• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bowling attacks better than the current NZ one in Zimbabwe (knee jerk rage thread)

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Agree with most others here, NcCullum is a non-starter for Test matches, it's that simple.

There's no good reason at all to consider him. If you were wishing to add to the batting depth (and I don't think they need to) then Franklin would be a far better option than NcCullum to fill that middle to lower order spot with the bat & to roll his arm over for a few overs.

As Steve said, with Young @ 7 or 8 & Southee @ 8 or 9, that's more than enough depth to even contemplate Franklin (who's rubbish with the ball these days), let alone NcCullum
(who's even less penetrable with the ball than Franklin)
Agreed. I would take Franklin to Australia, as cover for Jesse at No.5. I still think he has something to offer the Test side, as much as that may dismay NZ fans

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
So because we don't have guys who stay at the crease for long periods, you think we should select a lower order hitter?

Say we select a spinner on your theory, well then Todd Astle would be the number one guy in the selectors mind because;

i) he takes a lot of first class wickets
ii) he is an ex-opening batsman
iii) he is an aggressive leg break bowler, which will add something different to our attack

Moving on to our fast bowling stocks, how are you so positive we don't have good young bowlers when you live over in India?
Why wasn't he taken to Zimboland

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Because it's NZ tradition to select bowlers who've had absolutely no first-class success, while ignoring those who do for as long as possible.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Or because he went to the Emerging Players Tournament and got belted all over the shop. I think my logic is more solid, but either way.

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah, he got absolutely smashed.

I wouldn't consider taking him to Australia, but if we were forced at gunpoint to select a spinner who can bat, he would be my choice. Him or Bruce Martin actually, come to think of it.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Reece Young batted at No.8 in the last Test, and he's a very accomplished player. I'm happy with that. And Tim Southee may well be at No.9 in Australia - he isn't there yet, but he is more than capable of being a solid contributor.

I rate McCullum very highly in our limited-overs side, but he won't get people out in Test matches. We have a part-timer in Williamson that will do almost as much as he would offer. Unfortunately other than them, we don't have anyone within cooey of being a Test spinner.
So because we don't have guys who stay at the crease for long periods, you think we should select a lower order hitter?

Say we select a spinner on your theory, well then Todd Astle would be the number one guy in the selectors mind because;

i) he takes a lot of first class wickets
ii) he is an ex-opening batsman
iii) he is an aggressive leg break bowler, which will add something different to our attack

Moving on to our fast bowling stocks, how are you so positive we don't have good young bowlers when you live over in India?
my main point of Nathan McCullum or any other all rounder as the 5th bowler was purely to strengthen the NZ batting and also keeping in mind the strong Australian bowling lineup.

But I agree with what you people are saying as you know more about the players doing well in the domestic tournaments in NZ and there might be better options available. Lets see what the squad is like. I want to see some good cricket from NZ, especially Williamson and Vettori.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
My issue is we don't seem to have a spinner's network in this country that is contributing to our future, or our present for that matter.

Jeetan has gone backwards, at a rate of knots. Dan is Dan's own man, so that's probably irrelevant to a point. But we haven't produced anyone in a long time that has given hope to earning higher honours. Our U-19 spinners generally seem to be flat off-spinners or similar left-arm orthodox (maybe put that one down to the demands of Twenty20 etc).

Until we produce one, we're going to struggle to win Test matches. Wasn't the Zimbabwe one our first 2 and a half years, or something stupid? We'll get ourselves into reasonable positions on day five and be unable to bowl a side out - which is pretty much what happened last week apart from King Doug skittling them.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I suspect karan hasn't seen Big Fat Jesse play test cricket if he thinks he's just a blazing type.

Chewie

International Vice-Captain
my main point of Nathan McCullum or any other all rounder as the 5th bowler was purely to strengthen the NZ batting and also keeping in mind the strong Australian bowling lineup.

But I agree with what you people are saying as you know more about the players doing well in the domestic tournaments in NZ and there might be better options available. Lets see what the squad is like. I want to see some good cricket from NZ, especially Williamson and Vettori.
Playing Nate would worsen the batting...