• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boxing thread

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Watching the boxing in Australia and Jeff Horn's promoter is implying that Arum "manipulated" the system to have Terrence Crawford ranked no. 1 contender

Maybe so but it is Terrence friggin' Crawford
Its standard for the WBO. Terry Flanagan just did the same - dropped the WBO belt at 135lb and is then made number one contender for the vacated 140lb WBO title, and we had the same situation last year when Canelo was installed as the WBO number one middleweight contender after dropping their 154lb title.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member

Love Spence here. Max and Stephen trying to put words in Spence's mouth...he doesn't take the bait. I rate Crawford too but Thurman is still the most proven guy in the division. If Crawford demolishes Horn, then sure, we can re-assess. Until then Thurman is the big fight.

I just wish Thurman would pick his nuts off the floor and get going.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Spence’s next fight apparently being announced today. Presume it won’t be a "big" fight as all the names are tied up but at least he is active this year. Thurman's fight with Vargas and a load of other Showtime / PBC fights (Stevenson vs. Jack, Lara vs. Hurd, Broner vs. Figueroa, Santa Cruz vs. Mares II) being announced as well.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Usyk vs Briedis.

What a fight that was. Right man won in the end in Usyk but I think Briedis' stock rises even with the loss.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Looking forward to the Gassiev-Dorticos fight. Think Gassiev drills him but can’t see either of these two beating Usyk.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Looking forward to the Gassiev-Dorticos fight. Think Gassiev drills him but can’t see either of these two beating Usyk.
Sticking my neck out here but I think Dorticos' style could be all wrong for Gassiev. Yes, he's very basic with his 1-2s, but when you have an 80" reach why would you throw anything other than straight punches? It's possible that Dorticos has just sailed through against poor opposition, but he does have a pretty extensive amateur career too. I do like Gassiev though.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
FOTY candidate. Hope Dorticos chin hasn’t been permenantly cracked. How he got up from the first knockdown I have no idea. Be great if they could get Dorticos vs. Briedis as chief support for the final.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
FOTY candidate. Hope Dorticos chin hasn’t been permenantly cracked. How he got up from the first knockdown I have no idea. Be great if they could get Dorticos vs. Briedis as chief support for the final.
+10000

This cruiserweight tourney is ****ing amazing. Cruiserweight in general is such a good division right now. Welterweight may be the only division with comparable quality, but those guys won't bloody fight each other. Long live the WBSS.

Briedis-Dorticos would be another great fight but yeah, I think Dorticos should take a good 6 months off after this. These are the types of fights that end careers.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
yup.

Groves has his flaws too but he won this fight convincingly IMO. Landed that chopping right hand regularly, Eubank has no jab.
Agreed plus no straight right and couldn’t deal with the movement of a guy who’s hardly a defensive genius

Many of his misses were embarrassing

Kid needs to get away from his dad and get a serious trainer

Shame as he has a motor, heart and a chin

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Agreed plus no straight right and couldn’t deal with the movement of a guy who’s hardly a defensive genius

Many of his misses were embarrassing

Kid needs to get away from his dad and get a serious trainer

Shame as he has a motor, heart and a chin
The guy is a phenomenal athlete, it's bizarre that someone who grew up with a father in the sport has such a deficit in the fundamentals. It's like he's trying to be Roy Jones Jr without understanding range.

Reckon Groves will KO Callum Smith in the final. TBH I thought Smith was losing most of the Skoglund fight. I don't rate him at all.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
The guy is a phenomenal athlete, it's bizarre that someone who grew up with a father in the sport has such a deficit in the fundamentals. It's like he's trying to be Roy Jones Jr without understanding range.

Reckon Groves will KO Callum Smith in the final. TBH I thought Smith was losing most of the Skoglund fight. I don't rate him at all.
He looks the part aesthetically but he gassed in this fight and is so slow on his feet. Scorecards were very generous as well to him and at least two legit knockdowns were missed. I think Groves hurt him early on and could have taken him out but fancy he will knock Smith out as well.
Though good to see Jr. call out Truax straight after the fight. Wonder why he didn’t call out Benavidez?

Niall

International Coach
Wilder is so ****ing raw its unreal, but yeah that power:-O

Enjoyed that fight, Ortiz not exactly a gimme whatsoever. I do think Wilder wouldn't have enough to beat Joshua, but when you can produce magic like Wilder, always got a chance.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Wilder is so ****ing raw its unreal, but yeah that power:-O

Enjoyed that fight, Ortiz not exactly a gimme whatsoever. I do think Wilder wouldn't have enough to beat Joshua, but when you can produce magic like Wilder, always got a chance.
There's method to his madness, but aside from that the dude is insanely fit. Quite a ridiculous feat for a heavyweight to be able to expend that much energy in the ring. Hats off to Ortiz too.