State Vice-Captain
Who else in the division can he fight? Pulev??? zzzzzz.

Joshua has actually done a better job than Wilder of fighting guys in and around the top 10...there's not really anyone left for him to fight. Maybe he could fight Usyk? I doubt that though. Way too high risk, very little reward, and you don't want to have to go through losing the belts again.
Apparently the WBO has ordered Joshua to fight Usyk within the next 180 days or he'll be stripped of his belt.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Apparently the WBO has ordered Joshua to fight Usyk within the next 180 days or he'll be stripped of his belt.
They'll pull something IMO. Don't get me wrong I think Joshua is a favourite against Usyk given that the latter still hasn't fought a decent heavyweight. But it doesn't stack up in terms of risk/reward IMO.

They'll either figure out another mandatory for one of the belts, drop it, or just try and go straight for Fury/Wilder.

Niall

International Coach
Pleased fury v wilder announced. Bookies have Fury slight fav but for me this is 50/50,,but gun to head will back Wilder,,,that power is absolutely frightening.

Looks like AJ v Pulev,,,zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Usyk v Chisora also speculated,,,don't hate that tbf. Usyk needs these sort of fights before he fights the elite.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haven't seen Parker fight recently but was smh at his promoter's claim that he'd be the A side against Usyk

Usyk is a big name everywhere bar the US (not to mention world champ, Olympic champ, unified cw champ, p4p top 10 and no. 1 contender for WBO) while Parker is in danger of becoming a journeyman

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Haven't seen Parker fight recently but was smh at his promoter's claim that he'd be the A side against Usyk

Usyk is a big name everywhere bar the US (not to mention world champ, Olympic champ, unified cw champ, p4p top 10 and no. 1 contender for WBO) while Parker is in danger of becoming a journeyman
His whole team is a complete joke.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Would guess Parker is a bigger brand name than Usyk in the People's Republic of Brit too.

No comment on their respective merits as fighters though, but.

That said, I don't think Chisora is a complete gimme for Usyk. Bloke's a massive ****, but he's very game. Has taken Fury and Wlad the distance and destroyed whatever was left of David Price last time out. He'll be a genuine test for Usyk, IMHO.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Would guess Parker is a bigger brand name than Usyk in the People's Republic of Brit too.
Really?

He's only ever been involved in boring AF fights in the UK, whereas at least Usyk has knocked out Tony Bellew, who has quite a following in the UK.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Really?

He's only ever been involved in boring AF fights in the UK, whereas at least Usyk has knocked out Tony Bellew, who has quite a following in the UK.
Ex-world heavyweight champ though and fighters from Australasia tend to be generally well thought of up here, in a second-hand patriotic, Commonwealth kinda way.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Parker rumoured to be fighting Wach. Pretty pathetic matchmaking if it's true. It was always gonna go one of two ways once he got his payday...but really thought he might give things a proper shot.

There are really good fights out there for him. If you want to fight someone over the hill, you could at least fight Povetkin or Ortiz or Chisora. There are also plenty of up-and-comers he could fight. Guys like Michael Hunter or Joe Joyce or Oscar Rivas. He could even try pushing hard for the Whyte rematch.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Parker rumoured to be fighting Wach. Pretty pathetic matchmaking if it's true. It was always gonna go one of two ways once he got his payday...but really thought he might give things a proper shot.

There are really good fights out there for him. If you want to fight someone over the hill, you could at least fight Povetkin or Ortiz or Chisora. There are also plenty of up-and-comers he could fight. Guys like Michael Hunter or Joe Joyce or Oscar Rivas. He could even try pushing hard for the Whyte rematch.
Not good

Does nothing for his career

Pretty sure that we agree that he should have changed his management & trainer long agt

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Re-watched Fury-Wilder 1.

I really don't get why people say that Fury dominated the fight other than the knockdowns. Sticking out your tongue and showboating and false bravado shouldn't win you rounds. I actually thought Wilder won most of the earlier rounds and in some respects was out-boxing Fury and even out-jabbing him. Wilder has a really underrated jab, and was successfully jabbing to the body and his counter left hook was very successful. Fury won most of the latter rounds by managing to put Wilder off his game. Wilder stopped jabbing to the body and stopped using that counter left hook, and kept on head-hunting.

You'd expect Wilder's team to review the fight and see that they went away from the counter left hooks and jabs to the body.

Grasshopper

State Vice-Captain
Wow, that was about as one-sided as it gets. Fury was incredible and Wilder was totally outclassed. Didn't expect that tbh.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Apparently Wilder has a guaranteed rematch clause in his contract, but will he exercise it?

That was a comprehensive beating.

Think Joshua would be well advised to give Fury a swerve for a while too.

Won't pretend for a second I like the bloke, but one has to doff the cap to Fury; superb technician for a man of his size.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Doubt Joshua will swerve Fury tbh. Nothing about Joshua's career suggests he wants to duck anyone, and he arguably has just as impressive resume as Fury.

I still think Fury - even with this win - has been incredibly selective in his match making.