• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best team since Waugh/ Ponting’s Australia?

Best team?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

subshakerz

International Coach
Please keep in mind that SA has always had a strong record in NZ. So drawing a series including a crushing innings loss in the first test isnt that outstanding a result historically speaking.

subshakerz

International Coach
Like I said, anyone who thought this RSA team beating India in their backyard was some kind of proof that India are not good needs their brains and biases examined.
Nobody said India werent good, but you need your bias checked if you dont think losing to SA wasnt a disappointing result and India werent favorites.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Please keep in mind that SA has always had a strong record in NZ. So drawing a series including a crushing innings loss in the first test isnt that outstanding a result historically speaking.
Nobody said India werent good, but you need your bias checked if you dont think losing to SA wasnt a disappointing result and India werent favorites.
Well, you have said it yourself. SA has a good record in NZ. India has a poor record in SA. It is not always about the better team on the paper winning the match. It is about whoever is better suited to the conditions.

Also remember you mentioning during the 2nd or 3rd test of the Ind vs SA series that even if India were to win the series, it would not be worthwhile. Sometimes your posts would be seen in better light if you give credit to someone who does well(regardless of the caveats). After all you can only play against whoever is up against you right ?

On a side note, I really rate the SA pace attack which won against India and think they will really do well in the future as well. They had the right physical attributes (6'3 + height range) as opposed to indian bowlers well below 6 feet. Hitting the deck hard and making the ball jump off an awkward length was the difference.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Its simple, isn't it? If a result proves him wrong, it was because it was expected and it is no big deal coz, reasons. :laugh:

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Why? If they're that **** NZ should be spanking them and it doesn't matter.

Also, NZ came to India and we were missing about half our team and beat them - in the end relatively comfortably. (Don't give me the 'they had us on a rope at one point' spiel - yes, they did...they're a good team. You'd expect them to. We had half a side missing).

NZ don't have Kane and they can't even beat SA or Bangladesh at home? We beat NZ at home (and should have clean swept them but for some rain, ****ty captaincy and good rearguard action). And this SA side could come here and we'd smash them too.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. India's home dominance is seriously underrated. They're a freakishly, freakishly good home team. You could argue with the recent England and the NZ series that some cracks are starting to appear (mainly that we can't put together huge scores, even at home) but the results are still standing. We're comfortably putting teams away in the end. And that run we had from 2016-2019 or something was incredible.

Which doesn't take away from the fact that India's eventual defeat to SA was disappointing - but I think people also underestimated this SA team clearly.

Chrish

International Debutant
Their side is either young/ inexperienced or made of senior players who aren’t consistent despite their potential. So, skepticism regarding their quality is understandable. However, it’s strange that some posters refuse to acknowledge the fact that this isn’t the same team that lost against current SL at home for example. They had different players debuting who contributed toward series win against India.

I am very curious how they would go in Australia. Australia will be favorite of course but SA have always managed to surprise everyone when touring there.

subshakerz

International Coach
Why? If they're that **** NZ should be spanking them and it doesn't matter.

Also, NZ came to India and we were missing about half our team and beat them - in the end relatively comfortably. (Don't give me the 'they had us on a rope at one point' spiel - yes, they did...they're a good team. You'd expect them to. We had half a side missing).

NZ don't have Kane and they can't even beat SA or Bangladesh at home? We beat NZ at home (and should have clean swept them but for some rain, ****ty captaincy and good rearguard action). And this SA side could come here and we'd smash them too.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. India's home dominance is seriously underrated. They're a freakishly, freakishly good home team. You could argue with the recent England and the NZ series that some cracks are starting to appear (mainly that we can't put together huge scores, even at home) but the results are still standing. We're comfortably putting teams away in the end. And that run we had from 2016-2019 or something was incredible.

Which doesn't take away from the fact that India's eventual defeat to SA was disappointing - but I think people also underestimated this SA team clearly.
I said that the SA team India faced recently was the weakest since readmission,

I also said India were favorites to win that series and losing was a disappointment.

I don't see how those points are controversial.

The point that somehow annoys certain posters is to suggest that India's recent loss to SA does put a dent in their reputation. IMO it does.

subshakerz

International Coach
Well, you have said it yourself. SA has a good record in NZ. India has a poor record in SA. It is not always about the better team on the paper winning the match. It is about whoever is better suited to the conditions.

Also remember you mentioning during the 2nd or 3rd test of the Ind vs SA series that even if India were to win the series, it would not be worthwhile. Sometimes your posts would be seen in better light if you give credit to someone who does well(regardless of the caveats). After all you can only play against whoever is up against you right ?

On a side note, I really rate the SA pace attack which won against India and think they will really do well in the future as well. They had the right physical attributes (6'3 + height range) as opposed to indian bowlers well below 6 feet. Hitting the deck hard and making the ball jump off an awkward length was the difference.
No, I think I said a few times that if India won in SA and Eng, it would plug up the holes remaining in their away record and I would consider them to have a better record than Smith's SA.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

I also said India were favorites to win that series and losing was a disappointment.

The point that somehow annoys certain posters is to suggest that India's recent loss to SA does put a dent in their reputation. IMO it does.

Its simple, isn't it? If a result proves him wrong, it was because it was expected and it is no big deal coz, reasons. :laugh:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Their side is either young/ inexperienced or made of senior players who aren’t consistent despite their potential. So, skepticism regarding their quality is understandable. However, it’s strange that some posters refuse to acknowledge the fact that this isn’t the same team that lost against current SL at home for example. They had different players debuting who contributed toward series win against India.

I am very curious how they would go in Australia. Australia will be favorite of course but SA have always managed to surprise everyone when touring there.
Can't say they've ever surprised me touring here, except possibly by how uncompetitive they were in the early 00s

_00_deathscar

International Regular

No, we're bringing you up on spouting **** like "Oh it's not that surprising NZ couldn't beat South Africa because SA have always had the wool over NZ" even though NZ are at home, while then also saying that India should be beating South Africa away even though we've never actually done that, and that is a much harder task even if the team isn't as strong as before - seeing as, you know, it's away...

subshakerz

International Coach
No, we're bringing you up on spouting **** like "Oh it's not that surprising NZ couldn't beat South Africa because SA have always had the wool over NZ" even though NZ are at home, while then also saying that India should be beating South Africa away even though we've never actually done that, and that is a much harder task even if the team isn't as strong as before - seeing as, you know, it's away...
You bringing in SA drawing in NZ in the first place ia a red herring. Your only bringing that up to make India losing to them more palatable somehow.

Were India favorites to beat SA going into that series of not? Just answer that question.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You bringing in SA drawing in NZ in the first place ia a red herring. Your only bringing that up to make India losing to them more palatable somehow.

Were India favorites to beat SA going into that series of not? Just answer that question.
India were favourites but his point is maybe they shouldn't have been as heavy favourites as people made out. It's a fair point considering how well they've done on a tough away tour here against a good side. I was skepitcal they'd continue to do well but so far they have, and they didnt even have Petersen. Not sure how you can get away with on the one hand saying the below:

but then also say India should've won in SA which they've never in their history done. Pick one tbh. Blatantly biased posting exposed by deathscar tbh. Good stuff.

I frankly will pick one and say India not winning in SA is still a big failure not just because of how inexperienced the team was but also because they were in winning positions defending good 4th innings targets in both games. Context matters. India ****ed those two games up, especially the second one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.