• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best test match number 3 since 1970?

Best test match number 3 since coloured television in 1970?

• Richards

Votes: 23 40.4%
  • Ponting

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • Dravid

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Williamson

• Amla

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Younis Khan

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Sangakkara

• Lara

Votes: 5 8.8%

• Total voters

England First

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Watching Williamson over the last month has inspired this thread. He’s incredible but he has some massive opposition at number 3. A prime Richards 76-82. Prime Ponting. My personal favourite is Dravid. And in tests it’s hard to look past Rahul.

Flem274*

123/5
sangakkara for me, as much as i love ponting and dravid. it could just be recency in the memory but that man was imperious no matter where in the world he was playing. his ton against bondy on a green one is probably the best knock i've ever seen in nz, and he followed it up a bit later with the hobart ton.

England First

sangakkara for me, as much as i love ponting and dravid. it could just be recency in the memory but that man was imperious no matter where in the world he was playing. his ton against bondy on a green one is probably the best knock i've ever seen in nz, and he followed it up a bit later with the hobart ton.
Could Kane catch him in your mind?

Flem274*

123/5
yeah he is a chance, but kane is mid-career so it's hard to compare him to guys who are all done. kane could go full abdv and retire on us every five seconds, go on a bradman imitation run, forget how to hold the bat or fully retire to pursue and adult entertainment career.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kane looks pretty solid technically but he hasn't done much in Asia. Hopefully the upcoming tour of Pakistan will change that but for that reason he's lower down the order for me.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Richards and Lara (especially) played most of their innings at other spots in the order so I’m going to exclude them. I’d say Sanga personally. Williamson could catch him you never know, depends how the rest of his career goes.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Viv Richards obviously, however:

1970s - Ian Chappell
1980s - Viv Richards
1990s - Lara
2000s - Ponting
2010s - Sangakkara

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Richards and Lara (especially) played most of their innings at other spots in the order so I’m going to exclude them. I’d say Sanga personally. Williamson could catch him you never know, depends how the rest of his career goes.
Yeah I voted for Lara but in hindsight probably shouldn't have given he only played about a quarter of his career in the position.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Dravid was always my favourite but would have to say that Sangakkara and Williamson have probably surpassed him now.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Williamson hasn't really played enough. Also quite a big HTB compared to a lot of the others on that list.

England First

That’s where viv Richards battered in his prime though isn’t it? And also it’s debatable that it was where prime lara battered also. So I had to include both.