• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best WC in a long time?

Howe_zat

Audio File
A "world cup" has to contain more than just the top sides.

No-one complains that the football version contains about 24 sides who have absolutely no hope of winning.

The current format worked because it gave the associates plenty of time in the spotlight.
Agreed. There's no point to calling it a World Cup if we don't see players, teams and cricketing stories that we don't get to see the rest of the time when we just play the top sides.

Incidentally, Evermind, I don't see how you decided the World Cricket League and the World Cup Qualifier tournaments don't count as "a pre-qualifying round or something".

The only issue I had with the current format was that there were far too many matches were the result almost didn't matter, because the group stage had so many matches. To me, there should be a maximum of four teams to a group.

Howe_zat

Audio File
But soccer doesn't last for an entire day with lots of one sided action. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for minnows in the WC, but we do need to have some sort of a limit. This WC - 2 minnow teams is perfect imo. Also, Afghanistan needs to play :P
It's easy to say in hindsight that Canda and Kenya shouldn't have come but Ireland and Afghanistan should. Remember that, flawed as it may be, the associates qualified with over two years still to go. Since then, Afghanistan have gone from strength to strength and Kenya have fallen away badly. If we had a qualifying tournament earlier in the WC year, we'd be more likely to have the more competitive teams.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yeah, I agree with that. If that leads to an associate surprisingly getting through, good on them.
Exactly. I have heard people say things like the seven-team group "rewards consitency" - well, who cares about consistency? That's not the point of a tournament. You may as well not bother and hand the trophy to the no.1 ranked team - they've been the consistent side in ODI cricket.

If I had my way, I'd have all knockouts from beginning to end. Of course, this isn't feasible - it'd be over too quickly and you can't make half the teams prepare for a world cup and fly out there just for one match. Four teams to a group ensures everyone gets a few games and there's plenty of matches to sell tickets to. But they all still mean something.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's easy to say in hindsight that Canda and Kenya shouldn't have come but Ireland and Afghanistan should. Remember that, flawed as it may be, the associates qualified with over two years still to go. Since then, Afghanistan have gone from strength to strength and Kenya have fallen away badly. If we had a qualifying tournament earlier in the WC year, we'd be more likely to have the more competitive teams.
Agreed.

turnstyle

State 12th Man
Heh, just heard straight from the horses' mouth that they're reconsidering how many teams for 2015. Hate to be so cynical, but now that India have finally won and all.....

Edit: the horse being Haroon Lorgat.

Last edited:

jan

State Vice-Captain
Best WC ever due to the fact it was my first one :)
Overall wonderful with all those surprise results and thrilling matches (thank you England). Browsing ebays and such to see if any dvds with highlights from previous WCs are available.

Well...
I didnt like the match where both teams were wearing the same red dresses.
Also the frequency of "injured" players and their replacements in some teams seemed quite strange.
And I honestly confess I cant stand that Sanjay guy as commentator.

keeper

U19 Vice-Captain
Exactly. I have heard people say things like the seven-team group "rewards consitency" - well, who cares about consistency? That's not the point of a tournament. You may as well not bother and hand the trophy to the no.1 ranked team - they've been the consistent side in ODI cricket.
Spot on.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Don't know where to post this rant. I am so ****ing sick of the "de ghuma ke" theme song. And now that India has won I am afraid I will keep hearing it on TV over and over again :@

Bun

Banned
Don't know where to post this rant. I am so ****ing sick of the "de ghuma ke" theme song. And now that India has won I am afraid I will keep hearing it on TV over and over again :@
Absolutely ****ty song. Cringes and makes me irritated every time I hear it. And those two lines keep on getting repeated.

Never really got played at the stadiums, vande matharam (ARR) was played during the finals esp during the break. Also were played Rang De Basanti (at Mohali as well).

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Heh, just heard straight from the horses' mouth that they're reconsidering how many teams for 2015. Hate to be so cynical, but now that India have finally won and all.....

Edit: the horse being Haroon Lorgat.
Haha. Well, regardless of the reasoning behind it, I'd be delighted if they did reconsider.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If they go with 12 teams I really hope they go with the 1992 format of each team playing each other once and then the semi-finals.

turnstyle

State 12th Man
If they go with 12 teams I really hope they go with the 1992 format of each team playing each other once and then the semi-finals.
But won't that just be a shorter version of the ODI league they're proposing?

Needs groups. Needs at least 12 teams (I'd still like to see 14). Needs to be shorter in time length. Maybe they'll consider it now India has won. Any other tournaments you guys wanna win? If it's going to start changing cricket for the best, be my guest :D:D