• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Better test bowler: Kumble vs Anderson.

Kumble vs Anderson

• Total voters

shortpitched713

International Captain
Kumble probably won’t make even India’s ATXI any more whereas Anderson would.
Don't mean to single you out, but I think this is a highly irrelevant argument. We don't pick Chaminda Vaas over Andy Roberts just because the latter might miss the Windies ATXI...

And anyway, it's amazing to me how quickly we forget with a man like Kumble. To me these two are a great comparison, being the bowling lynchpins of their respective sides for similarish durations, and having similar downsides of conditions dependency. I guess you can call me an old man, but such a huge turnout in favor of Anderson over Kumble smacks of nothing more than recency bias to me, so voted Kumble for that reason.

subshakerz

International Coach
Don't mean to single you out, but I think this is a highly irrelevant argument. We don't pick Chaminda Vaas over Andy Roberts just because the latter might miss the Windies ATXI...

And anyway, it's amazing to me how quickly we forget with a man like Kumble. To me these two are a great comparison, being the bowling lynchpins of their respective sides for similarish durations, and having similar downsides of conditions dependency. I guess you can call me an old man, but such a huge turnout in favor of Anderson over Kumble smacks of nothing more than recency bias to me, so voted Kumble for that reason.
Anderson by virtue of being a pacer has an advantage over Kumble. Plus he was more useful in different conditions.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Is it no coincidence that both these players with such a gap between home and away records throughout their careers, would happen to hail from the two countries that feel like they're too good to use the Kookaburra, like everyone else? Should we put an asterisk next to both of their home records, and discount them as SG / Dukes assisted records (SG being presumably easier to grip and rip for a spinner, and Dukes more consistently offering conventional swing for longer)? Why did I wake up choosing violence this morning?

Find out these answers and more, on the next episode of Dragon Ball Z!

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
kumble is the fastest and best non-spinning wrist spinner of all time while anderson is just an ultra-lite pat cummins at best...so kumble... :ph34r:

Tom Flint

International Regular
Is it no coincidence that both these players with such a gap between home and away records throughout their careers, would happen to hail from the two countries that feel like they're too good to use the Kookaburra, like everyone else? Should we put an asterisk next to both of their home records, and discount them as SG / Dukes assisted records (SG being presumably easier to grip and rip for a spinner, and Dukes more consistently offering conventional swing for longer)? Why did I wake up choosing violence this morning?

Find out these answers and more, on the next episode of Dragon Ball Z!
We invented the game, we will use whatever ball we like.