• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Biggest sporting event...the 2005 Ashes or the 2005 Lions tour??

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm interesting in people's thoughts (particularly from British posters) of which event will be the biggest as far as british sport (and world sport for that matter) is concerned. In "biggest" I suppose I mean money, hype, t.v ratings and general interest.

Hope I'm not going to far off topic .....I know this is a cricket forum at the end of the day :cool:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
zinzan12 said:
I'm interesting in people's thoughts (particularly from British posters) of which event will be the biggest as far as british sport (and world sport for that matter) is concerned. In "biggest" I suppose I mean money, hype, t.v ratings and general interest.

Hope I'm not going to far off topic .....I know this is a cricket forum at the end of the day :cool:
What is the Lions thingy?

I would go for the Champions league considering two of the four clubs are from England in the semis and people are all going gaga over the prospect of Chelsea winning it. :@

Zinzan

Pratyush said:
What is the Lions thingy?

I would go for the Champions league considering two of the four clubs are from England in the semis and people are all going gaga over the prospect of Chelsea winning it. :@
I wasn't talking about soccer. The Lion's is a rugby team made up with best of the 4 home nations.

I've got know doubts it wouldn't be well known in most Asian countries, thats why I was particularly interested in the British Perspective.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Robertinho said:
Ashes - because all the Poms think they will win it... :D
Sorry, but where has any English fan said they'll think we'll win the Ashes (and not said it in a joking manner) ?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
Sorry, but where has any English fan said they'll think we'll win the Ashes (and not said it in a joking manner) ?
Ironically thats the English fan for you. If a team goes into a competition with its captain saying they have a bigger chance of winning the next than the current ashes and the fans not even hopeful, its digressing.

Also, this is in sharp contrast to how they thought abot England bashing South Africa.

Extremes of reactions.

I would say the Indian fan is way too extreme after an event and the English fan is exactly that before it.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:
Also, this is in sharp contrast to how they thought abot England bashing South Africa.
Erm, nobody said England would bash SA - they thought the series would be close, but even with hardly anyone performing, England won it comfortably in the end.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
Erm, nobody said England would bash SA -
Most were optimistic they would wineasily against them. Atleast that is what was reflected before the series. It turned out to be a close, very good series.

Zinzan

cameeel said:
Thanks Cameeel ...for being the only one to answer my question as opposed to bringing soccer into it and debating whether English fans said they'd win the ashes or not :D

steds

Hall of Fame Member
All union, including the Lions tour, ranks at the very bottom for me. Even watching paint dry and slitting your wrists would be better sports

The Daddy

Cricket Spectator
marc71178 said:
absolutely right Marc....I can't remember any of us saying we'd win The Ashes.

The Ashes will definitely be bigger than The Lions tour, although I will of course be following both.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
marc71178 said:
He said it in a joking manner, so why do you feel the need to take his comment seriously?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
steds said:
All union, including the Lions tour, ranks at the very bottom for me. Even watching paint dry and slitting your wrists would be better sports
I guess it must be pretty depressing for you watching a rugby code with an international game of some consequence as opposed to league...

:D

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
zinzan12 said:

Hype - definitely the Ashes. Judging from England's recent performances in rugby, there appears to be a WC hangover in the British Isles most populated country and therefore few expect them to win. On the other hand, this is English cricket's best Ashes chance in memory.

Money - probably Rugby

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:
Most were optimistic they would wineasily against them. Atleast that is what was reflected before the series. It turned out to be a close, very good series.
No, most expected it to be tight before the series.

And it was not a close series.

pskov

International 12th Man
I am obviously more interested in the Ashes, but I am pretty sure that the country in general will be more hyped up for the Ashes than the Lions tour.

Link

State Vice-Captain
im looking forward to the ashes obviously, my video recorder will be doing overtime. That is the answer that every one will give so apart from that. The champions league final, an english team will be there (chelsea). And for some stupid reason i will yet again watch Wimbledon thinking Henman has a chance