• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boxing thread

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Lol Joyce continues to dismay. Juggernaut is very appropriate. Decent jab and just an insane work rate and sheer force of will.

Fair to say that was too early for Dubois. Mentally seemed to fade when he saw that Joyce was able to take his punches. Not sure whether that's something that can be fixed with experience or whether it means he just doesn't have to fighter's spirit required.

Niall

International Coach
someone much more intelligent than me said Wardley might be the man to keep an eye rather than Dubois when it comes to UK hype could be right!

Framton etc chatting about Joyce v Usyk, I like Joyce but he won't be winning that but heh probably will get a good payday out of it.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
lol UK scorecards dodgy AF...

Had Joyce one round up at the time of the stoppage, and he was certainly coming on stronger down the stretch. Dubois is only 23. Fair to say he has time to learn a few things.

Not sure why Joyce is calling out Usyk. That's a nightmare fight for him. Why doesn't he go after Tyson Fury? Obviously he's not a favourite against any of the top guys but surely Fury is a bigger payday.

Niall

International Coach
I think Joyce knows a fight with Tyson will never happen. Tyson won't fight many more times and when he does its either elite fighters like Joshua or spuds as warm up fights, Joyce is neither. I don't know what other money fights for him that he could have either sadly.

Usyk will be much more tempted, high profile fight and a useful test for him as from all accounts Whyte has no interest in fighting him.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Lot of ex-pros saying Dubois swallowed it in there. Pretty much the worst thing one boxer can say of another is he quit, and Frampton, Haye, Liam Smith and Matt Macklin all used the "q" word.

Does look bad from the clip above. It's no more than a regulation jab from Joyce and there's definitely a beat between it connecting with Dubois's damaged eye and him taking a knee.

British heavyweight scene has been littered with chaps who've been talked up into contenders and fed a diet of bums only to come unstuck against the first opponent who isn't a glorified punching bag.

David Price the most recent example, but there's also been Audley Harrison, Pele Reid, Matt Skelton and Danny Williams in relatively recent years.

Dubois might be another.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
They should be careful using the word quit. Many did it after the Benn/McClellan fight. Anyway Joyce shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near the top contenders.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
What's wrong with using the word quit? It is the dictionary definition of what he did.

It doesn't mean he's a coward or not a fighter or anything like that. You can quit for very valid reasons - e.g. you can quit when you have a legitimate injury (which it appears he did have).

BoyBrumby

Englishman
They should be careful using the word quit. Many did it after the Benn/McClellan fight. Anyway Joyce shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near the top contenders.
More often than not boxers need to be saved from themselves. Rightly or wrongly there's definitely a pride in a pro being carried out on his shield.

McClellan and Michael Watson are possibly the most egregious examples in living memory of failure of duties of care on the parts of their corner, the referee and the commissioning board. As one understands their catastrophic brain injuries might have been mitigated if a doctor had been present at ringside, as is now mandatory.

Anyhoo, not sure what to make of Joyce. He's big, game, strong, has stamina and has an awesome chin, but his MO seems to be outlasting his opponent by absorbing punishment.

Think he'd be a decent match for Usyk or Fury (not to suggest for a second he'd win), but do worry for his health against the seriously concussive punchers like Joshua and, especially, Wilder.

Think Whyte or Chisora would be a decent next contest before one of the big boys. The latter match more likely to be made as I don't think Whyte's people would want to take the chance.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
What's wrong with using the word quit? It is the dictionary definition of what he did.

It doesn't mean he's a coward or not a fighter or anything like that. You can quit for very valid reasons - e.g. you can quit when you have a legitimate injury (which it appears he did have).
It’s not being used as a literal definition, it’s being used as a derogatory term.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
My point was in response to Brumby talking about ex-boxers saying that he quit when they would have had to be carried out of the ring, and they should be careful what they're saying. Not sure what your point is.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
The point is to attack the points if haye etc rather than further adding to the taboo of the word quit.

He did quit, that's ok.

Wanting to get carried out if the ring is ****ing stupid.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Just to clarify, when I used the phrase "carried out on his shield" I was speaking metaphorically rather than literally.

I meant for a boxer to have given his all rather than literally be stretchered out of the ring.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
That’s almost certainly what the ex-boxers who tweeted that and similar meant as well. It was the use of the word “quit” as an accusation that I consider unwise, and that’s what a few ex-pros did.

Niall

International Coach
Some much needed banter from Yarde to lose to a man who only has a jab and hurt his right hand early. The fight was their for Yarde but he clearly has idiots in his corner. The worst thing is due to how close the decision was he probably think's he has to change nothing and will have learned nothing from this.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
These people are just taking the absolute piss.

Heard that logan paul dude made heaps on ppv sales as well.

Complete morons is the answer.