• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bowling speeds

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
For those of you who've heard the word "exponential" and started hiding in the corner:

Code:
Time	MPH    	KPH    
0.40	112.500	180.000
0.41	109.756	175.610

thats about how fast i serve playing tennis ;)

will have to go and clock my bowling sometime soon.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Healthy dig but how fast would the average grade cricket bowl. Even lower than 1st grade etc

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
A few people from my club have been to Aus and played at the lower grades, and said that first and even second change bowlers were probably bowling 110/115kph (early 70s mph) and that the openers were pushing 120kph and a few quicker. This was specifically at 2nd grade so not sure about others. Definitely had to adapt from the slow and low Scottish wickets haha

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Unless things have changed since my day, IN GENERAL, the biggest difference between 1st and 2nd grade is consistency/ability to bowl to a plan rather than pace

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Agree with this. There are blokes playing threes and fours who bowl serious gas but spray it around everywhere. They aren't picked ahead of fellas who are 10-15kph slower but consistent and move it around. Also, they play with the Kooka test ball in Ones, and having talked with fellas who've been promoted through the grades, it's a ****ing dirge for bowlers who come up from twos. Whereas batsmen who come up actually don't find it quite as hard depsite the better bowling, because the ball does a lot less.

Also, Harry king has daybooed for Parra in ones at the age of 18 and is a genuinely consistent gun bat. One to watch provided he stays injury-free.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
That's pretty seriously quick! 87-90mph in old money. I had no idea he was so rapid.

I've never been clocked, but I'd guess I'm around the 65mph mark. If I make an effort to bowl quicker I tend to lose my line.
Travis friend at his best was ~85mph

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
We have measured some speeds. Most of the university level fastest bowlers (who are grown up adults) bowl between 110 - 115k. There were two particularly pacy bowlers, one measured 125 - 130 and other 130 - 135k.

I bowled my leggies and was regarded as a rapid off break bowler, with offies 85 - 90k.

All stats show we are wat slower than international standards.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Our method is very simple. We bowl with a 5cm square net by the side of the bowler. 25fps cam is good enough, 60fps one is super accurate. We average the distance the ball traveled in first three frames after the ball has left the bowlers hand, and then calculate the speed. A bright light at the bowling crease nicely produces a shadow of the ball and the net which can be filmed from the opposite side if you can cover the side of the practice net with a translucent paper big enough.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I honestly think speed at release point is not as good a measure to show what difficulty it may pose to the batsman as a few other things when it comes to bowling.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
If we can actually measure the speed it reaches the batsman at, it will be so much better. Although the numbers would be much lower than release point speeds.

TheJediBrah

how tho? You're saying that if it starts off slightly slower but maintains it's speed more over the course of 22 yards it's harder to face than if it starts off quicker and slows down more by the time it reaches the batsman?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
No, I just mean if we know the speed of the ball when it reaches the batsman, it gives you more of an indication of what he is facing.

TheJediBrah

No, I just mean if we know the speed of the ball when it reaches the batsman, it gives you more of an indication of what he is facing.
Yeah I know what you're saying but it doesn't make sense. The effect speed of the ball has on the batsman is a function of how long it takes to get from the bowler to the batsman. What difference does it make where in the journey the speed is relatively speaking?

Last edited: