• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Test batsman having average < 40

sunilz

International Regular
Thread idea came after checking batting average of Ben Stokes (38) who I feel is a very good Clutch player.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Some very good batsmen on that list. I'd probably go with Victor Trumper but of the more recent players I always really rated Marvan Atapattu

DJellett

International Debutant
Instinctive call Stephen Fleming. Then I went to check if he makes the cut and looks like he's over the 40 mark by a single run or two. Probably a point of pride, until now! Imagine there'd have to be some pretty huge candidates from the earlier years as we go deeper

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Instinctive call Stephen Fleming. Then I went to check if he makes the cut and looks like he's over the 40 mark by a single run or two. Probably a point of pride, until now! Imagine there'd have to be some pretty huge candidates from the earlier years as we go deeper
Fleming jumped over 40 in his final Test against England in 08. In typical Fleming fashion, scored two 50s without going on with it.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Attapattu, Jayasurya and Dilshan had careers largely coincide (Dilshan started a few years later) and all averaged between 39-41 with 14-16 hundreds in 87-110 tests each.

Then you had Jayawardene average 50 over 149 tests with 34 hundreds and Sangakkara average 57.5 over 134 tests with 38 hundreds as well.

There was an overlap of about 8-9 years with the above 5 players. Great, underrated batting order with Samaraweera and Matthews coming to the fore after Atapattu and Jaya retired.