• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best test match number 3 since 1970?

Best test match number 3 since coloured television in 1970?

• Richards

Votes: 23 40.4%
  • Ponting

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • Dravid

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Williamson

• Amla

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Younis Khan

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Sangakkara

• Lara

Votes: 5 8.8%

• Total voters

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ponting very undersold here. Wouldn't take Sangakkara over him at all, unless it was to keep. Was the best batsman in an era of great batsmen for Australia. His two closest contemporaries preferred other positions in the batting order.

Unless we're playing in India. Then I'd take someone else.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Viv pretty clearly for me. No other no.3 batsman since 1970 came in with the intent of blasting the ball from the word go and yet averaged 61. Did so over a 10 year period as well. That is ****ing ridiculous.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Another impressive thing about Viv at no.3 was his away average. Almost 66 !

Averages 55 in Aus, 93 in Eng, 74 in Pakistan. Only place which he fared poorly was India which was a solitary series in 1983 when he averaged 19.

At home he averaged 56.

That is a great balanced record.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Viv. Out of others I’d be happier with Greg Chappell than a few mentioned in the list. I’m sure stats guru will show he was better at 4. But had he been at 3 his whole career I don’t think his overall record would be much different.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah he's up against Sanga, Lara, Ponting, Viv, who are all not massively but significantly better than him.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ponting getting short-changed here imo. The perfect #3 if you ask me. Had originally voted for him but couldn't see YK go vote-less since Amla, KW and Dravid didn't.

England First

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I’ll go for this
1. Dravid
2. Ponting
3. Williamson
4. Richards
5. Lara
6. Sangakkara
7. Younis
8. Amla

all amazing

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Ponting very undersold here. Wouldn't take Sangakkara over him at all, unless it was to keep. Was the best batsman in an era of great batsmen for Australia. His two closest contemporaries preferred other positions in the batting order.

Unless we're playing in India. Then I'd take someone else.
Without gloves Sanga averages 69 at #3. Then there is no comparison with anyone at all.